Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys

I have a 1993 1500 with a weird problem in the final drive. But first a little history of the bike

Some of you may remember my hydro lock and the stupid AA man trying to bump start the bike (unsuccessfully ). The engine is fine and the bike drives through the gears as it ever has.

Now the problem I have is that for 85% of the wheel turn (out of gear) the wheel spins as quiete as a church mouse. However for the other 15% the final drive area makes a real loud clicking or grumbling sound. When it is driven I cannot hear the same noise I think

My question is have a damaged a small part of the drive shaft and during trying to bump start or have I damaged my final drive for good.

I have not pulled the final drive yet and trying to put it off until I have to.

What do you guys think I am hoping that it will be the cheaper option.

Thanks guys happy new year

Andy.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

It's time you 'have to'!

At least pull the rear wheel and check the bearings and drive flange at minimum!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
imported post

I would think that if it's damaged you would know it under hard acceration. But you should defanatly find the cause of the noise.
Wilf
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Cheers all will get to do it at some point maybe tomorrow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
imported post

Definatly find the cause of the noise, you may want to check the gear-oil in the final drive also... :gunhead:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
148 Posts
imported post

These drives are very strong and durable at this lowmileage i wouldnt expect any wear on your final drive, has it being serviced with moly paste 60 recently, if you pull the rear drive put moly pasteon it, change the differental oil and tighten as per torque spec, while there check brake pads and disc as this could be warped causing rubbing etc. I recently pulled the reardrive on my 1800 and 1500 there was no wear on both like new so speaking from experience you have a small problem i hope.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
90 Posts
imported post

Hi I had a loud clicking from the back end of my 1988 as the rear disc was low I changed and new pads. changed the oil in the diff and put back together. Unfortunatly the click was still there. So It was stripped down again and we lubed the very dry splined shaft that enters into the diff, Hey Presto silence! Hope this helps, Derek
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks all i have decided to strip it down as you all sugest i have molly etc and give it a good going over.

andy
 

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
Joined
·
3,381 Posts
imported post

You could inspect the u-joint as well. they tick sometimes.

Just sayin'.........
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hello all just a quick update. I spent 3 hours in the garrage with my goldwing today and i have to report that i found and fixed my tic virbration or what ever you want to call it.



this is waht i did



1. read this tread and and sat and thought aboutwhat to do



2. i decided to strip the plastic off the back end so i could get a closer look at all the moveing bits. why is it so difficult to pinpoint noise !!



3. i then started to pull the brake caliper off so i could get the wheel off so off it came and i thought ill just spin the wheel and no noise at all. so it id the caliper and you have probably guesed by now that it had stoped retracting properly and was binding in onepart of the disc



4 i removed the brake pipe completely striped the thing down and found that the pistons were very dirty i cleaned them up as best i could and reasembled spun the wheel and it is quite.



took the opportunity flush the brake fluid through as i bled the system..



the pistons will have to be replaced at some point i fear and will be affected during the winter but they can stay for now.



once again thanks all for the comments and have a great new year
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

vencowings.com can get you those in stainless. I think they were $20 each last I checked on them.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

You can pick up a newer caliper from a triked 1500 off ebay cheap, $9.99-$29 USD
Also be sure and clean the slider pins and lightly grease them. Do all your calipers while at it and the brake and clutch fluid if it has not been done in the past 2 years. 1 year is best to change those fluids. Clean out the master cylinders of the old fluid(turkey injector works great) swish some new brake fluid in there, dump, or suck out and wipe w/clean rag before putting in new Dot4 fluid.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top