Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I did the not so common thing and found the answer to my problem by using the "search" feature:shock:

Which leads me to another question.... I plan on wiring a toggle switch up for my fan since I do alot of city driving and the fan don't seam to want to come on all the time.... My question, is the fans on these GW the same basic thing as an electric fan on a car? I have had to hard wire a few elec fans on cars and that was pretty simple....

Thanx in advance for the help folks:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I think if you find the temp sensor and wire a switch across it, you will get the result you want.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

make sure that the sensor is working properly. The fan will work automatically when it whouls during city driving. there really is no reason to operate it manually unless the sensor is not working. If that is the case, replace the sensor.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'll second rcmatt's opinion, I can't see any reason to add a manual switch on the cooling fan(s). If the sensor is working properly the fans will come on when needed and off when not needed. This helps the bike keep the battery charged up, in stop and go when the fan does come on it draws more power than the idling bike generates. With a manual switch you're going to run the fans more than absolutely necessary and possibly draw down the battery. I've never had to add a manual switch on a car, seems better to me just to get it to work as designed. Johnmac is right you can parallel a switch across the sensor, located on the underside of the radiator, depending on the model of your bike. In parallel you can switch the fan on manually, if the sensor is still working the fan will stay on even if you turn it off as a safety feature. If you don't want that to happen you can simply pull the wire off the sensor and wire your switch in.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanx for the input:waving: I will try to find and test the sensor this weekend since its going to rain all weekend:?

The car I had to hard wire the fan was on an 82 citation...Not worth spending the $60. to replace the sensor, plus it wasnt my car:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the sensor is on the front right side of the engine... as usual, if you have to replace it, count on spending lots of hondadollars for it, when I replaced one about 15 years ago it was about $35. you will know if it works or not simply by the fact that when it fails it does NOT work. you can hot wire the two wires and the fan will turn on to rule out the fan not working

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Great thanx for the info rcmatt007:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

For the last two summers , my 1200 has run about 2 bars hotter ... (What is a digital 1200 bar .. about 5 degrees ??).. and I thought about  adding the fan switch a lot, especially when climbing thru the mountains,on a hot  day...watching the temp go to 6 bars,then 7 before the fan kicked in.. /forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif                                                                   But I agree with Exavid's idea... there should be no real need for a switch,if its working properly, and  the fan drops  the charging voltage a lot, when its on.....  But last week... thru my own stupidity... I tightened the  Markland Chrome rad trim cover a little too agressively..  .. a nice , very neat 2 mm hole in the top left rod on the rad... agh ... Double agh !!!!./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/gunhead.gif                                                                                                         ................so after two days , hoping it would go away ... (it did not/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif) ... I removed the rad... and took it to a Motorcycle rad  expert.. He soldered  the nice neat hole.. made a comment about how neat the hole was./forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif..,.and cleaned it, and rodded it , and  pressure tested it  for 24 hours....   the point of the story ??????? since re-installing it.. the motor is running 2 to 3 bars cooler.. even on these hot days./forums/images/emoticons/wink.gif.. So before installing a switch... Your antifreeze probably needs changing anyway... try getting your rad rodded, and cleaned.. you may not need the switch after all.. SilverDave 

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanx for the idea Dave:waving: The radiator was flushed summer before last, and when I am crusin the temp stays right down where it should be.. Its only in city driving do I notice the temp start to rise... I don't do much city driving, I only live about 2 miles from work so it really isn't that big of a deal... Just a rainy weekend project I was planning

Thanx again for all the help folks:waving:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
Well I did the not so common thing and found the answer to my problem by using the "search" feature:shock:

Which leads me to another question.... I plan on wiring a toggle switch up for my fan since I do alot of city driving and the fan don't seam to want to come on all the time.... My question, is the fans on these GW the same basic thing as an electric fan on a car? I have had to hard wire a few elec fans on cars and that was pretty simple....

Thanx in advance for the help folks:waving:
I've added the fan bypass switch on mine. I've got alot of areas that are dirt roads and slow riding (speed limit 25 or less). I turn on the fan as soon as I start to slow down for these areas. It keeps my temp really low (on the normal bar). It's wired across the fan temp switch. So in the configuration there is no way of shutting down the fan by accident and over heating.

This is listed in my BOMB list... (Better Of Modified Baby!) :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I second Rodger and Paul, replace the fan switch and let the machine do what it was designed to do. While our stators hold up fairly well, they do not put out enough power below 2500 RPMto run the cooling fan unnecessarily. Very nice pix. If Honda had made the Aspencade in that color in '82 I would have bought one.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
I second Rodger and Paul, replace the fan switch and let the machine do what it was designed to do. While our stators hold up fairly well, they do not put out enough power below 2500 RPMto run the cooling fan unnecessarily. Very nice pix. If Honda had made the Aspencade in that color in '82 I would have bought one.
I'll third that. The fan swithes last for many years, just fit a new one and let it work normally. :waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.