Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Went to leave work yesterday & found rear end oil all over the tire/rim...looks like (ok, the drip IS) coming from the little hole at the bottom of the drive, with a nice stain around the actual unit itself. My guess is an inner oil seal let go (damn, but that 90W stuff stinks!).

Rather than mess with seals, I found a good used 83 unit (thanks again, Andy) & am just going to swap it out...anything else I should look at/do when I change out the drive? Straightwings already correctly reminded me to grease up the splines...

Thanks...Dave

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I can't help except to say what yer doing makes sense to me, daveman. Giving this a bump to see if a gearhead guru sees it andhas anything to add for you. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The important thing is to grease the spines with the right stuff. Moly Paste, 60% molybdenum content or better. You can get it from Honda or Loctite. Regular moly grease doesn't have enough moly content. It makes a big difference in the life of the splines to use the right lubricant.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Awesome, thanks!

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I just put a '99 final drive under my '88 1500. The only thing different was the plastic crud shield that covers between the lip of the wheel, and the diff. (The 1500 wheel was redesigned between '89 - '90)

You might just watch to make sure your 1100 wheel - new crud shield fit nicely. :)

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the tip! I did source another 83 drive (my 1100's an 83), Straightwings let me know the final drive gear ratio for that year was unique.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.