Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm still trying to find the source of a noise inthe final drive area of my 85 Aspy the final drive checks out good the front universal is also good I did find cut marks on the left or wheelend of the final drive distance collar I believe thats the correct term it looks like a piece of pipe about 4 inches long goes in the center of the final drive the axle goes through it anyoneknow what would cause those marks on the distance collar? Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

What kind of noise and when does it show up? Will it make a noise when hand turning the rear wheel on the center stand?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
I'm still trying to find the source of a noise inthe final drive area of my 85 Aspy the final drive checks out good the front universal is also good I did find cut marks on the left or wheelend of the final drive distance collar I believe thats the correct term it looks like a piece of pipe about 4 inches long goes in the center of the final drive the axle goes through it anyoneknow what would cause those marks on the distance collar? Thanks
TJ859, if you are talking about the L/H wheel spacer having marks on it? That would probably from the rear brake caliper, the brakecaliper mounts over that L/H spacer.

Asfar as the noise goes? What type of noise is it? Is it a once per revolution noise or is it faster than wheel rotation?

Are the rear wheel drive bushings worn, rotten, or dry? If so that in itself will make a lot of noise.

Does the noise go away if the wheel is rotated with the brake caliper removed? If so it's probably dragging brakes.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The noise is there if I'm coasting or under powerlike a once per revolution sound.The distance collar I'm talking about goes inside the final drive and the axle goes through it, new SKF bearings installed and rebuilt calipers all around

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
The noise is there if I'm coasting or under powerlike a once per revolution sound.The distance collar I'm talking about goes inside the final drive and the axle goes through it, new SKF bearings installed and rebuilt calipers all around
TJ859, OK, I now understand where those marks are. I sure can't think of anything that comes close to that spacer that would leave those marks. Is it possible they are from vice grips that were used on that spacer at one time?

On your once per rev noise. (something to check)- Those early 1200 Wings had a problem with the wheel hole being machined too large for the wheel bearing so they would snap or click as they rotated. I have seen a service bulletin on that problem but not sure when the cut-off on build date was of it even included the 85. I can't remember where I saw the bulletin but if I can find it I will post it for you. Maybe some of the others here can remember the exact facts on that wheel bearing problem.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks twisty the wheel bearings where shot when I replaced them but no signs of them spinning inthe hub as for those marks on the distancecollar Inow have abunch of peoplescratching their heads trying to figure out what could cause themif and when I find the source I will post the results.Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
Thanks twisty the wheel bearings where shot when I replaced them but no signs of them spinning inthe hub as for those marks on the distancecollar Inow have abunch of peoplescratching their heads trying to figure out what could cause themif and when I find the source I will post the results.Thanks
TJ859, were those new wheel bearings a tight press fit in the hubs? I believe there were oversized bearings available for the original problem so those could have been tight.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
If I'm thinking about the same spacer you're mentioning, it's possible that the marks you're seeing (unless they are pretty deep) might have been made by someone having a hard time getting the rear wheel back on the bike. If you don't have things lined up right it can get pretty tight and someone lacking patience might have tried to hammer the spacer in further or bunged it up with the wheel itself trying to jam it in.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hey twisty yes the new wheel bearings where nice andtight fitting my local honda mech says those marks on the distance collarhad to have come from wheel removal or wheel replacement.Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi exavid my local honda mech agrees with you the marks on the distance collar could only come from wheel removal or wheel replacement.Thanks for the reply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.