Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With all the events posted in Ireland and having seen the pics of the birthday bash, I am tempted to "brave" a visit as soon as time and money allow!

I would like to hear of the best ways to cross. Which companies do the best deals, where is best to get the ferry ( bearing in mind I am a Mouthey Southey), and very importantly, which companies look after the bikes best?

I have never had the pleasure of going to Ireland, just a case of it being reletively close and saying, "must go to Ireland one day"

I am sure if it were an official visit, there are group bookings to be had, but this enquirey is more aimed at, if we just wanted to come over and tour.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, and I promise not to even mention deer alerts if I come over!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hi Pete. Lots of people from the UK travel to the Irish treffen in August, so that would be a nice time to travel. I'd say if you posted a notice on the GWOCGBforum you would find outwhat any groups are coming over and you could travel with them. The GWOCGB forum isn't the busiest of forums but there arew a couple of helpful guys there that will know who is traveling from their respective regions, what club deals can be had from your side etc. :waving:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

The Elite Wings group I belong to recently had a trip to Ireland. We went via the seacat out of Holyhead - have to say a few were seaick as it was blowing 50knot winds LOL - yours truely is a particulary bad sailor and the wife was taking the mick - must have grown some sea legs over night as i was okay but she was as sick as dog.

Have to say if any of you havent been to Ireland start making you plans the country and above all the people are terrific. You will be made most welcome and have a throughly wondeful time - I will be going back thats for sure. We travelled (via Dublin) to Killareny and used it as a base for 5 days magical bike riding - the secenry has to be seen to do it justice.

Enjoy your trip Silverfox you wont regret it

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys for the info, my inclination is for a trip just with the girlfriend, at the moment, belonged to the GWOCOGB back in the 80's and for now don't want to rejoin. Nothing against clubs, just leading a life that doesn't allow commitment at the moment. The informality of this site, suits me, with everything going on at the moment and I do look foward to continuing that way.

I will investigate the ferries on the jolly old internet shortly, and then all we have to do is make the time!! That unfortunately, will likely be after the good weather is behind us, too much mucking up our holiday plans to go sooner.

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Silverfox ,,You would be more than welcome to join us at the Irish treffen at the end of august in Bandon west Cork ,,you can get the stena line fast ferry from fishguard in wales to roslare and then drive on down the coast to cork ,,The fast ferry takes just under 2 hours and will cost around 80 t0 90 sterling return for a bike and two people ,,,Irish ferries also run from Pembroke to roslare but it is a longer sea journey ,4 hours, I prefer to spend time on the road rather than on the sea ,,,If you cannot make the treffen in august you will be welcome on any of the runs ,,just driop me a line and let me know when you are coming over ...You dont have to belong to any club to join us for a visit .....cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

wexman wrote:
Hi Silverfox ,,You would be more than welcome to join us at the Irish treffen at the end of august in Bandon west Cork ,,you can get the stena line fast ferry from fishguard in wales to roslare and then drive on down the coast to cork ,,The fast ferry takes just under 2 hours and will cost around 80 t0 90 sterling return for a bike and two people ,,,Irish ferries also run from Pembroke to roslare but it is a longer sea journey ,4 hours, I prefer to spend time on the road rather than on the sea ,,,If you cannot make the treffen in august you will be welcome on any of the runs ,,just driop me a line and let me know when you are coming over ...You dont have to belong to any club to join us for a visit .....cheers Ciaran
Thanks for the open invite, I have tentatively mentioned it to Helen today and she is not averse to the idea, ( mind you she hasn't seen the pics of the birthday bash yet!!) As I said it is down to whether we can get the time away, if not it will have to go on the calender for next year.

Thank you one and all for the info on best way to get over, I shall have to do some investigation on internet now and hope we can fit it all in round work and other commitments

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Silverfox :waving: I could ask my :3sum:neighbour to fly over and collect you both at one of the airports, and he would give you the loan of his :18red:to tour around Ireland for a week. :banana:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey Silverfox :waving: I could ask my :3sum:neighbour to fly over and collect you both at one of the airports, and he would give you the loan of his :18red:to tour around Ireland for a week. :banana:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

Hey Redwing, Redhill is our nearest small airport, can be there at the drop of a hat!!:clapper:

If we do get over, we expect an invite for tea and sticky buns at your place!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

And dont forget a spin on the honda 50cc,,PS bring a bone for SHEP ...CIARAN

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

wexman wrote:
And dont forget a spin on the honda 50cc,,PS bring a bone for SHEP ...CIARAN
Ah yes, now that would be something else, a ride on the now imfamous Honda 50!!

Just to stand in the precence of the great Redwing,and to meet the long suffering Shep..... Wow!!:bowing:

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's hard to tell which companies are actually cheapest because it depends what deals they have on and which route you're taking. I usually travel from Holyhead to Dublin with Irish Ferries but I always check on www.ferrysavers.co.uk and other price comparison companies, as they will show you in their results who is cheapest and if your flexible with the dates and times they will show you what could end up being a lot lower in cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.