Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got me a real swift idea brewing for massive improvement in sound quality of the stereo system.

Lets face it, even the best dash speakers are tinny as all get out. There is only so much air a 4in speaker can move.

I have found a nice 6.5in round speaker with dual voice coils. Do a bit of wiring so that the speaker outputs from the stereo go to this speaker {mounted in the tank tray} first and run through the crossover, where the bass side of each channel will be fed to the voice coils there, and the treble side of the crossover output is run back up to the dash speakers.

Even if a bit muffled by the tupperware, it would HAVE to beat the tinny sound of of 4in speakers!

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

As far as the wiring goes it'll work, but I cant help to think that most of those type crossovers REALLY limit the tweeter side to just a tweeter. I dont think you'll get much of anything out of the 4"ers. All your voices (left and right) will be coming from your 6.5" If you could find out where the crossover point is, that would help. For what you are trying to do, it would be nice if it was around, say, 200-500hz. That'll let your 4" play the frequencies they are really designed for. Good luck on your endeavor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.