Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I bought a used GL1800 CB model 08E95-MCA-100A. It is the latest model CB manufacture date 9/2008. The parts list shows a ferrite to be clamped onto the passanger headset cord. The ferrite is missing. The pevious models of the GL1800 CB didn't have this ferrite. But there was an optional ferrite kit that was needed to stop the squealing on airbag model Goldwings. Does anyone know if the ferrite that comes with the new CB model is required on all Goldwings? I tryed to order one from my local dealer and he said he couldn't order it without the part number and It may not be available separately. Does anyone know what the part number is. This isn't the ferrite kit that was purchased separately for the older CB's and plugged in to both headset cords but a clamp on ferrite for the passenger cord only.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

None of the ones listed look the same. The cable loops around inside those. The installation instructions that came with the CB show the included ferrite just clamps on. I also don't know what the impedance of the ferrite would be. I wonder if it's needed on non airbag model Goldwings. I have an 08 audio/comfort/nav Goldwing. The older model CB's ending in numbers 100, 101, 102 were all made by Clarion and didn't include the ferrite. The new model ending in 100A looks the same but is made by Radio Sound Inc.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

I bought a new CB unit last year, it did not come with any ferrite cores and there was nothing in the instructions aboutinstalling them. Since I have an '06 Airbag, I learned the hard way that I had to have ferrite cores on both driver and passenger cords. Luckily, I got a quick solution here from one of the guys. I don't have the SB with me, but you can pull up Honda Service Bulletins on the web - it appeared to me the ferrite cores only had to be installed on the '06' Airbags (first year for the Airbag) as after that the problem was identified - so I assume the later models come with them installed?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I looked at the parts list for the previous model CB 08E95-MCA-102 made for Honda by Clarion and your rite it doesn't list the ferrite. I have the newest model 08E95-MCA-100A made for Honda by Radio Sound Inc. The issue date on the installation instructions is July 2008. The manufacture date on the CB is Sept. 2008 and it does have a ferrite for the passenger headset cord only. It is item 11 on the parts list. I may just have to install the CB without it and see if I have any noise problems. The Ferrite kit in the link you posted is $99.95 from Honda.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

I would try it without it. If you bought a Hondaline kit and you need the part, it should be a warranty item. The ferrite cores I installed were covered by warranty. Can't hurt to try without them, if you get a squeal you need it.

Do you have a service manual or have you removed the top shelter before? Kind of a major pain, and unless you have done it before, a service manual is muchneeded.

What year is your bike? How many miles? If close to the service interval, considerchanging (or at least check) the air filter while you have the shelter off - saves a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I bought the CB used off eBay. It came off a 2009 that was totaled with only 900 miles.

My bike is a 2008 Audio/Comfort/Nav. I just turned over 12,000 miles. I just changed the oil, have an air filter on order from Wingstuff.com.

I did purchase a service manual in July. I have also watch the Steve Sanders video on replacing the air filter and installing the CB. I plan on doing them at the same time next week.

I'm trying to figure out now if I need the ferrite or not since it does come with the newest CB model. It only comes with one for the passenger not the driver. The 2006 airbag model required both.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I just found a snap on ferrite core that looks like the picture in my installation manual and it say it blocks out CB radio interference and only cost $2.18. Much better then the ferrite core kit like used on the 2006 airbag model that Honda now sells for $99.95. The web site is http://store.solar-electric.com/emisucofor1r.html I also found one on Radio Shacks web site for $5.29 but it doesn't say what radio frequencies it blocks.
I would still like to know if I really need it or not.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I never had a problem. I was just trying to find out if I neededthe ferritebefore I installed the CB I bought used that was missing it. Since then I have installed the CB and it works great without the ferrite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.