Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi everyone! thank's so much again for the help.
i have my rear wheel of the bike cleaning the old hard grease of. wonder if anyone know's a good grease to replace there, i think the manual mentioned high compresion, or high temp not sure.
any help is good help.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

honda recommends moly 60, but it comes at a price,

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Does anyone have a pic of Moly.
\Autozone doesnt know what I am talking about.
is that a bradn or just a type of grease.
What effects would all purpose auto grease have on this stuff, Will it break down?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Here you go. Not so high priced, you do have to get it at a Honda shop. Or you could go to Napa and get an equal one.
Pro Honda Moly 60 Paste

It is the little 3 once tubes that are so high priced.

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,169 Posts
imported post

It is a type of grease, has molybdenum in it. Which is used to maintain the greasy effect without drying out. Very useful for places that have a lot of stress on them, such as the spline drives of a drive shaft that cannot get the lubrication replaced during operation.

Normal thick grease will be beat off the mating surfaces and the splines will start to wear. You can find Moly 60 at NAPA and some other good auto parts stores. Honda dealers should stock it also. You don't need a huge quantity, so the smallest container you can buy will last you a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

I bought a large tube of the grease with a moly base from the local TSC store (Farm implement & related retailer)

The cost for a tube that will last the rest of my life?? About $6.00...:D

It's made by Valvoline Part# 504974 - Extreme Pressure & it exceeeds the Honda requirements.

or maybe not according to the next reply!!!:dude:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

kit, thats the exact same tube of grease i bought over here which cost me £10, i got a shock for the size of it, i bought a tub of moly grease for a fiver at the auto store, i then email to manufacter and ask what the % of moly was in the tub and they wrote back and told me that it contained only 2% moly, i went to the local honda dealer and they didnt stock it and was only bought in for the workshop, so i went to the yamy dealer, a friend of works there in the repair shop, i asked about moly 60, he went into the store and come out with a nice sized tub, chucked it at me, and said bring it back when youve finished with it,, so i assume he meant keep it, i could have kicked myself for paying that tenner in the first place

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

i got moly extreme pressure grease,actually found it in storage room alway's had it just didn't know it.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Hey guys take a look at this and let me know if this is ok. I will be replacing some items in the front wheel so that my speedo can start operating.
when i took the old stuff off the plastic gears were shot and the grease was everywhere except on the gears themselves.
I am thinking someone used a lithium or other type of grease which in turn caused premature wear.
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip...Detail/initialR,655384/shopping/selectZip.htm

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

thats extreme pressure grease, don't know how it would work in the gears of the speedo where it would be subjected to being flung off?.I would try some wheel bearing grease as it tends to cling better then thinner grease.,,

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I bought a tube of Moly 60 at a local Honda dealer last year. When I asked for it the guy behind the counter, (who's the owner and has been selling Honda's for a long time) didn't know what I wanted. After a short time a girl came out and said "I think I know what he wants" and came out with the small tube of Moly 60. He said,"what do you want that for? It's only used in watercraft."
I bought it anyway and saved the cardboard card so next time I can walk in there and say, "Give me this!":p

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

I was told by a marine engineer not to use Moly grease on outboard gear or anything that comes into contact with sea water as it reacted and caused severe corrosion. Don,t know how true it is as I never used it on the boat but do use the Moly 60 on my 1200 final drive, like ******* says it dear over here mine was about£10 also.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The dealer didn't have any Honda grease last time I went, but they did have some Polaris U-Joint grease. Has a high Moly content to it.

Polaris drive trains tend to get lots more wear and tear than the GL does...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

The reason to use a very high content moly grease on some key areas such as the rear drive, the drive shaft, the steering head bearings, and speedo gears is that the moly coats the parts and more or less stays put.

You can pull a drive shaft that has 100,000 miles on it and it will look completely dry but the gray/dark residue still on the splines is the moly. It stays put and does its job for a long, long time and is still there working even when it looks like there is not any grease on the part at all.

It is there, it will stay there, and it will do a super job. It does not melt and flow off with the body of the grease.

Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
That should be adequate for your speedo sender, actually any general purpose grease should do the job there. Moly grease isn't the same thing as moly paste. Moly grease typically has 3-5% molybdenum content while moly paste like Honda sells is 60% and Loctite moly paste is 65% moly. There's nothing else that works as well on the splines as moly paste, it's important to use the stuff on the drive line and driven wheel splines for long life. The stuff isn't cheap either a few years ago I paid $25 for an 8oz. can ofLoctite 51048.

Loctite 51048

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

so moly extreme pressure grease, good bad wat? mine is the grey thick paste like stick's very well.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Seems that I read that not only does moly grease stay put but that it is more waterproof than regular grease (maybe the waterproof thing is due to staying put). Last time I was at Walmart I saw a large tube of it for about $4. I am not sure it was Moly 60 but it said Moly grease.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The stuff you want for the splines is moly PASTE not what's sold as moly GREASE. Look on the container to see the amount of molybdenum in the stuff. If it's at least 60% that's good if much less it's not the best for the splines. The moly particles embed themselves in the surface of the metal so there's still lubricity once the oil or grease vehicle evaporates or is thrown off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.