Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

need some advice,
looks like the final drive flange on my 1984 Old-wing, 109,000 miles. is starting to wear out, the cost for a new drive flange is $142. from Bike Bandit, but I would probably have to change the Final drive gear set as well, $317.

so, repair or sell, this is starting to be a money pit.
any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
Notodd:

You are correct about EBay. But look at the splines of the one that you posted, their mostly already eaten away.

I wouldn't buy that one......... The seller shouldn't be selling it either, someone unsuspecting is going to buy that one and get about 2 thousand miles on it.

If they don't show the splines very well, as in the one that I posted, I would always email the seller and ask if they could send a good picture of the splines, if they can;t, don't buy it.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

a lot of these splines sure looks like they are worn.
what about the rubber flanges that the studs go into?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Yea, Thats why you need to ask for pics if they don't show them.

So you need the final drive unit and the hub that goes on the wheel?

I would just keep an eye on EBay, one that is good will show up at the right price soon. I would say you have all winter, but I see your in Cali were it's summer all year round.....

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

Several members have 1200 parts for sale on this forum, have you checked there?

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Damn man, if you'd had an 1100 I've got a couple of flanges you could've had for free, why don't you try to find out if they're the same, if they are PM me, I'll only want shipping money.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

sorry for that.. dont know what 1200 splines look like. was just trying to help. But should have known, cant look much different then 1100s like I haave.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

just checked with Bike Bandit, no there not the same, but thank you anyway

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

it would appear that the splines on both ends have a limited life expectancy, this must be part of normal wear and tear.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

The splines last a lot longer if you spread Moly 60 on them moderately and I mean moderately, otherwise, if you over grease them, it'll end up all over your rear rim and tire, I know this for a fact!!

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

well, it's dropping down to 48 tonight with rain coming in, way to cold for motorcycle riding.
much fog after the rain

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

FYI. You have mentioned Bike Bandit several times. While these parts are listed on the fiche they are likely discontinued. Be sure to look in the QTY. column. If they are avail there will be a 0 inside of a writable field so you can add in theQTY. desired. Otherwise part is likely discontinued.

So, as others have mentioned, used is likely the only way to go in this case but important to know for future repairs.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Here guys just a thought use tiny Url program for those big links..I have used it for years no issues..free..no spy wear etc. etc.

http://tinyurl.com/

just copy and paste the URl your one into their site and it done ..then paste that on to the thread..Once you use it will automatically do that for you..if you are on a page and click their site..it assumes that is the one you want to shorten and posts the link on their site all you do is copy and paste..it in..

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

DARN IT ! your right, the flange is discontinued, but the the gear set.
the manual says that the gear set requires special tools to disassemble, so now I am looking at the entire hub !!
and a used flange

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

I've used the 1500 final drives to replace several 1200's units. You can pick them up cheap on ebay off a triked bike. There are some modifications needed but it's pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

The splines on the ring gear are made of harder steel than the flange. Are you sure that the ring gear splines are worn out.
Good advice on getting a look at the driven flange splines before buying. A good one should be less than $100 on E-Bay.
The shock bushings in the wheel hub are a different problem. They sometimes wear out, caused by too little lube and or a worn out and wobbly driven flange. Been there fixed that. Both hub o-rings should be replaced because worn ones will allow the lube to get out and also dirt to get in. Molly 60 is the correct lube. Honda has it.

Be aware that a 1984 and 1985 flange will fit your wheel. 1986 and 1987 flange will mount on your 1984 but will fit loosely on the hub and will wear the wheel shock bushings and the flange splines out in short order. Luck
Bobby

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.