Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

after a very relieving sound of a running engine my wing is almost on her way to the road! all thats left to do is sort out the rear wheel which is very stiff to move. making her very hard to push! does anyone know how best to sort this? i may have a sticky brake but im not sure yet, if thats the case how do i stop the caliper grasping the disc?

thanks Ali

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Make sure it's the rear caliper only: put it on the centerstand and in neutral, then try turning it by hand. Then distribute the weight so the rear tire is on the ground with the front wheel in the air, and see if the front is free. If it is only the rear tire sticking, I'd do this first, take off the leftside saddlebag cover, and use a small piece of wood and a hammer to gently 'bump' it free, (don't let the hammer hit the caliper, unless you're confident that you won't hit it hard enough to crack the metal).

If that doesn't help, then take off the entire leftside saddlebag, take off the rear caliper and take it apart and rebuild it. You'll need new seals for the pistons because if they're sticking, then they're probably chewed up from sticking to the dirt/grime/rust on the piston walls. Shine up the pistons with fine emory cloth(fine black sandpaper) clean up the fluid passages with compressed air, then put it back together with the new seals and bleed the system (one of your front wheel calipers is linked to the rear, I can't remember which side it is right now).

If your front calipers are sticking too, try the same thing on them...small piece of wood on the caliper, and bump the wood with a hammer to unstick them. If it doesn't work, then take them apart and rebuild them too. Now's a good time to replace brakepads if you need to. good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I had a sticky rear but it only seemed to be when pushing the bike backwards. I rebuild the rear brake and replaced the wheel bearing while at it before mounting an ME880. I had thought after buying the bike from a small local shop owner I had gotta a good deal but now after having to rebuild/replace a lot of items, even ones he said he'd done I think it was not so good.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I agree with Ram. Just give the caliper a whack with a soft mallet, if she frees up its probably the capliper piston having too tight a fit in its bore. I have found that if you carfully remove the pistons and seal. (by removing the pads and pump out piston untill it can be pulled out by hand) there is usualy crust behind the dust and piston seals in the groves. Dig all that gunk out, replace your seals and caliper piston, and it will now allow your piston to retract fully into the caliper's bore.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

What busmoss said. one other thing I've done is to spray some brake cleaner up into the caliper while rolling the wheel and it seemed to help until I could get it apart.,,,

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think the problem if you have dragging brakes especially with a bike that's been sitting a long time it's likely the caliper(s) have frozen in place. To function properly the calipers have to be free to move from side to side to even the pressure on both pads since there are pistons only on one side of the caliper. If the caliper is stuck and can't move the pressure on the side opposite the pistons can't be relieved and the brakes will drag.

The only lasting cure is to pull the caliper(s) and clean up the sliding parts of the caliper re-lube them with hi-temp grease. If you go to this much effort installing a caliper rebuild kit would be worth doing for future trouble free operation. After all those rubber parts are getting pretty old and tired.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks for the advice guys, i need new tires as it had sat for 3 yrs. i put her on the center stand to find out if both the wheels were stiff and it seems the back wheel is stiffer going backwards and the front is a little stiff too. I think i will be removing the pistons and giving them a good clean out and replace what need to be replaced. discs and pads look in good shape but i will look at the pads when i get them out and i may end up replacing them, any idea what the best tires are?

Ali

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.