Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So this one is puzzling me for a while on my 1984 1200 aspencade. Fan is not working so I check the fuse under the seat all good. I put a working thermostat and thermostat sensor and still nothing, so I disconnected the sensor and bridge the plug with a piece of wire and the fan works. But the thermostat and the sensor works on another bike! (My head is exploding ) I run the engine all the way to almost 5 bars and nothing. What am I missing?
Thank you kindly as always!

Premium Member
Been there and done that but you might not want to hear my answer. The capsule on the switch has to be submerged in liquid. Blistering how air will not trip the switch. My guess is the capsule is not submerged in liquid, The most common reason is blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head. That is of course assuming the engine is full of coolant and the engine id hot enough to turn the fan on. Is 5 bars a lot? If you spit on it does your spit boil? 馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been there and done that but you might not want to hear my answer. The capsule on the switch has to be submerged in liquid. Blistering how air will not trip the switch. My guess is the capsule is not submerged in liquid, The most common reason is blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head. That is of course assuming the engine is full of coolant and the engine id hot enough to turn the fan on. Is 5 bars a lot? If you spit on it does your spit boil? 馃槑
Wow Mike, thank you for your experienced advice. (Sighs) ok I鈥檒l start looking for blown head gasket symptoms.

Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Don't know how many bars are on the Aspy gauge, but with OEM parts, the fan won't normally kick on until the bike is very hot. If you use aftermarket stuff designed for other vehicles, it may never kick on.

Also the fan switch can get coated with gunk and change its temperature range.

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Hey guys,
So this one is puzzling me for a while on my 1984 1200 aspencade. Fan is not working so I check the fuse under the seat all good. I put a working thermostat and thermostat sensor and still nothing, so I disconnected the sensor and bridge the plug with a piece of wire and the fan works. But the thermostat and the sensor works on another bike! (My head is exploding ) I run the engine all the way to almost 5 bars and nothing. What am I missing?
Thank you kindly as always!
I am curious here, do you own two different gl1200 bikes??

You originally mentioned working on an '86 and now you say an '84 ??

Premium Member
Wow Mike, thank you for your experienced advice. (Sighs) ok I鈥檒l start looking for blown head gasket symptoms.
Yes, as Dennis said be sure the bike is getting hot enough to kick the fan on. It has to get pretty hot.

That is why I say spray some water on the heads to be sure it is hot enough. Maybe the gauge is off????

If you feel the fins on the radiator are they hot?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings again!
Ok the good is that the fan is working! I ran the motor to almost last bar, while I was trying to spit in the heads to see if they were really hot but apparently spitting Accuracy is not a quality I possess. Luckily while I was rehearsing my spitting the engine got to the temperature that was needed. Now the bad seems that there鈥檚 a leak on the base of the radiator initially I thought I was burning coolant that I spilled but appears that is a leak. Here are some pics of the spark plugs that are new with maybe just two hours on the bike.
Many thanks as usual Fellow riders! 馃檹馃徏

Premium Member
Can't tell a lot from those pictures but the left side looks to cold of a heat range. The threads should be discolored 2 or so threads up.

Registered
At least the 1200 is a brass and copper rad that can be fixed at a rad shop

Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
The leak may not be from the radiator itself. Far better chance it's from the upper radiator hose or the cap.

Cleaning the fan switch may help it come on a little sooner. What are you using for coolant? IT MUST BE THE CORRECT FORMULA or you could lose the pump.

Registered
I think Honda say high quality Glycol antifreeze mixed 50/50 with Distilled water

It aint rocket science
With only two hours run time the plugs should still look like they came out of the box. The right front is the only one that appears to be firing correctly. Left side plugs are wet looking, likely with gas from a too rich condition or improper spark. Same goes for the right rear plug to a degree. A normal looking plug with 20k miles on it.
DSC_6217.jpg

Reactions: BadMonk's1200
1 - 15 of 15 Posts