Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm getting out fairly regularly on my workhorse KLR now. I have to pick my roads carefully; steer away from the hard ice.... frost seems okay, manageable, and it's only in the corners shaded by the high, snow-dusted hills. But the days are getting longer, the sun comes out more often... and the long winter shows signs of surrender.Maybe about time to wake the ST1300.... hook it up! Only one other rider in my small town is out now, and I see him often... a Harley guy, believe it or not!

And I feel mycurrent despondency seeping away from my soul like fog beaten by the sun.... slowly, but inexorably, the old familiar joy comesflooding back, and my excitement grows.... mountains await, seashores, the great, greening plains...... just awhile now, just awhile......

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Amen!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Thanks CJ,

Your words captured what many of us awaiting spring are feeling. Although I've found enough good weather to ride every other week or so, my old girl is chomping at the bit to ride.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

+1 on the amen.

If only they weren't forecasting the possibility of snow here on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I rode to work a couple of days ago, and the Harley guys at work thought I was crazy!! It sure is nice to have a big fairing in front of me to keep most of the wind off...and cruise...and radio...and heated grips...and I can hear myself think. Love my Wing!!!!

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

It's snowing here right now,,,,,,,,,, and I'm waiting for the boss to call so I can go plow and salt the stuff.

Spring is getting closer,,,,,,,, guess I should think about doing maintence on the,,,,,,,,,

LAWN MOWER:D

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

"And I feel mycurrent despondency seeping away from my soul like fog beaten by the sun.... slowly, but inexorably, the old familiar joy comesflooding back, and my excitement grows.... mountains await, seashores, the great, greening plains...... just awhile now, just awhile." Ah, the beauty of language...thanks.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

You're on the wrong side of the mountains CJ. I've been riding all Winter. :D The longest myWing was in the garage without a ride was about 2 weeks. ;)

Glad you're getting some riding in anyway. :)

John

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

Hey CJ, you got a great bike in the KLR. I was thinking of picking up one last year. But I came across my little XR200R as my latest purchase. They don't even have batteries to maintain and I could ride it probably 9 months or so of the year. We still have lots of ice on our residential roads, but the highways are clear as a bell. I miss riding my GL baby and my Shadow....:( I plan on registering my XR as a dual sport and I can do it legally since the bill of sale says so, and then I can do the same stuff as a KLR. I can't wait to get out on my XR for the first time. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
imported post

Got out for a 60 mile ride on Tuesday. You all know what it is like to be off your machine for weeks on end and then finally get conditions that let you ride.

I called my local dealer and asked if he could get me in for my state inspection sticker. Sure he replied. Bring in on in. That was a great reason to ride. (do not really need one)

In Massachusetts we need to get our stickers by the end of May. So I got to ride, got my sticker. Life is good.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I rode Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Practiced figure 8's in a parking lot and realized how totally blessed I am. I have my health, good roads to ride, a good woman, and Jesus Christ as my Savior. I can want for more but I realize I have it all now.

Ride Mel, ride your heart out!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
I rode Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Practiced figure 8's in a parking lot and realized how totally blessed I am. I have my health, good roads to ride, a good woman, and Jesus Christ as my Savior. I can want for more but I realize I have it all now.

Ride Mel, ride your heart out!

Bernie
As a brother inChrist, I say AMEN to that Dubs!

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I feel for you brothers and sisters. I ride 80 miles round trip everyday to go to work and back, and I am enjoying it. It was 75 degrees on the way home yesterday and 37 degrees on the way to work this morning. :action:

I am surprised that so many of you put your bikes to sleep for the winter, especially in the lower 48. Even when I lived in Germany, I never "winterized" my bike. There is always days that the weather breaks and you can get out. Then again, I guess there are a fair amount of fair weather riders out there.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Big Kahuna wrote:
I feel for you brothers and sisters. I ride 80 miles round trip everyday to go to work and back, and I am enjoying it. It was 75 degrees on the way home yesterday and 37 degrees on the way to work this morning. :action:

I am surprised that so many of you put your bikes to sleep for the winter, especially in the lower 48. Even when I lived in Germany, I never "winterized" my bike. There is always days that the weather breaks and you can get out. Then again, I guess there are a fair amount of fair weather riders out there.
I am no "fair weather rider," friend, but compact snow and ice makes riding a bit foolhardy..... if I lived in Texas, I'd probably ride full time, too......and sometimes I wish I did!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Jennifer wrote:
Hey CJ, you got a great bike in the KLR. I was thinking of picking up one last year. But I came across my little XR200R as my latest purchase. They don't even have batteries to maintain and I could ride it probably 9 months or so of the year. We still have lots of ice on our residential roads, but the highways are clear as a bell. I miss riding my GL baby and my Shadow....:( I plan on registering my XR as a dual sport and I can do it legally since the bill of sale says so, and then I can do the same stuff as a KLR. I can't wait to get out on my XR for the first time. :clapper:
Hi, Jennifer! I know the feeling of "can't wait to get out!" You're gonna love your XR..... I love my ST 1300, and I once loved my GL1100, and I once loved my 1500 (little less, I think!), but there is something really satisfying about thumpers! Something essentially "motorcycle" about them! I like how they sound and feel.....! Accelerating a thumper might not be as smooth or as fast as a twin, inline four, or flat six, but, man, is it fun!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Hey CJ,

I wasn't referring to those of you that live new our Northern friends, but you have to admit that on our forums there are many in the midwest of the great homeland that put there summertime toys away early. To each their own anyway, I was really just poking at those who are in snow up to the backsides, while the rest of us get to ride. :(

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey CJ,

I wasn't referring to those of you that live new our Northern friends, but you have to admit that on our forums there are many in the midwest of the great homeland that put there summertime toys away early. To each their own anyway, I was really just poking at those who are in snow up to the backsides, while the rest of us get to ride. :(

No offense taken, BK, and none intended -- in the reply......

When Red's professional servitude ends, we may wander South..... again, I'm looking for the impossible: a place to both ski and ride my bike year round..... I have asked the impossible from the moment of my birth!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I always thought thatI would end up in Florida, but my path has taken me to Texas. Now with the kids moving here and grandchildren that have arrived (and those whose time is not here yet), I kind of feel trapped. Mrs Kahuna (Queen Debbie) is not going to move very far from those grandbabies. Which in turn means that if I want to move, I got to move the whole lot of them. :shock:

The best of all world's would be beach, mountians, skiing, and a lake to go boating would be nice!

I need a new job!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

We have ski slopes in Tenn, North Caroling, Va, and W.Va. All within easy reach. No state tax, no vehicle inspections, and the cost of living is very reasonable. And I ride year round!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I lived 13 years of my life in Clarksville while in Special Ops at Ft Campbell. I also spent a lot of time in the Knoxville area during flight qualications that I was leadind for a special terrain following radar system for helicopters. Beautiful area, always wanted to ride the Smokies, but in those times I was in between Wings and kind of busy!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.