Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda Goldwing 1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When turning corner at low speed bike has a tendency to fall out of second gear when I give it throttle have to put back in gear to keep going any suggestions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
When turning corner at low speed bike has a tendency to fall out of second gear when I give it throttle have to put back in gear to keep going any suggestions appreciated.
As Crystal said. Be sure you are pulling it all the way in to gear when you shift. There is a detent that should lock it in as long as you pull it in far and hard enough. You don't even want to think about any other possibilities..

·
Registered
2002 Honda Goldwing 1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As Crystal said. Be sure you are pulling it all the way in to gear when you shift. There is a detent that should lock it in as long as you pull it in far and hard enough. You don't even want to think about any other possibilities..
What are some other possibilities?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
What are some other possibilities?
The spring that locks the detent in place might have failed but I would think other gears would act up. The one no one wants to think of is the shift fork is bent in the transmission. Requires engine removal and complete disassembly.

·
Registered
2002 Honda Goldwing 1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spring that locks the detent in place might have failed but I would think other gears would act up. The one no one wants to think of is the shift fork is bent in the transmission. Requires engine removal and complete disassembly.
Thanks redwing52 I really appreciate the feedback what needs to be done to check the things you mention?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Some who ride the 1800 pull up with there toe preloading the pedal before pulling the clutch in. You would think a nice soft shift would be a good thing but not so. You need to lock it in good and firm. That would be my first thing to try. good luck....

·
Registered
2002 Honda Goldwing 1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks redwing52 I really appreciate the feedback what needs to be done to check the things you mention?
Some who ride the 1800 pull up with there toe preloading the pedal before pulling the clutch in. You would think a nice soft shift would be a good thing but not so. You need to lock it in good and firm. That would be my first thing to try. good luck....
Thanks again (y)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Heel toe shifter?

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I would try some of the simple maintenence stuff first. Change and bleed clutch fluid. Make sure brass pivot on clutch handle is not worn. How many miles are on this bike?
gumbyred

·
Registered
2002 Honda Goldwing 1800
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would try some of the simple maintenence stuff first. Change and bleed clutch fluid. Make sure brass pivot on clutch handle is not worn. How many miles are on this bike?
gumbyred
50600 miles

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
There’s ur answer,it does not work well on these bikes

Reactions: CrystalPistol
1 - 16 of 16 Posts