Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've been plagued with a steady weep of oil from the final drive ever since new. I didn't even realize it was a problem until I saw some others, all shiny and dry.

Well, Honda replaced the seal under warranty, no problem there, except that it was soon evident it was still leaking.

Then they (Honda, I think) suggested a tube on the drain spigot tied up high, if the tube collects oil it is the seal, if not then it is the casing.

Turns out it is the casing, seems to me Fenderhead suggested porous casting a long time back.

So I guess they will have to replace the casting.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I hope its under warranty John, they are not cheap if you have to pay. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Well, Honda didn't believe it was the castings and would not authorize replacing them.

Instead they asked the dealer to disassemble it and reassemble with fresh sealant.

It worked, it has now been dry for a couple of weeks, not many miles because I haven't felt like riding much, but I feel confident that it is now fixed.

Attabaoys to Westside Honda in Selkirk for their patience, and Honda for calling it right, even if we didn't believe them!!!!

And it was all done under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I never did get back on this, it still leaked even after disassembly and resealing. Not as much as before, and it took a little while to show up, but it still leaked.

Well finally the dealer asked Honda for approval to replace the complete final drive, which was given, and the dealer was able to get one in and replace it just before we left for Hamburg.

Now about 5000 mi later it is still as shiny as the day it was installed. I am sure glad I had the extended warranty, at $2300 plus labour. I am not sure, but it might have been covered under regular warranty, regardless it is fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Nice to see a satisfied customer. Happy trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.