Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Motorhead again. I am going to flush the radiator whilechecking voltage and other maintenance. The shop manual says remove four bolts. Found the two backonesno problem.

Are the front ones thetwo which look like they hold the upper hinge?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

On my GL 1100, I need to remove both lower fairings and then with a long extension on a 10mm socket, remove the 2 bolts at the front of the false tank, one on each side. When sliding the tank off I find it easier to cut the strap holding the coolant overflow and slightly moving it back from the 2 tangs that hold it at the bottle neck. This coolant bottle has a single 10 mm bolt holding it aty the bottom. The false tank is a snug fit and needs patience, also remove all power by disconnecting the - terminal from the battery. Keep keys out of ignition since they will snag the false tank on the way in/out.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Rocky, The 87 must be different than my 80. The back two are under the seat. The front ones are hiding real well.

Thanks

Motorhead

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Some say that you can get to the front two bolts on the GL1100 by sticking a socket with an extension through one of the 3 vents in the fairing lowers.

Doesn't work if you have the chromed vent add-ons though!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Raymond,

I had the same thought, but I do have the vents. AR was right on the $. After scracthing my head and cursing my very poor Haynes Manual for an hour, the forum saves the day yet again!

I am going to order a Clymer book today!

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.............don't forget to use Silicate free anti freeze , after your flush... and if you are  "checking Voltages " whilst in there....  I would , one at a time... take out each screw  on the fuse box, and wire brush each (over a laid in shop towel ) with a toothbrush sized brass wire brush./forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif...... the greatest cause of voltage drops is simply corroded connections/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif... The %^$&@  false tank often snags on loose wires, and tubes  when going back. especially on the left lower side/forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif /forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif....   I boucht a big pack of "Zap Straps" at  the local EFAD's store.. and I use them to  neaten up the wire bundles every time I  remove the false tank ./forums/images/emoticons/smile.gif. SilverDave ../forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.