Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is a fantastic forum site. I quit the GWRRA and can no longer post there. Great job, Steve. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Glad you found us, hard to believe so many folks from all over the world can get along just by talking about a GOLDWING...... :clapper: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Hmm. I also quit the GWRRA last night and I have no regrets. After riding my old Wing(83I) around my town and seeing new 1800 Wing owners, waving to them, and have every single one of them look at me with barely a nod, I think I belong to a different group of folks. I like to ride, damn glad that I got my bike last year, have spent lot's of time bringing the ol' girl up to a good of a mechanical condition as she can be, and did I mention I love to ride, two wheels and a good atitude is all I need.

I have a really good group of Harley owners that I get together withand go on "fun" runs. These are typically 100-130 mile runs that take all afternoon. We might have a beer(gasp) every 45 minutes or so. We're not out running fast, and we take care of our own. I've yet to see anybody get stupid.

Maybe this goes against the grain of common consensus. However, the track record of these runs is perfect. No wrecks, tickets, no scares.

All this being said, I love my Goldwing. I really like the people on Mr. Saunders BBS. Let's have fun and help each other when ever we can.

Peace.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Welcome to best site on the net. I spent several hard months putting my wing back together and listened to a lot of complaining from the wife. Butthe wing isnow up and running with everything installed. Thanks in large part to the fine folks of this forum.

Billy

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I know the feeling Hobie1, And I thought it was just England that had snotty bikers. I was getting to the point where figured I might stop acknowledging other bikers but old habits die hard. I now look at it this way...their riding skills are so p**s poor they are scared to raise a hand or take their eyes off the road for fear of ending up hugging a tree.

That still doesnt stop me muttering the odd curse when they ignore me....then I get slap on the shoulder from the wife because I forgot the intercom was switched on.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

The salute bikers pass is one thing La Reina del todo mundo loved when she first went riding. I wonder, as bikes become more and more common, if we will someday lose it?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

You are probably right about poor riding abilities. I found it amusing at first when I would read in the club's monthly about how to turn:shock:, how to stop:shock:and so on, then it wasn't so funny after all.

One thing bothers me: I find it very troublesome that anyone would get on such a big bike as a first ride. Even with my past experience from several years ago, it took me a little while to get comfortable with my 'wing. I wouldn't even take my wife, who loves to ride, with me. I think that there ought to be some mandantory education but I not sure how you would implement it.

Anyway, welcome to the best forum around.!!

BTW, moderators. I've said all I'm going to about the GWRRA. I promise.:D

Hobie

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Hmm. I also quit the GWRRA last night and I have no regrets. After riding my old Wing(83I) around my town and seeing new 1800 Wing owners, waving to them, and have every single one of them look at me with barely a nod, I think I belong to a different group of folks.

I really like the people on Mr. Saunders BBS.
Hey Hobie1 :waving: I wouldn't like to be riding my Honda 50 in your town. :crying:

I really belong to another group of people. :jumper:

:walker::18red::walker:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

BartRodgers wrote:
This is a fantastic forum site. I quit the GWRRA and can no longer post there.
Hey BartRodgers :waving: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

If I may offer my $.02

Yes, some of the are being snobish.:X

I also read recently that there is a LARGE number of middle aged men buying large road motorcycle. Primarily Harleys & Goldwings. This is their first motorcycle. It's not in their blood. It's their Mid-Life Crisis! They don't understand what the little things like greeting a fellow biker/enthusiast mean, or why we do it.

I think it's like the old saying: "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!" They don't understand. :baffled:

I'd rather think that, than they think they're better because of the bike they ride.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard, Great site, These guys rock,

And yes I can't belive people hop on a goldwing for there first bike, Hell my was a 75 yamaha rd125, I've worked my way up from there.

Welcome again, Lots of great info in this sight

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My first "bike" waslittle bitty Harley 50cc moped/bike that had the gear shift on the handle bar. You let out the clutch that was attached an Woo Hoo off you went. My dad had a little landing strip south of the house, and I went round and round until I actually wore a path into it.

