Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well-known and popular retired businessman, cycle rider, hit head on by a drunk driver . Cyclist died last night; not the first offense for drunk driver. How long will it be and what will it take for DUIs who are involved in a fatal accidents they have caused to get prison sentence commensurate with the crime they have committee? DUI driver also had no valid insurance.

Admittedly some cyclists ride in a manner which invites accidents and fatalities, usually get what they deserve. Cagers should get equal treament.

Polkwing

Salem, Ore

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

Here in Arizona, 3 strikes and you go to jail for a long long time.

Cause a fatality while DUI and you go straight to jail, no bail either.

Sort of personal experience with that statement. A service firm I have been working with had an office assistant whom I got to know. A young lady of 25 with 3 kids and divorced, supporting them on her own.

She did a DUI/fatality on I-17 in Phoenix 4 weeks ago, and went straight to jail for 25 years. Her kids? CPS is my guess.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

That sucks for both the cycle rider and the kids. +1 to Arizona.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Cyclists don't have much of a chance in an accident. Most times they are not wearing anything that would give any protection.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Cyclists don't have much of a chance in an accident. Most times they are not wearing anything that would give any protection.
What could they possibly wear to save them from a head-on?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Here in Arizona, 3 strikes and you go to jail for a long long time.

Cause a fatality while DUI and you go straight to jail, no bail either.

Sort of personal experience with that statement. A service firm I have been working with had an office assistant whom I got to know. A young lady of 25 with 3 kids and divorced, supporting them on her own.

She did a DUI/fatality on I-17 in Phoenix 4 weeks ago, and went straight to jail for 25 years. Her kids? CPS is my guess.
Arizona has one MAJOR problem about the 3 strikes, you're out. You have a golden opportunity to put someone away for a long time on their first offense, but instead you let them go and do it again for the second and third time. What if they kill someone on the second or third one? Hmmm? Another needless death that could have been prevented IF they put away the drunken driver away the first time.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

IMHO drunk drivers should be jailed even if it is their first offence. Even if it is only for a few months, it will get the message across that drunk driving means jail time.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

IMHO Zeke66 is right!!! I lost a wife and twin month old boys to a drunk driver with 13 DUI's This was back in 1973 in FLA. So I have a reason to Say IT SHOULD BE PRISON THE FIRST TIME EVERY TIME.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Zeke66 wrote:
IMHO drunk drivers should be jailed even if it is their first offence. Even if it is only for a few months, it will get the message across that drunk driving means jail time.
You are 100% correct Zeke, make them understand right at the start that it will not be tolerated. 3 months for the first offence, 2 years for the second and 5 years for the third and never get another license in any state.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Marcus Bacon wrote:
IMHO Zeke66 is right!!! I lost a wife and twin month old boys to a drunk driver with 13 DUI's This was back in 1973 in FLA. So I have a reason to Say IT SHOULD BE PRISON THE FIRST TIME EVERY TIME.
That's a terrible loss Marcus. While I don't want to pry too much or open old wounds, I would like to know if the drunk driver was locked up for his crime.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Yep, I know a few people that have 10 DUI's and have only served 2-3 weeks in jail. One would think that at least after the second time, the courts would get the idea that they should serve a good bit of time in jail. I would say 30-60 days in jail minimum for first offense and a lot more for second, third, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
GWNorman wrote:
What could they possibly wear to save them from a head-on?
An Ejection Seat??? That's about all that comes to mind......

Special place in Hell reserved for Drunk Drivers that cause injuries and fatalities, I hope.
:lash:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

You can never make the penalty fit the crime.
When I was a kid, the week Kennedy was killed, my next door neighbor and best friend, while riding his Honda 55, was killed by a drunk driver.
Same week I piled up the Honda 90. Bad week for a lot of folks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.