Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Peter,

we are at

Mountaindale RV Park and Cabin resort
2000 Barrett Rd
Colorado springs, Colorado

Barrett Rd turns off to the west of highway 115 which runs from Colorado Springs to Penrose, CO
it is on Google maps

We will be here thru Friday morning next,
we are at Site #86 which is straight through the camp to the west end, and then you loop around to the right and double back up on a higher level.

We overlook the rest of the camp which is nice, nothing behind us except for deer and trees.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Toy Hauler trailer had a bad tendency to want to Dog Walk with the GL1800 loaded in the garage.

We eventually over came that by adding one Anti-Sway bar to the left side of the tongue, plus filled the Black Water tank ( furtherest forward, just 48" from hitch ball ) and the Grey Water tank right behind it, that added 400 lbs of weight towards the tongue, to offset the bike's weight.

We also moved everything we could from the garage, and our stuff to the bathroom, that included the RV's spare tire.... altogether, that added up to about maybe 700 lbs shifted forward.

The trailer quit dog walking... but, I wanted more security for bad cross winds, of which we hit a few that pushed the trailer.

So, I had a 2nd Anti-Sway bar attachment added to the hitch.... found a welder that does custom work, is he ever good.... if my WiFi was faster than 1.5 mbps, I would upload a lot of pictures and a video of his plasma cutter that he hand built.

here is the hitch, the new stuff is what he did, the rusty is the one I did.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Might want to get a little lubrication on those balls (Oh THAT sounds good!), especially with all of the weight you have on the tongue.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Time to start for home

last full day here in camp, the bike is loaded up and tied down.

love that full locking wheel chock that is mounted to a 24" x 24" x 3/4" plywood base.

just slide it into the far corner of the garage and the weight of the bike holds it snug.
and the chock holds the bike vertical until I can get the tie straps on properly.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
0700 local, getting the trailer and Suburban hitched up, turn off the Battery Charger for the trailer's battery and secure it away.

Filled the grey and black water tanks to offset the weight of the bike in the garage.
that really did the trick for us coming up here. the extra weight was not even noticed pulling the hills.

the new sway bar added to the original one will help to counter act the side winds. Should have done that when we first got the trailer, but with an empty garage, it never once tried to wag its' tail. lulled me into not thinking it was needed... :(

I know better, been pulling these things since the '70s and all of them will wag their tails if not snubbed down when the pulling rig is a single tire on the axle.... I really rue the day I let my '98 Dodge dually diesel truck get away from me. that thing was a mule.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
93* here in Enid, OK...

left Dodge City, KS at 11 AM and had a few chores to do before we left, minor things, like gasoline :)
We went to 3 "pure gas" locations in Dodge City, and none of them have E-0

gotta love Western Oklahoma: Every gas station in Alva, Oklahoma advertised only 100% gas.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
12:30 home time,
trailer tanks drained, a/c hooked up so it will be cool inside tonight when we need to bring in stuff, and start the cleaning process tomorrow on the trailer interior.

how do they get so dirty??

Overfilled the black tank and the grey tank by mistake, never seen them so full, but no leaks.
big benefit though, the trailer hitch dropped 2 inches lower than normal and we cruised home at 63 mph WHEN the wind was behind us....

which most of the time, it was not.... it was either a direct head on at 30 mph with gusts from 0-40 mph which made life fun....., or when we turned due East, it was always out of the south somewhere, SSE or SSW, either way, it pushed the trailer and the Suburban a lot more than was enjoyable....

we always stayed in our lane as the Double Anti-Sway bars did a huge job, but a big push, is still a big push.... and it made my shoulders and neck very sore by the end of a day's drive.

But, we are home, and showered, and trying to unwind.....
why is home always so great to get back to, when we were in such a rush to be somewhere else??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Glad to see you made it home safe and sound and that you had a good time. I noticed you mentioned your 98 Dodge dually. I am still driving mine. I is a beast, I noisy one though. I liked it when I first got it but I am ready fir a quiet truck. I simply cannot and never will be able to afford a newer diesel.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Our 2001 Chevy Suburban with the 350 CI motor is NOT a diesel by a long shot...

but with patience and willingness to allow it to do the job, it will get you there eventually.

I bought an iTune programmer https://www.diablosport.com/performance-programmer-gm-vehicles/

and wow! what a difference that made.
Where before, the truck just hung up in drive and would not downshift properly, or even develop enough torque to upshift when pulling the Toy Hauler,
after reprogramming the engine ECM and the Tranny's controller, whatever that is called,
it now works like it should....

