Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GL 1500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put over 40.000 thousand miles on my 89 gl1500 in the past 2 years, and can't count the number of times I've been stuck at a turning lane red light. I've heard other riders with the same problem and am wondering why the light doesn't seem to notice motorcycles

·
Registered
247 Posts
Most lights use a magnetic sensor loop in the pavement where we would normally stop with a 4 wheel vehicle. Our bikes don't have enough steel in them to 'trip' the magnetic sensors. If you stop over one of the lines in the roadway, sometimes by hitting the starter button it will register us. They can be set very sensitive but then will be tripped by bicycles, anything else made with magnetic materials.

·
Registered
1989 GL 1500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've also heard that putting a magnetic bar on the undercarriage might work. What's your thoughts 🤔

·
Administrator
26,962 Posts
Some claim the magnets work, some claim they don't. I just try to avoid places that have traffic lights.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,758 Posts
In some states, a motorcycle is allowed to go if it is not detected on the first cycle.

In Oklahoma, that is true.

For me? IF, I can see where the loop wire is, I will stop over the wire itself....
that works usually, but not always.

·
Registered
1989 GL 1500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd have to check, but here in S. CA. I doubt that rule applies. I usually go on the second cycle. 🤪

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,758 Posts
I'd have to check, but here in S. CA. I doubt that rule applies. I usually go on the second cycle. 🤪

you and I said the same thing, I just worded it differently.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
38 Posts
In the past on a smaller bike I have used neodymium magnets. A few of the quarter size in a row next to each other on the frame as close to the road as you can get them. Also be sure to stop over the "loop" in the ground. Basically the light is typically tripped by breaking the magnetic field created by the wire loop.
There are some places however that still use an optic sensor up on the light pole and that may not read a bike.
Even with the red light pain in the rear..... being on the bike beats the car anyday :) Good luck.

·
Pwhoever
3,252 Posts
I've had some success by reaching left foot back and pushing center stand down where it touches the pavement. But many states have recognized the problem and after waiting for green turn arrow and not getting one, you are allowed to cautiously turn left on a red arrow. Just gotta be careful doing it.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
889 Posts
As stated above the grooves where the wire loops are can usually be seen in the pavement, I can get the sensors to work pretty reliably if I get both wheels stopped right on top of the sensor wire.

Colorado allows you to proceed with caution if you don't get a green on the second cycle of the signal. That can be 4 mins on a signal with a 2 minute cycle time.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
601 Posts
As stated above the grooves where the wire loops are can usually be seen in the pavement, I can get the sensors to work pretty reliably if I get both wheels stopped right on top of the sensor wire.

Colorado allows you to proceed with caution if you don't get a green on the second cycle of the signal. That can be 4 mins on a signal with a 2 minute cycle time.
You're solution works if you can see where the loops are. One problem is when the road is repaved, the loops get covered. That and the fact that no one ever re-calibrates the sensitivity for increased thckness of the asphalt.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,758 Posts

a lot of our lights take 5 minutes to cycle around..... that is why we get some many Red Light runners....
Several lights that work like that in Owasso...

·
1,753 Posts
a lot of our lights take 5 minutes to cycle around..... that is why we get some many Red Light runners....
Several lights that work like that in Owasso...
Aah, now I suddenly understand why you have 7 minutes more in a day than us! , -or is that not what is meant by 24/7?:unsure:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,758 Posts
Aah, now I suddenly understand why you have 7 minutes more in a day than us! , -or is that not what is meant by 24/7?:unsure:
24/7 means 24 hours, 7 days a week.

or as I usually do, I type 24/7/365 which is how long my Win7 desktop has been spinning since 2006.
so, 8,760 hours per year, times 15 years, is roughly 131,400 hours on that little platter inside the hard drive.

that desktop is never turned OFF, unless there is a special reason......
which occurred 2 weeks ago during the Ice Storms when we were experiencing power blackouts for one day.

I just shut it down..... as it has never been taken apart and had the dust bunnies blown out of it, and I figure that 5 years in the Arizona desert and 10 years here in the dusty plains of Oklahoma, has built up quite a sand hill inside that case.

I would like to replace the HDD with a SSD, that would make it immensely faster, as the HDD is very slow compared to what they make today. The platters is aslow spinner, and the data rate is slow also.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This was a question on the motorcycle driving test in Calif. Here you can go after 2 light cycles, just be cautious about on coming cars. If you get hit it's your fault you don't have the right of way.

·
Pwhoever
3,252 Posts

or as I usually do, I type 24/7/365 which is how long my Win7 desktop has been spinning since 2006.
so, 8,760 hours per year, times 15 years, is roughly 131,400 hours on that little platter inside the hard drive.

which occurred 2 weeks ago during the Ice Storms when we were experiencing power blackouts for one day.

I just shut it down..... as it has never been taken apart and had the dust bunnies blown out of it, and I figure that 5 years in the Arizona desert and 10 years here in the dusty plains of Oklahoma, has built up quite a sand hill inside that case.

I would like to replace the HDD with a SSD, that would make it immensely faster, as the HDD is very slow compared to what they make today. The platters is aslow spinner, and the data rate is slow also.

I know this is off topic but the SSD drives have really come down in price. I ended up with my Mom's Dell laptop after she passed away last year. No one else was interested. My regular laptop is about 20 years old but I got by with it. Anyway, hers had one of those 5400rpm hard drives and 4gb of memory. I put a new 8gb Samsung memory chip as well as picked up a Crucial brand SSD 500gb drive to swap out the 500gb old hard drive. I cloned the old hard drive, put in the SSD hard drive, did a complete restore and now the thing flies. It takes only about 10 seconds to fully boot up to the login screen. SSD drive set me back about $57, the 8gb RAM was about $46, and another $10 for an external 2.5" enclosure to do the cloning. Well worth it as it saved me a ton on buying a new laptop. I'm still clinging to Win10 though. Maybe Linux one day...

·
Registered
880 Posts
There is a device on ebay that I have seen for a few years. An electronic system that simulates a larger vehicle. It comes from Israel and there have been a few updated versions and the feedback is great. It requires you install a loop antenna on your bike. I have wanted to try this, but just haven't done it. I know where to stop for most of the lights near me, and try to avoid those that I know won't trip. But it would be nice to not have to do that. I have also had a few cars that for one reason or another didn't reliably trip traffic sensors (fiberglass, high clearance, etc.) so I am somewhat used to it. This is not to be confused with the illegal infrared strobes that trip the emergency vehicle sensors. I have tried magnets and other solutions in the past with poor results. It is on my list of projects for one of these days. Search "Green Light Trigger" to find it.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
38 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts

I turn mine off every night, let the memory get rid of any clutter and starts out fresh in the morning. If I let it run 24/7 it would be like running a 600 watt light 24/7 . It is a large desk top running four 24" monitors , five 2TB hard drives, surround sound system. and when I look at my chart from the power company, I can see the spike every morning when I turn it on. LOL It has a 1000 watt power supply in it. and 2 battery backups. I built it from scratch myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts