Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I discovered a set of electronic deer alerts a the local shop the other day and was wondering if they might be more effective than the wind activated ones that we've talked about so much. So I came home and started to do a bit of investigation. Gotta love the internet. Found lots of anecdotal evidence for all types of deer alerts. And some rather good arguments for their ineffectiveness. The most compelling being that these devices have existed for over 20 years and yet the insurance companies don't insist on their use. If they really worked wouldn't they be standard equipment on every vehicle and insurance coverage dependent on their use?

But I did find one scientific study done in Australia for an electronic product advertised to scare off the kangaroos on the side of the road. Here's the product they tested:

http://www.shuroo.com/shuroo.php

And here are the results of the study, the first couple of pages summarizing the disappointing findings:

http://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/school/researchstaff/ramp/shuroofinal.pdf

It seems that these devices are ineffective for any animal. I would doubt that a deer reacts much differently than a kangaroo to a sound device.

It's unfortunate. I was hoping an electronic alert might show more promise than a wind activated alert. I have my own anecdotal evidence for the wind-activated ones being ineffective. The best results I've had in keeping the critters off the road is a short series of bursts from the horn that seem to send most deer running for the bush. But that's assuming you see them before they jump you.

Until they invent protective force fields I guess I'll just have to get the wife to ride with a shot gun resting on my shoulder ready to pick off any intruders into our private space. Anyone recommend a good set of ear plugs?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,707 Posts
imported post

Maybe a good set of air horns or a Klaxon for a submarine?

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

I always wondered if the sound of a deer in distress would scare them off. Of course then you might get attacked by wolves. The sound is sorta like a pig squeal andmore suited to other brands of motorcycles. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_-mqGWwqzM

I don't know if I would want to ride down the street sounding like that.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

A friend drove 30 miles to work thru deer country for over a decade. Never hut a single deer until she put deer alerts on her car. 6 months later it was totaled after hitting her third deer.:shock:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Instead of modifying our vehicles, we need to modify the deer!

I'm looking into a DNA modification, that will make deer act more like crows. Have you ever hit a crow with a car? Those birds really understand the dangers of a moving vehicle, and they have a terrific sense of distance and timing.

If deer can be modded to act like crows.... problem solved!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

If the dear is moving, if there is time/distance to startle it, it will usually stop in its tracks for a sec or two. When I drove truck, the jake worked wonders on the dear on the highway. Moose on the other hand are another story.

James

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I know that moose collisions are not that uncommon but it still amazes me that they do happen. Deer are like four-legged hummingbirds, flitting about unpredictably and with unusual speed. Moose, on the other hand, are the elephants of North America. Big beasts that move at a fraction of the speed of a deer. And not much frightens them either. As a matter of fact, just spend a bit of time in the bush with a hunter that is good at calling a moose and see who's frightened when one shows up!

And yet, we find ways to come together. I know of three people who have experienced some physically disabling injuries due to moose - car collisions. And I stopped by the crosses set up in the ditch to commemorate my former Captain and his wife who were killed when their Goldwing met a moose a few years ago.

Sure looking forward to Anon's DNA mod. Do you think you could develop a DNA mod for skunks, too?

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I have friends that swear by those wind activated ones. I have friends that are convinced they do not work. It seems to me they are one of those gimmicks like the electronicinsect machines. (not the ones that fry them up, but the ones that are supposed to keep them away) Before I got the new Wing that I have now I would have laughed at (as Deer do) the metric horns that were in any of my current or former rides. I was coming back from Arizona a couple of weeks ago and stopped to make a left into a driveway. There was a car to my right wanting to turn left in front of me. Well on so many occasions in years past I went to give him the ole' "meep meep" Roadrunner sound that I was expecting. What I was not ready for was the sound that erupted and nearly scared the crap out of me. :shock:I had no idea the new Wings had REAL horns !!! Sounded like an old Chevy I used to have.....but better. WOW! I like it. :clapper:Maybe my horn would stop a Deer in its tracks. I think it could, I think it might. We have lots of deer here in Idaho and I agree they bounce around like a Cat being chased by a Wolf. Of course maybe the DeerIS being chased by a Wolf.

What you need is MORE SAFETY CHROME. It will blind the Deermaking it freeze and not know where to go.

:dude:

AIR HORNS...........that sounds like fun.............don't they tax the battery to much?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

What is the effective hearing range of a Deer......

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Exactly.....

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

I use the electronic "Hornet" and have actually seen deer run from the roadside as i approach. Has the same effect on geese sitting in fields near the roadway. So far so good knock on wood. I live in northern WI with much of the speed beef around.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Whatever you find out about deer alerts certainly will not be the final word on the 'Deer Alerts' thread. Several have tried to drive stakes through the heart of that thread yet it still exists and extends its horrible drivel yet further into the world.
[sup]BTW driving a stake into its heart is counter productive... hard on monitors.[/sup]

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

I THINK THEY'RE GRRREEAAT [ oh yeah and they came with my bike and i don't want to mess up my paint ] :D:D:D:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::waving: SO THERE:p

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I like the idea of riding shotgun :DOh, and there is another good reason for Red:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

After 2 1/2 weeks ago I can say that deer alerts that the PO put on bike did not work. Deer came out of nowhere. Nailed it head on. Shot gun idea is fine with me. Open season to all and hunt them till they are gone. Never had much of an opinion on them before. But now that my wife is hurt and it may end up costing me thoudands of dollars.. I hate deers.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Lol.... All involved on the opposite end of the retail purchaser of "Deer Alerts" of any kind are probably laughing their A$$ off while heading to the bank.

If you can't hear it, how in the hell isa deer gonna hear it?

http://lutra.tamu.edu/klr/hearing.htm

The under-evolved perpetuation of this topic (not this thread) is ridiculous.
Power to the:? consumer... ... ...

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Captain

hey thanks for that link, I have been looking for something like this for a long time, but never was able to locate anything worthy of print.

This is worthy of print, and will utilize it with a couple of friends who think their "whistles" (which I refer to them as and it chaps their hide) work.

Oh........I see a winning bet coming my way, just has to be carefully placed.

he-he-he-he...

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

That report is totally erroneous. Wexy bought deer alerts and no Irish deer has failed to hear them. Of course he bought the most expensive ones. Everyone knows the cheap ones don't work. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I'm marketing a new product that works 100% better than deer alerts. Scientifically proven, easy to use, works on all vehicles and even your person! It's a highly consentrated Deer Repellent Spray. Once you get used to the smell.... no Deer or anything else will dare come anywhere close to you! Also works on Mosquitos, Bill collectors and perhaps even Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Sorry........ Cash sales only!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.