Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know everyone has their own way to fill the clutch hydraulic line after repairing/replacing slave cylinder parts but I wanted to throw something out there for your perusal:

I figure since the slave cylinder bleed has an "O" ring on it that must mean it is acceptable to fill the cylinder, tubing and reservoir from the bleed.

I bought a syringe at the feed store that is big enough to hold maybe 20CC. Then I went to the hardware store and bought some clear vinyl tubing to snugly go over the end of the syringe and the end of the bleed. I had a 20CC syringe so what worked best for me is clear vinyl tubing 5/16" OD and 3/16" ID. 8MM OD and 4.7MM ID.

Put the tubing on the syringe and sucked up a bunch of DOT4 fluid then stuck the end of the tubing over the bleed, loosened the bleed maybe 1/3 turn then started filling from the bottom into the reservoir which had just enough fluid in it to watch bubbles come through the fluid. I kept refilling the syringe until no more bubbles would come into the reservoir. I think it is more thorough if you turn your handle-bars all the way right when your war-horse is on his center stand. This got all the air out of my clutch system and I hope it does the same for you.

I gave you a picture of some bubbles just to pump you up a little...

Chow

Attachments

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha Ha. It does look a little beer-ish doesn`t it? Even some 'foam'.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I would not drink that crud. The brake fluid either.
Odd though- mine is much closer to clear than that.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Our Gov. wants everything made/mixed with corn.
Looks like a couple rows of corn kernels on the left.

But we know that can't be corn base brake fluid in there. . . could we? :shock:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is 'BrakeBest Select' DOT4. I think I got it from O`Reilly`s when I did my rear brake last year. Select has to be good right? I know my old friend likes it better than the gunked up stuff that was in there. It was nasty.

Looks a little like rum or something huh? Or coors. No corn though that I`m aware of.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I have been using Valvoline.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.