Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Okay I admit it. I've never changed my antifreeze. The level has been stable for 8 years and its never even gotten warm, let alone hot or overheated. Its been completely maintenance free. The great reliability I've come to expect out of it.

So now I'm going to have to pull the engine and I was wondering what kind of antifreeze I should put back in it.

The manual says antifreeze "without silicates". Of course the book was written years ago when there were few aluminum engines. So now its almost 30 years later.

What brand of antifreeze does everyone use or recommend?
What brands do I stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

grayglennsr wrote:
Okay I admit it. I've never changed my antifreeze.
Why start spoiling the bike now?

I got my last batch from the Honda car dealership. Same as you get from the M/C dealer, just cheaper.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

I could'nt find any that specified silicate free, so got some from dealer , not too bad cost wise for as little that you need :)

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

I've used the Prestone Extended life "compatible with all metals and all antifreeze blends" for about 15 years on all my aluminum engined bikes. The only exception is certain desert races I've run Engine Ice.........which is probably the single best coolant you can buy.......but it's very pricey.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Bish wrote:
I've used the Prestone Extended life "compatible with all metals and all antifreeze blends" for about 15 years on all my aluminum engined bikes.  The only exception is certain desert races I've run Engine Ice.........which is probably the single best coolant you can buy.......but it's very pricey.
Ditto, I get the 50/50 blend.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Somebody tell me more about "Engine Ice".
High performance coolant. Also track approved (most antifreezes aren't, you have to run water).

The guy who owns it is a big supporter of pro am offroad sports as well, why I started using it, but the stuff works unbelievably well. The only better cooling I've gotten is with straight water and water wetter.....but you don't have the anti-freeze capability or the necessary lubricants for the water pump with straight water and water wetter.

Engine Ice completely cured the cooling problems with my daughter's CR125. the bike has a big bore kit on it, plus rad guards (and all the associated armor you run on a desert bike). In slow technical stuff, and nasty hills.......we could not keep that bike from boiling over. Until I started running engine ice in it.

Anyway, over kill for a Wing I think, especially as expensive as it is. Unless you do a lot of city driving in Phoenix in June;-) For the most part, the cooling system on the Wing looks like it ought to handle desert conditions just fine, especially with that big aux fan. I've had no over heating problems anyway running regular prestone. You should be able to buy it at most bike shops in the states. I know he has some distributors in Europe, but not sure how many or where.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Just got some antifreeze for my 77 gl1000 from our local Honda shop, goes by the name of HP coolant and is specifically for older Hondas and does not contain silicates. It is a 50/50 mix of anti freeze and deionised water, ready to tip into your radiator. It sells for $14 a quart here in New Zealand which converts to about $9 in greenbacks.

Cheers Tunnow

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
imported post

Bish wrote:
I've used the Prestone Extended life "compatible with all metals and all antifreeze blends" for about 15 years on all my aluminum engined bikes.
I use the same but I buy a gallon of it mix it and then have two gallons for mu car and bike. I live where it gets 104 in the summer and never have I had over heating happen on my wing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.