Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently changed out the final drive oil which was the original oil (2224 total miles on the odometer). The original oil was dark and appeared grayish. I drained the oil and replaced it with Mobil One 75W-90 Synthetic. I assume that some of the original oil remaining in the housing discolored the replacement oil – hopefully. The oil currently sort of looks like the Moly 60 I just used on drive gearing. Not knowing how the thing looks internally, is there a possible seal leak or do I just need to thoroughly clean the housing?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I have read a lot of threads on this topic. From what i understand, you should change the rear end oil out at about 7 or 8 thousand miles, because of the dark color and also metal shavings that they have found. I have 7 thousand on my 08 1800. Im planning on changing to amsoil full synthetic and also my gear oil at the same time. I think its better to change it out up front to get rid of any break in period oil. Hope that helps. Start changing it out with your oil changes from here on out.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. There are no shavings that can see.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Grayish looking gear oil usually means there's water whipped into the oil. Could be condensation, could be some water was in the oil when a PO filled the final. The Honda manual for the 1100 calls for checking the final drive oil every 8000 miles but doesn't specifiy a change interval.I have no problem changing my rear drive oil every other year or around 24-30,000 miles. The gear oil doesn't deteriorate nearly as fast as engine oil since there's very little exposure to water or contaminents in the final drive. As for changing seals, I wouldn't touch them unless there's some leakage.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Mobil One 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil. I also use it in my ST.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would not worry about it, just change the rear drive gear lube about every time you change the oil. Only takes a little time and the amount of gear lube needed is very small.

It is normal for it to turn dark, it does get hot, although it does not get contaminants in it like oil in an engine does, it still turns dark and discolors. Water can get into it some too, from condensation, or a lot of riding in the rain if the top vent somehow is allowing a bit of water in.

Normal to discolor, heat, moisture, if you change it occasionally it will be fine.

I just about bet most used bikes you buy, have never had the rear drive fluid changed. I never change it on a car, never, I will check it sometimes and if a bit low pour in some more. :cheeky1::cheeky1: The rest of the car will fall apart before the rear drive oil causes a problem.

Yep it gets dark, do not think it hurts anything, seems to just always do that.

Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.