Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are discussing riding the GW down to the Outer Banks. I know that ferry rides are going to be part of the equation and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for how to secure the bike? I have been on the ferry from South Port, NC to Ft. Fisher NC but not on the bike. I guess my concern is the bike rocking over if it isn't secured.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
We rode a Ferry out to Prince Edward Island, then back to Maine once... no problem...except the one to Maine had a pub on board. Lesson Learned THERE I'll say... DO NOT PARTAKE is MY advice :ssshh: ;)

We just put the '77 GL1000 on the center stand, no problem...but there were no rough seas then either. :waving:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
The ferries between Vancouver Isl and the mainland use some sort of "chocks" under the tires. Why not call the ferry company and ask them directly? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
We used to ride the two ferries here, of course its not a long ride on either one, but when ever we did ride the ferry, I put my bike on the center stand...Once a big ship cut in front of the ferry and it was grab the bike to keep it from falling over...The ferry crew was very helpful on giving us a hand that time...Most times it was just get off put it on the center stand and enjoy the ride...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I personally would never, ever put my bike on the center stand on a ferry. The contact patch of two tires and kickstand if far bigger than the front tire, and the 2 center stand points.

Since the back tire is not touching the ground, one good lunge forward, and the bike is coming off the centerstand. On the side stand, at least the back tire in gear will help keep the bike moving for the most part.

Like a three legged stool with the legs far apart, or close together. Which will be more steady?

·
Premium Member
67,757 Posts
I don't know how far that ferry ride is, but I cross ferries around here all the time.. My suggestion is to be on the bike at the landing.. They can be abrupt..

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I personally would never, ever put my bike on the center stand on a ferry. The contact patch of two tires and kickstand if far bigger than the front tire, and the 2 center stand points.

Since the back tire is not touching the ground, one good lunge forward, and the bike is coming off the centerstand. On the side stand, at least the back tire in gear will help keep the bike moving for the most part.

Like a three legged stool with the legs far apart, or close together. Which will be more steady?
wanna bet

ill put my wing on the center stand and let my kid try to push it over from one side to the other

then we will put your bike on the side stand and let my kid do the same from the left side pushing to the right,,,,guess whos bike will be laying on its side?

a small bungee cord on the brake lever keeps bike from rolling forward

i guess you transport bikes in trailers on the side stand then?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know how far that ferry ride is, but I cross ferries around here all the time.. My suggestion is to be on the bike at the landing.. They can be abrupt..
I was hoping you would chime in, since it looks like you are on a ferry in your avatar. ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I lived in the Seattle area for 8 years. Rode the ferries all the time with the bike. I would put my PC 800 on the center stand and never had a problem with it. Now granted, I was not on the bike in the middle of the winter with 8 foot waves rocking the boat. I would not worry about the bike going over unless it is a very small boat in rough weather. I would also put it on the center stand. Depending on the boat, you may just want to stay with the bike if you are that worried about it.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have taken the Cat Ferry to N.S. from Maine a couple of times. The floor had places to hood straps to. 4 straps, no issues, but I doubt that it would have fallen over without them as the ride was smooth everytime.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I have been on both ferry boats where you speak. First off, don't even worry 'bout it. It is a great ride, and the rides are short, so you could just stand by, or on your bike. Other bikers were onboard,too, and had no problems. I have a trike, so there was no issue for us. You will LOVE Ocracoke Island! Check out the old weather station there! I envy you, as that area is one of our favorite places to visit. We would rent a house close to the beach and fishing pier, (there are several). Fishin is good,too in spring! Seriously, it is a pleasant ferry ride, and well worth it. Plus, the Ocracoke one is FREE! Can't remember about the other one. You MUST try the "she crab soup" that is famous around there. It is the richest seafood entre' I have ever indulged! People are super friendly, and eager to visit. Good luck with your plan, and have a blast!!!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,931 Posts

I agree.
Wow, a whole new thing to argue about. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
The last time I was on a ferry, I left my headlight on. I had to get a jump start from the ferry crew, (thanks guys). Anyway, eiither way, sidestand or centerstand should be fine. If rough waters, stand by the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been on both ferry boats where you speak. First off, don't even worry 'bout it. It is a great ride, and the rides are short, so you could just stand by, or on your bike. Other bikers were onboard,too, and had no problems. I have a trike, so there was no issue for us. You will LOVE Ocracoke Island! Check out the old weather station there! I envy you, as that area is one of our favorite places to visit. We would rent a house close to the beach and fishing pier, (there are several). Fishin is good,too in spring! Seriously, it is a pleasant ferry ride, and well worth it. Plus, the Ocracoke one is FREE! Can't remember about the other one. You MUST try the "she crab soup" that is famous around there. It is the richest seafood entre' I have ever indulged! People are super friendly, and eager to visit. Good luck with your plan, and have a blast!!!!
Thanks for the info. My folks go to the OB a good deal and they love it. Unfortunately I am allergic to shellfish and cannot eat shrimp, crab, lobster, etc. I can and do eat all kinds of fish, like the mackrel in the picture, snapper, red fish, etc.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.