Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey there. I am in the middle of "replacing my flashing unit" and have about half the bike disassembled. I have gotten all the way down to the carbs but I still need to pull the faux tank. Any ideas on how to get it off easy without dropping the fairing and half the steel off this 82 GL1100 Aspencade. Kinda funny really. It is so easy to say, "yeah replace the flashing unit". When you get right down to it, I got about 8 hours, 3 skinned knuckles, 2 sets of tools and a destroyed air filter intaketo fix into it already and I don't even feel like I have hit a sweet spot yet!

Thanks for any ideas. I searched all over and didn't find anything to helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

man i wish i could help you but have never messed with that bike. try pm to silicon sam good luck and i'm sure someone will come along. :action::waving: oh yeah beer and relax when frustration gets high

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

Welcome to The Forum, Scott !!!

Remove the seat, 2 bolts side by side in front of seat...10 mm

No need to remove fairing, you need a 1/4 ratchet & extension with a swivel knuckle

to reach the 2 up front of the false tank... sneak up in between fairing & tank with

10mm socket & swivel... 1 bolt on either side of tank...

You may be able to loosen the two up front enough to lift tank for access to flasher

Good Luck... :action:

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

iamscott
You need to remove the seat and there are two 10mm bolts on the rear of the tank and there are two more bolts on the side of the tank toward the front on the bottom you should remove the lower fairing covers or can remove them with a 10mm socket with an extension through the front vent on the lower fairing. then slowly lift moving it back and forth clearing the coolant tank and some of the electrics.
It's easy once you've done it once.:action:

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
imported post

Just in case you havent got the seat off yet , remove the saddle bag lids - about midways front to back there is a notch in the bag body to slip an allen wrench into the rear seat bolt . You will have to lift the rubber seal to find this notch . Hopefully this has been done before and it wasnt glued back down in this spot . Once the rear seat bolt is removed from each side , slide the seat backwards to disengage it at the front , then lift out of the way .

Now you can follow the directions in the previous post .

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thank you all for your advice. Looks like I am going to be wrenching somemore tomorrow. Also, thanks for the offers for the hard manuals....I went for the freebies on line! Those are special!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

My '82 Aspencade has the suspension air pump controls in the faux tank. It was a real pain in the neck to get it off. Had to undo all manner of air hose connections & wiring for the pump & pressure guage.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I was able to replace my flasher unit with an electronic one without removing the false tank on my 82 Interstate by removing the tool tray. The flasher unit sits close enough and high enough on the left side to get to it. It's a tight fit but do-able on the Interstate, don't know about the Aspy's due to the compressor controls.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Woodbutcher....this was the PERFECT answer. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

First I have to apologize. Everyone gave me a lot of great help here and I can not begin to say thank you all enough. I am ashamed I took so long to reply and let everyone know what happened to this silly repair. I got down to doing all the stuff here that everyone said and came to no conclusions. I did get frustrated and went for the beer as was suggested. ;) That didn't help too much :NO::NO: because after the first were three more and then I could barely walk let alone wrench. :thumbsdown: I gave up after 2 or 3 hours. Next day I sobered up and decided to put it all together. Didn't take as long going the opposite direction. I learned something there at least :thumbsup:. So anyway to make this long story short, After I got it all together I decided to do this methodically. I started at the left shark shroud (not sure if that is what it is called) and guess what I found there? Yup! 4 bucks and ten minutes later I replaced the unit and was back on the road and been riding ever since. You folks are great. The biggest thing (if anyone ever asks me) I learned was to keep it simple. Weeks of my life could have been recovered if I went at it the easy way. Anyway, to all who had ideas, and shared - :bowing:. I feel bad that it took so long to reply but I was too busy riding. Of course that is why my bike is filthy....who wants to clean when you could be riding!

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Only just caught your post.
I have to lift mine regularly to fill coolant and I never bother with the front bolts I just use the 2 under the front of the seat, never had a problem with rattles just saves a bit of time
Bo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.