Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight, we finally made it to the KOA in Salina, KS

lots of crappy things got in the way of a pleasant trip.

Monday I had the oil changed on the Suburban, fluids checked, air filter cleaned of dust, it look like new, so it was put back in.

They discovered that the Tie Rod ends were loose, and the Sway Bar bushings worn completely out.... so that explained the "not so precise" steering and attitude on the roads.

They promised me if the Suburban showed up at 0700 they would get that job done and do a alignment on it, required anyway after the Tie Rods ends being replaced.

4:30 PM and no call, they should have been done by noon......
asked if it is ready, "Uh no, we got slammed today and couldn't get on it"....
no phone call asking if I want it back as it, or if it is Okay to wait until tomorrow.

I had already explained to them that I was leaving Wednesday morning at daybreak for Colorado and the truck must be home by Tuesday night.

well, it wasn't and I blew a fuse at them..... so they stayed and finished itup, but locked it inside :surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise: WTH??? I live 350 feet from their door, why didn't they call and say "it's done, come get it?"

to say that I am royally pissed won't even come close.

I was going to blaspheme them tonight on Facebook in the Oologah Community Gossip page........ but, I discovered another problem...

They did NOT check to make sure the steering wheel is straight before they aligned the front wheels.

it is cocked to the left so bad that it covers up the temp, fuel, and oil pressure gauges!!!~

so, they will fix that, and then i wipe them a clean slate on FB.

i am unhappy with a business that has always done me right for six years.
but, all of the good employees are gone, hired in new people who work at their pace. :frown2:

Okay, on to the next saga.... we get 3 miles away from home and the trailer starts doing a Dog Walk!!! :frown2:

The GL1800 being in the garage totally threw the balance out of wack! :surprise:
i knew it was going to change, but that much???? at 45 mph it was wig wagging so bad, I had to turn around and go over to our friends house, he is a welder among other things, and had an old Sway Bar that he could weld onto my hitch.

Got that done, and dropped the equalizer bars two inches.... that all done and we could go about 55 mph doing okay.... that is my nominal speed pulling the trailer anyway.... Except, a sudden wind gust hit us and it started wig wagging again.....

So, we move all of the portable heavy things to the front of the trailer....
Tmw the spare tire/wheel is also going forward into the shower, that is as far forward as I can get that heavy beast.... in all, we can move about 200 lbs out of the garage and put it within 2 feet of the front trailer wall.

That should make it roll a lot happier.
Now, the manufacturer installed 2 Sway Bar hitch balls at the factory, so they must have intended that 2 of them be used! Tonight, I am ordering 2 brand new Sway Bars to be delivered to our RV campsite in Colorado Springs, and then I will find a welder to attached the 2nd one..... with that addition, it should be more stable.

now, the 3rd or 5th thing that went wrong! :frown2:
the damn Electric Brakes quit working.... the controller has power, so don't know why they quit.... will attack that in the morning when the sun comes up.

The best thing though, is we are Safe and Sound, and made our first planned overnight stop.

JUST TRIED TO POST THIS, AND NOTHING, NO RESPONSE PERIOD!!!

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Doesn't sound like too good a start. I sure hope tomorrow goes better for you. Sounds so far like a couple trips I've made.

·
Premium Member
12,728 Posts
May the remainder of the trip be of better outcome John.

Add a 3rd axle to the trailer ? or move the two back 24" or so . I know thats probably not possible because of wheel wells.

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the issue is balance, and I will fix that by moving stuff forward.
and I will fill the fresh water tank quite a bit, it is forward of the axles.

i almost went home and took the bike out.

now, more to the saga, Cyndi went shopping and came home after dark.
the dash lights won't work on the Suburban...

so, there is something amiss with the electrics

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just not believing this!!!!!!!!

the power supply for my Dell laptop just burned up to a crisp!!!!

I am now using a very old ACER Aspire that is 32bit and slower than molasses in January.

but, at least it works.

Going to have to find a power supply some where, cut the cord off, and splice that to the cord that fits the Dell. already did that to one power supply.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Do you have a dedicated ground wire for the trailer brakes? I would look there first. Actually the first thing I would do is pull the trailer plug out and put it back in a few times and try the brakes. That has worked for me many times just due to corrosion and crap on the connections. And I plug in to several trailers fairly often but the contacts still get dirty, or bent and do not connect. If there is no connection that is usually indicated on the better controllers.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Maybe you should have pulled the Suburban with the wing.. (just saying)

Tomorrow is another day. Deep breath and onward..

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay,

fixed the trailer's electric brakes. had a suspicion what the trouble was.

GM does not include the 30 amp fuse for the trailer's hot brake wire.....
I didn't have one, so I jumpered in a piece of stranded wire to "check things out" and meant to buy a 30 amp fuse... it is one of the BIG physical size fuses, about 1.5" square.

well, the strands of wire didn't hold up very long and burnt up.
found a fuse yesterday and plugged it in and wallah! Trailer Brakes.

the little handle under the controller is super neat, I have it positioned where I can use my left hand and toggle that handle..... it will lock up the wheels on pavement if I hit it hard.

Today, I used that little handle a lot, coming down off ramps onto rough surfaces, and the truck's brakes weren't doing the job right, so I just sweet toggled the trailer's brakes to make it all mesh together down a steep little ramp.

love it when a plan comes together.

tomorrow, I am going to increase the brake boost on the controller so that the truck's foot brake makes the trailer come on a bit harder.

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happy to report that we found my sister at the RV camp.

Trailer brakes working like a champ. ?

Not happy to discover that something is causing 240 volt spikes cycling every 5 seconds.

Burned up 2 cell phone chargers and two laptop chargers before I figured out the problem.

Now using long extension cords for our sensitive electronics.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Happy to report that we found my sister at the RV camp.

Trailer brakes working like a champ. ?

Not happy to discover that something is causing 240 volt spikes cycling every 5 seconds.

Burned up 2 cell phone chargers and two laptop chargers before I figured out the problem.

Now using long extension cords for our sensitive electronics.
Loose ground wire?

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you have a bad/intermittant neutral connection on a 240v drop to the RV the 240v stuff will run OK but will do all kinds of very bad things to your 120v circuits, either extremely high or low voltage...

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Assuming you have the same setup as an RV go here http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondocker-Converters-_c_154.html And talk to Randy. I used the Boondocker in my RV and it works GREAT! Randy is familiar with all of the stock units and can recommend the perfect replacement.

i will look into that, the one it had was an Iota DLS30 and it will NOT be replaced.

For $54 at Walmart I got a fully automatic charger than can handle any type of battery, and in a pinch can be used to start a vehicle.

There is a empty cubby on the front wall of the trailer just above the battery.
It will sit in there and be just fine.

Found a universal laptop charger at Best Buy, and it is now charging up the battery in this Dell laptop, which was the first victim of the errant battery charger.

so, all is well, and I found a Battery Tender to stay in the bike's garage to keep ole yeller happy no matter how long she sits there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts