Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a ??? on final drives. I have a 1992 GL1500A with 101,000 miles ,runs and looks flawless, also a 1983 silverwing GL650 with 60,000 miles,runs great. I was told these bikes should have very little final drive lash when accelerating and decelerating. Both of mine have some so I put them on center stands and measured the lash with the bikes in first gear , measuring at the outer edge of the tire tread.The GL1500 has 1 inch of free play or lash and the GL650 had 1.75 inches . Can anyone tell me what is acceptable or if these tolerannces should be. Thanks for your ideas.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

By the time you get to the outside diameter of the tire that 1.75 inch equates to a few thousandths of an inch. Actually yours seem to be on the tight side. I'd find something else to worry about if I were you.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

What jdvorchak said but if your worried do what you should do anyway and put the final drive and shaft, examine the splines and lube them with moly45 or better.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

It is the rubber shock absorbers placed on the rear wheel that wear out and give too much slack. Mine were worn out at 100,000 miles. There were 6 of them, and it cost #18.00 each from mother Honda. Get used to it, or replace them. I put on a new rear wheel from a trike conversion to get rid of my slack.

At 100,000 miles it is time to pull the driveshaft out for an inspection. Lightly grease splines with Honda 60 Moly paste.
gumbyred
`98 S.E.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.