Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, 4 weeks and 1 day after I left for Calhoun, I reluctantlyrolled the "Ole Girl" in to where I call home. :crying:

I had a great ride/time, even though I had my fair share of rainy and cold travel days. Once I got somewhere that I was staying put for a day or two(like Calhoun), the weather was great. Once I was on the road, the weather Gods conspired against me for all but 7 days. In all, I put on 14,349 kilometers(8,917 miles) and have still not got my fill of riding! :D

I rode through both ends of the spectrum as far as temps were concerned. From 34*(Butte MT) to 82*(Ogallala NE) and never let it drag me down. I was a little concerned about running into snow/ice on the roads as I left Buttethis morning, but didn't encounter any of either, although there was still plenty of evidence of the2' dump of snow a week or so ago they gotthere. :snowman:I just ran 'smooth', in case there was some ice on the roads/bridges and stayed out of the 'truck ruts', where the water collects.

Other than needing a new front tire when I got to Ontario, I had one minor'mechanical' failure(wear n tear item really)and that was when my speedometer cable broke shortly after Iwent through Danville IN. That knocked out my cruise control(biggest inconvenience), along with the auto cancellation of my turn signals. I guessed my speed from the tach and encountered no other problems.

I hooked up with ponymanr(Roger)again, outside of St Joseph MO, where we 1st hooked upand he bought me a coffee. :waving:

Looking forward to riding to next year's event, where ever it is and hooking up with some of my new friends I meet at Calhoun and new ones that decided to make it to that one. All I can say, is that I had a blast, meeting quite a few members, but not as many as I would have liked. Great event. My humble thanks to Tom and his wife for doing such an outstanding job of hosting a wonderful event. :clapper::clapper::clapper::bowing:

PS. I got quite a surprise when I walked in my front door. Seems the tenants in the unitabove mehad a bit of a flood and my place was in disarray from the restoration company doing the repair work, that the manager let in and supervised their presence there. Might be a little while before the insurance company gives the 'go-a-head' :shock:

Cheers, Dusty

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear your safley home . Though with all the rain you have been thru I have to wonder if you still have " Dusty Boots " :cheeky1:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Sean and Mike! :waving:

I got my pictures up of my trip and a slide show of them can be viewed -
here.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

It's great to hear that you made it home safely Dusty. Lot's of miles but worth it all I'm sure.

I hope you visit with family in Ontario went as well as you'd hoped.

Now get back to work so that the mail will get delivered. :cooldevil:

Now I've gotta go and look at your pictures.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Beautiful pictures Ken. I didn't have a thing to do at home, I wish I had followed you up the Blue Ridge at least. We have a son that lives just outside of D.C. in Va, I could have stopped and visited him for a day or so then headed home.

Your Trip is one for the books!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

You could have come along, Roger. :baffled:

I ended up near Maggie Valley, the 1st night out from Calhoun. After stopping in to get gas at the Flying J truck stop(one of the few places around that had gas! :shock:) I headed north and cut over to Etowa and then Telico Plains, taking the Cherohala Skyway(Beautiful, scenic road!) to Robbinsville(near the southern start of the Tail of the Dragon) and continued on acrossuntil I picked up the start of the BRP, at Balsam NC, spending the 1st night at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, that Bagmaster told me about.

Here's a map of theroute I took.

I camped at markers D, E and G, grabbing a motel in Harrisburg, PA (F) to miss the rainstorm that was coming through. That's why I got off the BRP, just south of Roanoke VA, where the storm was forecast to be rather 'intense'. Besides, at that point, the BRP was loosing altitude and was becoming more 'farmland', than the southern sections. Maybe one day, I'll pick up where I bailed and finish it, along with Skyline Drive, in Shenandoah National Park. :cooldevil:

The drive up to Watkins Glen, from Harrisburg was a delight! When I woke up the next morning at Watkins Glen State Park, I heard a familiar sound that I listened to for quite a while, to make sure that what I was hearing was an elk. Never thought I'd hear one around there!Must have made its way north from the mountains of northern PA. :baffled:

I left Watkins Glen, under low, cloudy skies and before long, I ran into a heavy, constant downpour, lasting 4 hours. I ended up that night, in another motel room, in Gananoque, near Kingston, Ontario. The next day, I spent visiting my Aunt and Uncle in theHaliburton Highlands region, before meeting up with another bunch, from another Internet site, camping out at Algonquin PP and waking up to -3C temps. The next 13 days, I spent visiting my wife, family and friends, before heading out for home again and hooking up with you in Cameron MO. :cooldevil:

Hope we get the chance to hook up again, in the future, Roger. :goofygrin:

Cheers, Ken

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
imported post

Ken , thankyou for sharing the wonderful pictures . What a trip this must have been . I'll have to dream for now about seeing that much beautiful countryside in the future . We certainly have lots to see and enjoy on this continent .

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

realy enjoyed the pics. thanks-----

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
realy enjoyed the pics. thanks-----

Hey no problem Wayne!

Pleasure to meet you andthanks for the little sampling of the 'squeezins'. :coollep:

Mike, .... time to quit dreamin and start ridin! :cooldevil:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

wrongway wrote:
It's great to hear that you made it home safely Dusty. Lot's of miles but worth it all I'm sure.

