Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings,

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I can't find anything by searching.
Anybody know how to solve this:
The fan on my 86 Interstate comes on when I turn the key on, and remains on constantly.
Appreciate anybody's input.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

The fan switch is faulty and will need replacing. It's behind teh radiator and screwed into the thermostat housing on topof the engine.
BTW welcome to the forum.:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Eamonn is right. Just the fan switch. Don't confuse it with the temperature gauge sswitch which is thinner and further back and I thing just has one wire instead of two.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey delper :waving:Welcome to the forum all the way from Minnesota USA. :clapper: These two guys Eamonn1200 and BRowan are correct in what they say, :action: what puzzles me is why these two guys are not "Gurus" on this forum. :stumped: They provide great help to other members as well. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Redwing, Eamonn1200 and BRowan for making me feel so welcome here and for the information.

Cheers !
Delper

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Welcome delper, if it's not the switch it could be that there is a melted wire somewhere in the harness or someone has hooked it up direct.

I totally agree with you Redwing.Eamonn1200and BRowan
have posted some really great answers to questions about Gold Wings. They would certainly have my vote for Guru status if it was up to me.

Vic

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

I have an 87 aspencade. On mine its 2 wires to the switch located behind the radiator. the switch is normally open/ closing at temp. If you simply pull the wires of the switch it should kill the fan. However it is a pig to get the wires back on the switch properly without removing the radiator.

I have thought about (but not yet done) putting a manual switch in parrallel to the fan switch to allow manual turning on of the switch.

Andrew

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Welcome delper. As Vic mentioned you may want to check the wire harness for the fan switch. The switch works on the ground side of the fan so if at any point the switch return from the switch comes into contact with a metal part of the bike it would cause the fans to stay on all the time. The fan switch is the one with two wires, but if you have to change it you will need to drain the cooling system to do it. So it may be worth checking theharness first.You can see it if you remove the rightfairing lower and look behind the rad,at the thermostat housing, the switch has a rubber boot on it with two wires coming out. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

My fan stays on only after riding in warmer weather, not necessarily in colder weather. Dealer says its probably the ' sending unit '. Is that the switch you are talking about. ?

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

About the only time my fans come on is in stop and go traffic in hot weather. As for a switch you should be able to parallel the thermostatic switch, if you forget to turn it on it will still turn on the fan if your manual fan switch is off. If you forget to turn off your manual switch the fans will just keep running.

Personally I don't like adding switches and wiring, the thermostatic switch works just fine and if not replace it. No one wants the old manual spark advance back like the old bikes. Why have a manual fan switch? The automatic operation is more accurate.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

John, the sending unit as I understand is the sensor that the temp gage uses to read the temp of the coolant. It is just behind the fan thermal switch it has only one wire on it. It sounds to me that your fan thermal switch is sticking once it come on. That's the one I was talking about, it has two wires on it. So if your temp gage seems to be working OK, I would start looking at the fan thermal switch. This is all assuming you are talking about the 1200 version of the wing of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.