Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I have a LED light bar installed on top of the trunk lid.
It is wired in a way that even when the key is in ACCESSORY position it is on ( it blinks rapidly on and off when I apply the brakes)
This is the only light that works with ACCESSORY on, so I think it may me a separate circuit.
Im going to ride to the West side of the peninsula and did the quick checks on the bike. This light does not work any longer.
Any idea how it is connected? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Not much help here Peter but it obviously is connected to a circuit that is hot in both run and accessory. I think you need to follow the wires from the light back. Might well be a fuse in the line along the way. Also don't forget you need a good ground as well as power. Third remember to check that the light works. I suspect there is a module that makes it flash somewhere. Might be integral with the light or stand alone some where in the circuit. Being it is not OEM it might have been installed poorly. My next best guess is that the module (flasher) has failed. Also it is a common practice to use an isolation module between the accessory and the bike. If that fails you could lose function. Does the light bar flash left and right when you use directional lights?
Not much help but it is hard to say where and how people do custom installs. Do you have a name for the product and model number? If you find a user manual they might have a suggested method for installation and wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I had one on my 08 wing. if I remember correctly it plugs into a plug under the trunk lid. If you remove the black piece attached to the inside of the trunk you should find it. Mine only came on when the brakes were applied not with the ACC position. I also had a jumper wire so bith the lights on trunk light up as brake lights

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys
i cannot ser your pic Joe on phone but i see it fine in comp. Guess my cell has a problem.
I removed the plastic under the lid.
Never knew a few relays and conectors in there.
I checked on the wires going to the light and has power.
I removed the light bar and had power right at the connection

I guess i need a new light

Surprisingly its made by honda

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Thank you guys
i cannot ser your pic Joe on phone but i see it fine in comp. Guess my cell has a problem.
I removed the plastic under the lid.
Never knew a few relays and conectors in there.
I checked on the wires going to the light and has power.
I removed the light bar and had power right at the connection

I guess i need a new light

Surprisingly its made by honda

Are you sure it has power and ground? Does it look like it is serviceable at all? I bet John or Denverwinger could fix it if they were willing.

·
Administrator
24,666 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Now I wonder how it functioned. There are only 2 wires to this light yet it acted as a regular light then when you press the brake it became brighter while flickering. Perhaps the relay did the trick.
I have found a light at wingstuff but that looks like has three wires,
When I put my tester (Pointy thing with an wire an aligator clip, LED inside) between the two wire, my tester lights up. But if I press the brakes it just stay continuously on with the same intensity So now what? To late to play with it as I have to prepare for tomorrow

Now i see previous post. Doesn't look like there is anything serviceable. There is no ground per say as it only has two wires and the whole thing is plastic, I got to investigate this a bit longer before I buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Investigation complete. Thank God for YouTube.
I watched a guy how to install spoiler light aka fin. When he was done the light worked just as a brake light does, only on while braking
On the end of the video he said he's going to make another video on how to install a Tail Blazer. It caught my attention so i watched it
A tail blazer is a small modulator that installs in line with the light. It gets power from two sources.
I disconnected the blazer and connected the light stright thru and the light works as a brake.
I buttoned it all up with the idea that i have to buy me an whatchamacallit.
THEN i said to myself i really dont think those online crimping connectors work always great . So I took everything apart i span it a bit on the wire and recramped and everything is working great.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. The trail blazer explains why it flashed when you applied the brakes. Mine was just a brake light.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Now I wonder how it functioned. There are only 2 wires to this light yet it acted as a regular light then when you press the brake it became brighter while flickering. Perhaps the relay did the trick.

Peter, 6 volts is applied for the running light, 12 volts is applied for the brake light. Both via the same wire.....!!

Hope this answers your question about how it functions...!:D

·
Administrator
57,962 Posts

Peter, 6 volts is applied for the running light, 12 volts is applied for the brake light. Both via the same wire.....!!

Hope this answers your question about how it functions...!:D
Their little adapter is just a switcher with a diode from the 6v line. Probably a Zener diode to make it simple. Then the brake just applies full battery voltage to the same line. The Zener diode can't be back fed, it goes to the same 12v source, so it is just "shorted out" and the light goes from Dim to Bright.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
:D
Their little adapter is just a switcher with a diode from the 6v line. Probably a Zener diode to make it simple. Then the brake just applies full battery voltage to the same line. The Zener diode can't be back fed, it goes to the same 12v source, so it is just "shorted out" and the light goes from Dim to Bright.
The unit is standard on the GL1500 SE......! It is fed from the running and brake light circuits, one output goes to the spoiler light. The unit is located behind the left saddlebag....!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts