Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Once you start a mod like this you don't really ever finish. I am waiting on a radio but everything else is complete and functional.

I used a clock and thermometer from clocks4bikes and they matched my guages perfectly. This is the second time I have used their products and they function and look great and the owners are simply wonderful to talk to.

I think the front looks great now with the addition of the Harley light bar. I wired the switch for the light bar with an in-line red light, both mounted on the dash, so I could easily tell if I had left the switch on. I left the lower running lights on the bike for now. I want to see how good the Harley running lights work at night first. Of course, I used relays.

Here is a profile shot of the bike. I will roll the Fat Lady out a little later today and enjoy the ride!

Dubs

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Looking great, Bernie. I like!

Nothing like modding a bike to suit your needs! :thumbsup:

I notice your aux driving lamps attached to your engine guard. How do you like those?

I have a pair almost identical to those and was/am thinking that when I find them in my storage room,of eitheradding them in the same spot, or below my other aux 55W ones.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the amount of light/pattern they throw off, mounted there.

Cheers, Ken

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Dusty, I really like the light those lights give off and the visibility they give at night. I have had several friends say that if they ride in front of me at night they don't even need their lights on. These lights are high intensity discharge and simply work better than any others I have had. One reason I left them on. I might install another switch and red monitor light for them and use them at night in lieu on the Harley ones. I also thinkhaving them installed on the engine guards make the bike more noticable because the are lower andspaced farther apart. I also think they illuminate the road better. Again, this is my personal observation. But I have had them mounted in different locations and this is where I think they perform thier best.

Dubs

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Thanks, Bernie!

The ones I have are 55W H3s and will decide later if I will wire them up to be totally independent of my other aux units, or to come on when I have the high beams on, so all 6 lights will be burning at the same time, or 4, or just the OEM Headlights. Versatility is the name of the game, for me. ;)

This would be the two mounting points, with them either being mounted to the underside of my lighting bar, (yellow circles)beneath the ones I have on already, or attached to the engine guard. (red)

Thanks again for your thoughts! :bow:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Dubs...

That is REALLY looking good! How much to do mine?

Those are the original gauges, right?

Seriously... what's the parts list look like on this little upgrade?

T

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

US385South, I bought the outer faring and the inner faring on ebaymotors.com for about $150.00 each plus shipping. The light bar on ebay was $158.00. The 4 plugs for the other Harley guage holes was a little over $10.00 at the Harley Dealer but I get a nice discount there so they will probably run about $17.00. I picked my items carefully on ebay and got what I considered were the best ones. The clock and temp.; guages from clocks4bikes.com was $88.00 with free shipping and they attachede to the upper gauge plugs. I got the illuminated ones. A longer speedo cable is going to be approx. $77.00 which hasn't come in yet. I am getting it from F6 Things. I think ProMotion can supply them as well. Misc wiring, shrink wrap, relays, chrome bolts and washers for the brackets will run $40.00 and the fork clamps made by Memphis Shades and purchased thru G.P Cycles is $55.00. Not cheap but cheaper than going with new. Plus it is a lot of fun to do on cold rainy or snowy days! The stock speedo and tach fit the larger holes perfectly. I had to trim the plastic chrome covers on the top section so they would not hit the outer faring when installed. Let me know if you want the part number for the Memphis Shades fork clamps. It takes two sets.

Dusty, either place should work well. I wanted mine high enough so there would be no chance of dragging on harde turns.

Dubs

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
US385South,

(... and the the rabbit goes AROUND the tree and back down the hole! =-)

Dubs
Gee Dubs...

I was just drooling... er, I mean LOOKING at your pictures yet again and it seems that you have aftermarket risers. Are those an element in the fairing or would the OEMs work just as well?

You've got my think tank churning over here...

T

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The risers are independent of the fairing so they are not an issue. Either way is good! The part number for the Memphis Shades clamps is: MEM9954. The come two to a pack so you will need 2 packs. Good Luck!

Dubs

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Once you start a mod like this you don't really ever finish. I am waiting on a radio but everything else is complete and functional.

I used a clock and thermometer from clocks4bikes and they matched my guages perfectly. This is the second time I have used their products and they function and look great and the owners are simply wonderful to talk to.

I think the front looks great now with the addition of the Harley light bar. I wired the switch for the light bar with an in-line red light, both mounted on the dash, so I could easily tell if I had left the switch on. I left the lower running lights on the bike for now. I want to see how good the Harley running lights work at night first. Of course, I used relays.

Here is a profile shot of the bike. I will roll the Fat Lady out a little later today and enjoy the ride!

Dubs
Dubs
Are those the stock gauges that come on the Vaulk?

Lookin good bro:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Stu,

Yes, the tach and speedo are stock guages. I just removed the plastic/chrome shields, slipped the guages in from the front of the inner fairnig, slid the chrome housings back on and screwed it to the back of the guages. I did have to trim the tops of the chrome shields off because they hit the outer fairing. I put duct tape over the holes just to be safe.

Dubs

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Someday, LORD willin, I might have a Vaulk too?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I would love to own a newer GL1800 one day, but if I have to own this Valkyrie until I can no longer ride, I will have no regrets. It is a wonderful bike that fits me and suits my needs perfectly.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

DUB, where did you get those lights on your engine guard?

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

93wing, They were on the bike when I bought it but were mounted on the sides of the windshield on each side of the headlight. They are H.I.D lights and I found them to provide more usable light where they are now. I do not know who the mfg. is. I will look at them and see if I can find an name on them.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
93wing, They were on the bike when I bought it but were mounted on the sides of the windshield on each side of the headlight. They are H.I.D lights and I found them to provide more usable light where they are now. I do not know who the mfg. is. I will look at them and see if I can find an name on them.

Dubs
Ok. They remind me of aircraft landing lights.... It would be nice to have them on my wing, I drive country roads every day and the extra lighting would be great.....

I'll have to do some searching myself.....

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I try not to ride at night, but when I do they really light up the road. I get high beamed a lot when I use them at night. They really get you noticed during the day as well.

Dubs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.