Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a 1800a5 trike eml conversion and today when out riding i noticed that the fi light came on,didnt notice any lack of power there was no backfiring infact i didnt notice any change in power at all switched off ignition restarted and light went out so run the bike up to about fifty and on came the light again.i am wondering could this be a failing senseri dont want to ride it until i know that i am not doing any damage to the bike but as it is about 500 miles to return it to the company that sold it to me and whodid the conversion and would not like to take it all that way if there is a major problem hope somone can help

leigh:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, old horse:waving:
I have an Old Wing, so I can't help, but stay tuned, the gurus will give some recomendations.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

That's usually a sign of a faulty CO sensor on the exhaust. The 01 and 02 models were particularly prone to these failing, but later models can fail ocasionally as well. Is there a possibility that one of the connectors was disturbed during the trike coversion? I know these conversions are a major job and all sorts of things have to be disturbed and hacked.
Either way it would proabably be better to get a Honda dealer to plug in the diagnostic first and see what it says, your trike fitter won't have access to the testing equipment.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey old horse :leprechaun: Welcome to the Forum :clapper:i hope you get your Fi light sorted. :waving:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ok i understand that the senser could fail but would that not mean that the light would be on all the time the engine was running,as i say it only comes on when the speed gets to around fifty and am i doing any damage to it if i run it at all,oh and thanks eddie for your help and thanks all for the welcome:D

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hi Leigh and welcome. If the exhaust sensor goes bad it might still read okay at different speeds or engine rpm, that would explain the FI light only coming n at 50. A trip to a Honda dealer to get it diagnosed is a must. Probably wonæt do any harm in the meantime, sspecially if the bike is running fine with the light on.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Hi Leigh and welcome. If the exhaust sensor goes bad it might still read okay at different speeds or engine rpm, that would explain the FI light only coming n at 50. A trip to a Honda dealer to get it diagnosed is a must. Probably wonæt do any harm in the meantime, sspecially if the bike is running fine with the light on.
thanks for that norman taking it to the dealers on monday to get it looked at bought it thruogh collin appleyards in yorkshire, so still under warranty with them but dont fancy taking it all the way up there if there is a real problem with it so will take it to a local one to get it checked out,hopefully it is just a duff sensor and i havent done any damage to it

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

A duff sensor won't do any harm Leigh, the worst ity will do is make the ilde a bit rough. They will just fit a new one and that's it. :waving:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks for the help ted, rode it today and nothing at all no light nothing and run lovely,just a thought i filled the tank up just before the light came on the other day wondering if this might have somthing to do with it ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.