Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hiyas,

Sorry to bug ya'll, but this place is such awealth of informationand has so many friendly folks on it who know this bike intimately, that I need to ask a couple questions...maybe you can help?

Don't mean to insult anyone with my attempt at bastardizing a Wing, and I know some will think it disgraceful, but I've been thinking about removing the fairing on my '83 Aspencade, to replace it with a nonfixed cruiser-style windshield, due to a few reasons:

a)Radio/cb/intercom doesnt seem to function b) excessive heat from the motor(I live in the desert, which makes it worse) c) not used to fixed fairing bike where i cannot see the wheel, makes me a little skittish d) cracks on the right hand side that look like they may travel soon e)I like that fat giant headlight look with the light bar as well

Questions are:

1.Is there a specific type of headlight that must replace the current light, or will most all 12v lights operate okay on plug-in?

2. Have scoped out the wiring and it appears that just the headlight, turn-signal, volt gauge and radio/cb controls from the handlebar actually enter the fairing. Appears to be an antenna wire, 2 wires to the bars, and a large plug which I'm assuming light/turn/gauge are connected to. Is there anything I'm missing? Is it a difficult conversion?

3. Strapped between the forks behind the fairing is a large rectangular box...what is it, and can I relocate it to within the false tank or ?

4. Lastly...in the right hand fairing under pocket is a large box....not sure what it is....will I have to relocate it?

Will prolly ride it as-is to give it a chance for bit, just to check it out. Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

LarryG

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Sounds OK to me. Your ride is YOUR ride. Don't know about the blackbox(s), but here is another site that deals with just "naked" goldwings -
http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/
They might know a little more about conversions. This site has some pretty awesome gurus, though. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks alot guys..gonna have a look.

LarryG

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

1.Is there a specific type of headlight that must replace the current light, or will most all 12v lights operate okay on plug-in?

Any 12 v headlight will do I'd stay with a quartz unit sacrilige but try to use a yamaha headlight mount (fits forks the best for adjustment)and allows you to mount turn signals to it

2. Have scoped out the wiring and it appears that just the headlight, turn-signal, volt gauge and radio/cb controls from the handlebar actually enter the fairing. Appears to be an antenna wire, 2 wires to the bars, and a large plug which I'm assuming light/turn/gauge are connected to. Is there anything I'm missing? Is it a difficult conversion?

Basically unplug fairing lower inside left side connectors and the antenna undo bolts and lift it off

3. Strapped between the forks behind the fairing is a large rectangular box...what is it, and can I relocate it to within the false tank or ?

This box is a counterweight/junction box It is used to counterbalance the fairing weight BUT it is also used as a wiring junction box Leave it on OR design a nicer looking watertight cover

4. Lastly...in the right hand fairing under pocket is a large box....not sure what it is....will I have to relocate it?

This gold or silver "box" is actually your Am/Fm radio reciever for the Clarion Type II stereo that you have It comes with all the radio stuff

PS Iknow some one who will buy the whole shooting mach froom you sight unseen

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

One thing that I would wonder about... I recently converted my formerly nekkid wing to one with vetter fairing. I had to make the choice to cut the tabs that the turn signals mount to. This was to allow the fork to clear the fairing as the fork articulates.

I dont know if the tabs are absent on yours to allow the honda fairing mount. I they are missing, you will need to replace the sleeve that has them. Its also the point (all this is based on my gl1100) that mounts up the headlights. It looks as though the forks would have to come out, to allow the sleeve to go back on.

Make any sense?

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There are a couple of places that sell replacement headlight with a bucket. And turn signals. And mirrors. And others that sell the mounting ears. www.partsnmoreonline.com and www.oldbikebarn.com are a place to start.

Probably not. Easy?, dunno. I am getting ready to do it myself later this Fall.

That is the fairing weight. it weighs a good 5 pounds or so. Standard bikes did not have that weight. Take it off.

Probably one of the stereo / CB components. You aren't going to use it, so it doesn't need relocating.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I just went through all of this myself. My fairing was left under a leaking master cylinder and was cracked and broken so bad there is no chance of ever using it again.
The 3 pound weight can come right off, but all the wiring is tucked in behind it. The plugs coming out of the instrument cluster arent really long enough to tuck into the headlight bucket I bought, so I had to shrinkwrap and reroute alot of it. Some single pin connections I just soldered and wrapped.
I used after market "universal" bucket ears, and used the turn signals bolts to mount the bucket.
I've never had a faired bike either, so it wasn't much of a loss to me.
I am wondering how much wind I'm going to get hit with, given the very upright riding position. If it gets to bad I'll have to spring for a windshield too.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Hi Larry. Lots of Wings out there have been converted to undressed models. Sometimes because they have been crashed (new fairings are not cheap). Go for it, all you need is a headlight with pot and a set of turn signals.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Again, thanks all for the replies! Love this site! I Come here to search a problem and end up hours just reading all the other posts...heheh.

Gonna give it a go if I can't get the fairing patched like new, as it (due to cracks I suppose,) moves and bobs abit, which (in my paranoia) adds to the illusion of front end instability in my mind...rather uncomfortable. Tightened it down abit, but haven't had much of a chance to ride and test it yet as it's 115 in the shade here. Heat coming off the motor is rough enough. Gonna wait for evening. Actually starting to like fairing:), just wish it were a little more stable.

LarryG

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I low sided my 82 aspencade three weeks ago and trashed the fairing. Look out for fresh pavement, crown of road, and lots of water/oil from major truck traffic on a 102 degree day. Would have been fine if I had stayed in right hand tire track instead of transitioning over the crown of the road while accelerating into third gear.. ouch..

Removed fairing, not fun. Was surprised that Chilton's lacked info. Finally had to drill out the 4 screws, (2 on each side) that hold the inner lowers to the mounting bracket. Seemed like very poor design as this cannot be done without destroying the fairing. Also the inner lowers have edges that scratched the timing belt covers during the removal excersize.

Forks do not have mounting ears, so I 'm looking for a light bucket and turn signal bracket that will fit the forks. If anyone can help with year/model/supplier it would be greatly appreciated.

I took my first test drive without a fairing last weekend, the bike was lighter and much easier to handle. I'm going to hate not having a fairing when the weather turns cold but I must admit the bike handles a lot better without it. Will be looking to add an aftermarket detachable windscreen.

Thanks in advance for any advice..............

-=rider

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Sory can't help with model # re Yamaha I just saw a set at a used dealer a few years ago here in town had tabs for turn sig and the lot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.