I was able to put the truck in "Tow Haul" mode, and when a hill was close, I just pushed the throttle hard enough to get it to downshift at the bottom of the hill while full speed was still with us, and it would go up 4% and 5% grades w/o loosing any, or very much speed.... drops of 2-3 mph I can live with.

On one 8% grade, it dropped all the way down to 1st gear and ran at 4500 rpm until we crested over the top, and then thunk, thunk, it went back to 3rd gear and 2200 rpm again.

The Suburban is the perfect vehicle for crowd comfort with big dogs and two people.
The Ford Excursion is also, we had to rent one of those a couple years ago after my daughter's car was Customized by a Buck Deer.

I could live with a new Ford Excursion if pressed to do so :rofl:
but won't be buying one myself, out of my league.

the '98 Dodge Diesel noise factor? worst vehicle I have ever driven for comfort....
pulls like a mule, but fuel mpg between 9-12 and noise so loud, I wore ear muffs.

I love the Fords best for their interior comfort and quiet, . the leather seat in my Suburban is too hard on my buns. Prefer cloth velour for that...

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Our 2001 Chevy Suburban with the 350 CI motor is NOT a diesel by a long shot...

but with patience and willingness to allow it to do the job, it will get you there eventually.

I bought an iTune programmer https://www.diablosport.com/performance-programmer-gm-vehicles/

and wow! what a difference that made.
Where before, the truck just hung up in drive and would not downshift properly, or even develop enough torque to upshift when pulling the Toy Hauler,
after reprogramming the engine ECM and the Tranny's controller, whatever that is called,
it now works like it should....

I was able to put the truck in "Tow Haul" mode, and when a hill was close, I just pushed the throttle hard enough to get it to downshift at the bottom of the hill while full speed was still with us, and it would go up 4% and 5% grades w/o loosing any, or very much speed.... drops of 2-3 mph I can live with.

On one 8% grade, it dropped all the way down to 1st gear and ran at 4500 rpm until we crested over the top, and then thunk, thunk, it went back to 3rd gear and 2200 rpm again.

The Suburban is the perfect vehicle for crowd comfort with big dogs and two people.
The Ford Excursion is also, we had to rent one of those a couple years ago after my daughter's car was Customized by a Buck Deer.

I could live with a new Ford Excursion if pressed to do so :rofl:
but won't be buying one myself, out of my league.

the '98 Dodge Diesel noise factor? worst vehicle I have ever driven for comfort....
pulls like a mule, but fuel mpg between 9-12 and noise so loud, I wore ear muffs.

I love the Fords best for their interior comfort and quiet, . the leather seat in my Suburban is too hard on my buns. Prefer cloth velour for that...

Did that Ford have a V-6 twin turbo?

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did that Ford have a V-6 twin turbo?

I don't know that I ever looked under the hood. I really doubt it though, because it had plent of punch.

It had more than enough power to pull my m/c trailer which was loaded up with doggie supplies, and our camping stuff. no bike on that trip.

it got about 18-20 mpg IIRC?

odd this just came up, I kept records on the fuel mileage in my phone right up until about a week ago, and though why? and deleted them :grin3:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Excursions usually had either the V10 or the Powerstroke diesel. That kind of mileage would sound like the diesel but you know what a diesel is. And you had to put gas in it so I am guessing a V10.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I don't know that I ever looked under the hood. I really doubt it though, because it had plent of punch.

It had more than enough power to pull my m/c trailer which was loaded up with doggie supplies, and our camping stuff. no bike on that trip.

it got about 18-20 mpg IIRC?

odd this just came up, I kept records on the fuel mileage in my phone right up until about a week ago, and though why? and deleted them :grin3:
We were looking at new trucks to pull a camper. I wanted a V-8. The salesman said that the v-6 turbo has a higher towing rating than the V-8. I looked it up and he is correct.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Don't believe everything a sales guy tells you!!!! They want sales and selling a monster SUV with a V6 is going to be a hard sell. Horsepower figures are great press but horsepower does not pull weight, torque does, And torque at lower rpms specifically. You are not going to get that from a small displacement turbocharged engine. If that were the case over the road trucks would have gone that route very quickly since fuel mileage is there bottom line.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Don't believe everything a sales guy tells you!!!! They want sales and selling a monster SUV with a V6 is going to be a hard sell. Horsepower figures are great press but horsepower does not pull weight, torque does, And torque at lower rpms specifically. You are not going to get that from a small displacement turbocharged engine. If that were the case over the road trucks would have gone that route very quickly since fuel mileage is there bottom line.
I have to tell you I doubted him at first. Then did some homework:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts