Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, bearings sorted. Was hoping to get it all sorted this evening, but am unable to locate the drive shaft/final drive into the Universal Joint in the swingarm. Other than taking to a hammer :X(nearly, but steady on) has anyone any tips or advice. What appears to happen is that the driveshaft semi locates but won't go all the way (steady:p) so the final drive bolts are locating in the swingarm - just. And then there is no way to make any shaft movements.

HELP

Thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The U-joint must be facing up and centered in the hub before the final drive shaft will slide into it and seat. Look into the drive housing where the u-joint sits.. If it's flopped over and facing down or to one side, the output shaft will not slide all the way into the housing.. What I have done is fashion a wire coat hanger with a small"L" on one end, inserted it into the housing and lifted the joint up while sliding the output shaft into it.. Once the shaft just catches the splines on the yoke, gently pull the coat hangar out and finish pushing the drive shaft into the u-joint until it seats... This method is a little crude, but it works...

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Nice one Renegade. Very well worked out. I had this problem and gave up, ended up calling in a mechanic and he took ages before sorting it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

So the hammer's out then.

Yes, joint was flopping, found a length of 10mm rod and moved it to facing up. Replaced driveshaft and with a little coaxing it slid in.

Have now started bike on the stand and geared her up gently to ensure free movement.

Will put her on the raod tomorrow and hopefully all will be well.:D

Thanks

Steve

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Nice one Renegade, SteveKT owes you some mana at least. I've given you some as well, seeing as we can't buy you a pint.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Awwww... you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!:leprechaun:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.