Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I`m looking at taking off of my 83 i , the chrome rails that were installed on the bag lids & also the luggage rack on top of top box. (want that smooth stock look) I was thinking of this black stuff you buy at home depot , but forgot it`s name (maybe abs cement ???) :baffled:

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Black ABS Cement, Oatey #30999, ABS Cleaner, Oatey #30779

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Whats the cleaner for ?? Do you use the cleaner then just fill in the hole ??

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Normally when gluing ABS pipe joints, use the cleaner first. For me I find using the cleaner makes better repairs to the M/C ABS. The cleaner will clean oil/dirt/dust/polish and tends to soften the ABS before evaporating. Apply the cement as the cleaner is evaporating. Just don't let the cleaner stay on painted parts.

For reinforcement I use fiberglass tape (2" wide roll) found in hardware store tape and bedding department.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've been using ABS cement for ABS repairs on 'Wings for a good while now and have found it to be about the best stuff, far better bond than polyester resin or epoxies. To fill screw holes just stick some tape on the outside of the hole and give the hole two or three coats on the inside allowing plenty of time to harden between coats. Thin coats work best. If you're going to paint the outside after the repair add one more thin coat on the outside after removing the tape. Don't pile up a bunch of coats that haven't fully hardened, the reason ABS cement bonds so well is that it's really like a chemical weld, the solvent in the cement dissolves the ABS substrate. So if you pile too much on without letting the under layers to fully harden you can end up with a softened surface that takes forever to harden.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

The abs glue does adhere well.

After some brake fluid dripped in a saddlebag and caused a number of long cracks, I used abs glue with fibatape (drywalling mesh tape) to patch.

Strong patches...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's amazing what brake fluid does to ABS plastic. When my brother and I were changing the front brake pads on his BMW we managed to slop fluid out of the master and got a bit on his instrument panel cover. We immediately hosed it off but the plastic started falling apart like it was a thousand years old. It's weird how it comes apart, it doesn't get soft or dissolve; it just starts fragmenting in chunks. It only takes a very few seconds of exposure too. It might not happen so fast if the plastic was painted, his dash cover was natural colored black ABS.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

If you look on line you can find plastic welding kits that will also do a good job of repairing ABS it takes a little work to build the skill to use it but the results are worth it for for some repairs.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Black ABS Cement, Oatey #30999, ABS Cleaner, Oatey #30779

Of course i went to my local Nohave depot & they didn`t have either one (of course they had every other color cement)
I`ll have to go to the Lowes (on the way to work) & see if they have it. (there building a Lowes1 mile from my house & can`t wait untill they finish it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Ace Hardware has it in their own brand.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It might not happen so fast if the plastic was painted, his dash cover was natural colored black ABS.
Paint makes no difference, it might slow the action down but I had to replace both my side covers a couple of years ago when my wing spent it;s first winter in an unheated garage & the brake & clutch reservoirs dripped fluid when the temps dropped. :X:X:X

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No, paint won't stop the effect of brake fluid on ABS but I think it would slow down the effect enough that with quick action one might be able to wash it off before the damage was done. The paint would still be damaged but it might give enough time to wash off the brake fluid before the plastic began to disintegrate.

I've been using WeldOn black ABS cement from Lowes and other hardware stores, costs around three bucks a can. Comes in the round can with the screwtop lid and a dauber.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I would just fill the hole with a polished ss button head bolt. I think it would look better than trying to patch the hole and color match it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Hello from the UK,

Use a product called plastic bumper repair, comes in a tubewith a sachet of hardener, made by Isopon, it doe's a great Job on all plastics,

Regards,

Bill.:waving:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.