Back in the early 50's, my dad had been a motorcycle cop in San Angelo Texas. He alsoenjoyed riding hair and hound races on his Triumph Tiger(I hope I'vegot my memories in order;))His work bike had staight pipes and a suicide clutch.:action:Mom told me she could hear dad working across town. We moved toIllinois, farm lifeis where I want to be. Anyway, Dad always made sure thatmy brothers and I had bikes as soon as we were able to ride. Dad taughtus a lot of good things that helps withsurvival on the road. I didn't do without a bike until about 20 years ago. That's a story that I won't .......snnnnnnnnnnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx oh, sorry, I put myself asleep. :cheeky1:

Sorry, I kind of went down memory road. I miss my dad.

Anyway, I'm hoping all of the mid-lifers that are trying to find their center survive the balancing act. I'm thinking that they can't possibly be taking their license exam on their bikes. How much does a fully loaded 1800 weigh? 8-900lbs? I know that my little 83 can get tippy at times but I haven't dropped it yet:action:.

What were we talking about?:goofygrin:

Life is good when we're cruising. I'll still wave and if the person doesn't acknowledge me, what the heck? We're still cruising.

Good night all. My child bride is beckoning. I shall acknowledge.:grinner:

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
imported post

I don't know if being 36 would count as a mid life crisis, but I bought a goldwing as my 1st bike almost 2 years ago. I wanted a big bike because I am a big guy, I also understood that it was a very large powerful machine and took my time learning to ride it, maybe I was just lucky I did not kill myself.

As far as the biker wave or "salute", I live in a town with aVERY large motorcycle population and most of the time I should just ride with one arm in the air, or maybe screw a manequin arm to the side of my bike.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:
Glad you found us, hard to believe so many folks from all over the world can get along just by talking about a GOLDWING...... :clapper: :gunhead:
It is funny you say that, I tell the guys at work the exact same thing. This site is great!

p.s I just saw you are in New Castle. That is not far from Gettysburg is it? My geography is lacking.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Bigeesteve wrote:

p.s I just saw you are in New Castle. That is not far from Gettysburg is it? My geography is lacking.

About 4-5 hours by wing on the super-slab...

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Bigeesteve wrote:
I don't know if being 36 would count as a mid life crisis, but I bought a goldwing as my 1st bike almost 2 years ago. I wanted a big bike because I am a big guy, I also understood that it was a very large powerful machine and took my time learning to ride it, maybe I was just lucky I did not kill myself.

As far as the biker wave or "salute", I live in a town with aVERY large motorcycle population and most of the time I should just ride with one arm in the air, or maybe screw a mannequin arm to the side of my bike.
Bigeesteve,

It sounds like you've done what so many haven't. You taken extra precaution with the bike, & took into consideration your size & the bikes size. Mine is the old "learn how to walk before you learn how to run" philosophy. You may want to consider a safety coarse, if you haven't already had one.

The salute: Sometimes it's no more than a nod, or a lifted finger. Although I like the arm from a mannequin idea!:goofygrin: It's kind of like that secret hand shake from a secret club that makes everyone wonder exactly what you're up to.:jumper:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

screw a manequin arm to the side of my bike
LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!! I just fell off my chair laughing and La Reina Del Todod Mundo came in to check on me!!!

Has anyone ever noticed when you are riding alone there are always a million bikes going the OTHER WAY!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

I am not sure how I even found you all and it was not that long ago. I too used to belong to the gwrra a few years ago and it was intermittent at best. Since I became a stay at home pops I still manage to get insurance and do maintenance ect. As far as advice I was all on my own.You see I am allergicto garages. It was a happy day when I stumbled across you all and SSGF.com and here I can post anot so bright questionand not get racked over the coals, and let me warn you all right now,I will be testing you alland to continue to occassionally printsomething less than einsteinish. Canoehead

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.