Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:? Have read an article about this subject,can any of you guys confirm please.
Fender extension on the airbag model. After my first proper ride-out sunday,wich was fantastic by the way,i did notice a lot of road crud-cow dung-and tiny stones had been thrown on to the lower part of the engine from the front tyre. Can a fender extender be fitted to the airbag model with out any problems.It looks very much like this is a must have part.:( Burkey.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I believe Kit Carson discovered that Honda recommend that a fender extender is not fitted to the airbag model, but at least one member has successfully fitted one. Some of the manufactureres apparently state "not for the airbag model" and some do not.

I have one fitted to my non airbag model and from my experience, I would recommend that if you are fitting one, buy one as long as possible, as my shortish one, does not keep all the crud from flying at the cowel. Unfortunately, mine was fitted by the previous owner and is unbadged so I am not sure what make it is.

Might be worth checking with your Honda dealer ( I seem to remember you purchaced from new the other day) to see what they have to say on the matter.

Of course, Honda do not recommend the fitting of a tow bar to Goldwings, but many if not most owners do so anyway, but it would be nice to have a definative answer as to whether the airbag's opperation may be compromised by a small fender extender?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I have a air bag model. I'm not sure that the fender extension hinders the operation of the air bag system, but I'm not taking any chances.

Be aware that many 1800 owners with long fender extension have experienced cracked front fenders. I don't think the short extensions do much good.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

Kit, a crash sensor is actually a pretty simple devise that takes X amount of deceleration force to cause the contacts to close, it cannot be reused after once activated. It has to be mounted exactly in the original position to work properly so anything that may affect it's position or the impact required to activate is taboo.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

One thing I did learn last Saturday, from a Honda trained mechanic,is that only Honda mechanics that have been trained specifically on the airbag model are allowed to work on them. This is becuase of the locationof the airbag and the fact that for instance the air filter is located below it and ifthe airbagwent off inadvertantly it could kill the mechanic.

So any airbag model owners, might want to leave it to the Honda trained mechanics to do an air filter change, or anything else around that area!!! :shock:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Hi David:

I also did some research and spent about an hour at the local Honda shop today. Pestering them.

So with your information and what I learned today, this issue is now getting put to sleep.

The installation of any accessory on the front forks or fender of the airbag model could very possibly hinder the correct operation of the sensors and cause the airbag to not deploy as designed.

The correct answer to the situation is NO, Do not install fender extensions on the airbag model. The airbag is a good thing (wish I had one-next bike will have one) and could very well save your life in one of those situations where a car turns left in front of you and you impact the car.

But putting doodles, extensions, chrome, and all that kind of thing on the fender can interfere with the speed and sensor activation. So the only answer is no . Sorry about that, but that is the deal.

If you go into the bike for any reason to do work, steering head bearings, clean the speaker grills , whatever, first always, always, remove the negative battery cable, and wait at least three minutes, this allows the capacitor to bleed down and make it safe to work on the bike, if not the airbag could deploy and send you flying across the shop. Could even injure you.

No fender extensions on the airbag models. No doodles, no safety chrome, the system is designed to sense and operate properly with the weight and set up of the front forks, start changing things and you play with things that have not been tested and as this is a big safety thing, Leave it alone.

We did discuss things like fork springs and Traxion systems, and the like, but no one really knew the answer to that one. I will find out in my travels though.

Kit

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I think the airbag is a good thing to have.At my age I believe I'm On my last wing as I have only 70,000 miles on and hope to get another 100,000,so no air bag for me.Anyway I gotta have all the goodies on that front end.Been wondering ,out of all the motorcycles in the world,all makes,How many of these millions of bikes are Goldwing with airbag??Wonder how many Honda has sold worldwide.I personally know of none in my area...........

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

I have deployed airbags on purpose and they sure enough could hurt you. The chance of an accidental deployment is very slim but could happen. I work on them all the time without worry but I know how it works and how to prevent it from deploying and how to handle it in case it does. Anyone attempting to do their own work on one with an airbag should at least learn the proper procedure for removing and replacing it.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:)Many many thanks guys,your info is truly appreciated,so i will live with the road crud and not bother with the fender extender.
Sorry it's took so long to reply to your comments,been very busy at work.
Thanks again. Burkey.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.