Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Quick question on fenders. I’ve looked at the part numbers and it looks like 1975-1977 fenders were the same but both the 1978 and 1979 have different numbers. What makes the ’78 and ’79 so different that they have different part numbers? Even though the PN is different, will a ’78 or ’79 fender fit easily on the 75-77 models? I'm asking for both Front and Rear fenders. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I have a 77 which was the last year for the spoked wheels. The 78/79 went to a mag type wheel so there is most likely some minor changes in attachment for the front fender. The 78 used different front brakes. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any real problem mounting a 78/79 fender. But others will have a more firm answer.

I have a 78 rear fender on my 77 and the only thing I had to change was some of the wiring & the signal lights mount on the licence plate/rear taillight not up beside the seat. It bolts up just like stock & the seat mounts the same.

The 75-79 all shared the same frame, most differences where cosmetic & with the engine/carb/igniton.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The 75-77 had a slightly different tail light bracket than the later 1000s, the hole spacing is different. I bought a rear fender off eBay for my '76 and then had to get a different tail light bracket. Seems the guy was selling a '78 fender that he thought came from a '76.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Yeup what they said plus

The front fender 75-77 had the speedo cable support on the Right hand side and in 78 it switched to the left. The profile of the fender also changed as the sliders were lengthened an inch or so in 78. They will swap over but it is not perfect. The back is a direct swap except for what "ex" already noted about the brake light mount hole spacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.