Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read alot about blow outs at highway speeds, having been down twice(not because of a flat) it has become my new fear. i understand there are some rideflats made for police but do not recommend a passenger and dont last long. since i do carry a passenger and pull a trailer i am looking for solutions of tires with thicker side walls or any thing else.

has any one had experience with ride on? http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Well, I won't say that a blow-out isn't a concern, but I've been riding a long time and have been fortunate not to have one or even a flat yet (watch, I'll get one now!!) but I wonder if your concern isn't a bit of paranoia...

Careful tire inspection before you ride and replacing tires a bit before you should has always been my mantra... This is the way I look it at - the only thing between me and eternity is two contact patches equal roughly to a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper - I take very good care of my tires - inspect them regularly and replace them a bit sooner than most others would - that has worked for me in 45+ years of riding...

Can a blow out happen??? Sure - and a texting cager can take you out in a heartbeat too - my advice is don't over worry the blow out aspect of the tires...

Les

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
None of the tire sealant stuff will prevent a blowout.
They may stop a leak or prevent a flat maybe if you run over a nail or such which is just a slow leak.
A blowout is a tire exploding basically and nothing will help with that!

If you do get a nail and the tire starts to go flat it's normally a slow leak and you should feel the difference in the way the bike is riding as the tire goes low on air and be able to safely stop.

Anything big enough to cause a sudden loss of tire pressure all at once a sealant won't help either.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I never heard of a motorcycle tire blowout, especially a goldwing, most all touring bike tires are reinforced 6ply thats a very stiff sidewall u might puncture it and lose air but it wont blow out and go flat to the rim or come off the rim like a typical car tire, u can let the air out of an EliteIII and it will still hold the bike up and keep the rim off the pavement then your gonna feel the rearend get loose especially in the curves telling u theirs a low tire problem.

·
Administrator
27,900 Posts
Blowouts are usually the result of under inflation or overloading or old tires. Watch those 3 things and the tread wear and it is unlikely to happen.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
An Irish Goldwinger was killed by a blowout in France some years ago. I'm hazy on details because I didn't know the man and just read the brief accident report that the machine in work spat out with its daily incidents. Wexy or wingnut should know more about it.
As far as I remember, the man and his wife were on a GL1200 when the blowout happened. The Wing hit the motorway guard rail and the man sustained serious leg injuries. He lost lot of blood and passed away in spite of paramedics efforts to save him.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Check your tires before you ride and you'll be okay. Watch out for "dry rot" even on new tires because they may be "old" when you buy them.

I had a blowout about thirty years ago. No big deal. The bike still handled well. It was the back tire so the rear end just felt real mushy. I was on the highway and simply pulled over onto the side of the road. There was a lot of damage to the tire but the bike stopped okay.

Don't let thoughts of "Doom & Gloom" suck the enjoyment out of your life. I would recommend a quick look at your tires & a quick prayer & you're good to go. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I have read of blowouts, I have never experienced one though, go to youtube and search for motorcycle tire reinforcments, there's a guy that designed some bags of a sort that you can place inside the tire itself custom made so when his son is racing [moto] and has a flat these bags take care of it so he can continue with his race...I saw it once but I have no idea if it applies to a larger bike or if it's been tested on one ect... Maybe somebody else has seen this product..don't really know if I would use it...

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Stuff happens. Run reasonably aged tires, run 'em inflated properly and with decent tread depth...that's ALL you can do. Like Bradbury said, don't let thoughts of "Doom and Gloom" suck the joy out of life (in this case riding). If you're riding scared, you won't enjoy it and you'll likely leave the bike parked...eventually selling it, leaving your riding ambitions largely unfulfilled. Just ride smart and enjoy the experience for all it has to offer.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I could not find that silly youtube ad for the life of me man...Don't know where in the World it went to...

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I had a "sudden deflation" of my front tire at about eighty miles an hour on grooved pavement in a construction zone with no shoulders during the fastest rush hour I have ever experienced, in Provo, (outside Salt Lake City) Utah two years ago.

Was very pleasantly surprised at how controllable my 1500 was and managed to pull into a tiny spot on the side of the road - despite the "no mercy" rush hour rules! The only time I actually felt at serious risk was when an inattentive driver nearly sideswiped me while I was getting off the bike!

This has removed much of my apprehension for future blowouts and I hope may ease yours a little too!

Those making the case that frequent checks of tire pressure, etc., are key are certainly correct and one cannot be too vigilant in this regard. This is where I think I may have failed to pay enough attention!

Cheers!

T.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
As others have said

Also make sure you have good valve stems as if one of those break it could cause fast loss of air, again something a sealant would not help.

Good tires, good valve stems, proper inflation, not much more to do but check tires often for any defects like cracks lumps or bumps.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
There have been postings and photos of motorcycle tire delaminations, bubbles in the tread and sidewalls and tire failures... posted on the other Goldwing site. At least some were from poor tire maintenance, but there have been quite a few that resulted defective tires. This is quite a long conversation on the matter. The best protectiion is good tire maintenance, keeping track of tire pressure and for some of us.... going to the Dark Side!

Corventure Dave

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have never had a "blowout" or sudden deflation with tubeless tires. It is very common on tube type tires, when that thin tube is punctured, it tends to pop like a balloon, and since there is no bead seal, you have an instant flat. While anything is possible, I never did worry to much about tubeless tires. Just inspect them often for any signs of damage.

I would not want to have a flat on the front on a Goldwing, at least not a 1200. While doing some test riding in my neighborhood (25 mph) my bike developed a violent shake. It was so bad I almost crashed, and at only 25 mph. I eased it back at about 5 mph, wobbling badly, and found the front tire had about 10 psi in it. I inflated it to the proper pressure, and took it back out, it rode fine. Even took it out on a main road and got it up to 55 mph, still fine. It absolutely does not like low pressure in the front tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.