I hope you visit with family in Ontario went as well as you'd hoped.

Now get back to work so that the mail will get delivered. :cooldevil:

Now I've gotta go and look at your pictures.

Greg
Thanks, Gregg. I had one of the best visits back home, ever! I don't look at it as a 'lot of miles', just a lot of great scenery that I enjoyed every second of. :bat:

I return to work on Monday( :p ), but I don't know at what capacity yet. The knee still isn't near 100% yet. :gunhead:

Cheers, Ken

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Great pics Dusty, That must have been a super ride. Thanks for sharing it all. It really lifts the spirit and makes one/me eager to get out and do another trip. And you can bet I will.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hey Dusty, what camera did you use? It looks like an SLR. Very nice shots and scenery too. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks Hawkeye! :waving:

It's just a Panasonic LZ10 that I got on sale a while back at Future Shop, for $249, in a kit package. Bought mainly for use from the bike's tank-bag.

I bought it for it's 1) compactness, 2) wide angle, 3) 5x optical zoom,4) uses only 2 AA batteries, instead of a proprietary battery, which I find don't last as long(experience through other digital cameras) Still getting the hang of this one, although one thing I'm not liking too much about it, is it's comparativelypoor focusing properties. Maybe I'm spoiled with my other camera(Canon S3 IS), but the photos aren't as sharp and as focused as the Canon. Always trade offs, as the Canon is quite a bit bigger/bulkier and doesn't fit in my tank-bag nearly as easily, so it requires more effort/time to get it out, thus by reducing the amount of photos you take. One thing I've learnt about cameras while backpacking, isif it's not handy and easy to get to hand, it doesn't come out nearlyas often. Same applies to biking trips.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
You could have come along, Roger. :baffled:

I ended up near Maggie Valley, the 1st night out from Calhoun. After stopping in to get gas at the Flying J truck stop(one of the few places around that had gas! :shock:) I headed north and cut over to Etowa and then Telico Plains, taking the Cherohala Skyway(Beautiful, scenic road!) to Robbinsville(near the southern start of the Tail of the Dragon) and continued on acrossuntil I picked up the start of the BRP, at Balsam NC, spending the 1st night at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground, that Bagmaster told me about.

Here's a map of theroute I took.

I camped at markers D, E and G, grabbing a motel in Harrisburg, PA (F) to miss the rainstorm that was coming through. That's why I got off the BRP, just south of Roanoke VA, where the storm was forecast to be rather 'intense'. Besides, at that point, the BRP was loosing altitude and was becoming more 'farmland', than the southern sections. Maybe one day, I'll pick up where I bailed and finish it, along with Skyline Drive, in Shenandoah National Park. :cooldevil:

The drive up to Watkins Glen, from Harrisburg was a delight! When I woke up the next morning at Watkins Glen State Park, I heard a familiar sound that I listened to for quite a while, to make sure that what I was hearing was an elk. Never thought I'd hear one around there!Must have made its way north from the mountains of northern PA. :baffled:

I left Watkins Glen, under low, cloudy skies and before long, I ran into a heavy, constant downpour, lasting 4 hours. I ended up that night, in another motel room, in Gananoque, near Kingston, Ontario. The next day, I spent visiting my Aunt and Uncle in theHaliburton Highlands region, before meeting up with another bunch, from another Internet site, camping out at Algonquin PP and waking up to -3C temps. The next 13 days, I spent visiting my wife, family and friends, before heading out for home again and hooking up with you in Cameron MO. :cooldevil:

Hope we get the chance to hook up again, in the future, Roger. :goofygrin:

Cheers, Ken
It is going to be one of those things you don't do and end up regretting it for ever. Looking at your route, you came within 35 or 40 miles of where our son lives in Va.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I'm glad you got home safe and sound. It was a pleasure meeting you at Calhoun. I tip my hat to you and the trip you made. :cooler:

Sure makes me want to get out on the wing and head off to roads untraveled.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
...................................Sure makes me want to get out on the wing and head off to roads untraveled.
Well, you did vote for Durango ..... didn't ya, huh? (American saying I learnt at Calhoun from my brothers/sisters from below the border!) :cooldevil: :D

I'd be pleased as heck, to meet you and NANcy again this coming rally ........ hopefullyout west ;)

Cheers, Ken

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Ken! Awesome Pictures!!!!! It was a pleasure to meet you in Calhoun...........Glad you made it home OK! :jumper:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

ponymanr wrote:
It is going to be one of those things you don't do and end up regretting it for ever. Looking at your route, you came within 35 or 40 miles of where our son lives in Va.

And just think Rodge ..... you were just getting saddle broke too :shock: :headbanger:

Not to worry though Rodger. Lord willing, we can do some exploring together, the next time the event is in the east. There will be far less Interstate miles and more two laners, with little towns, and easier to obtain fuel! :coollep: Little college towns. Mom and Pop restaurants/motels/campgrounds. I'll be on no real time schedule and you're more than welcome to join me.

Same if you decide to GO WEST! - young man
I didn't get a good chance to see a few things on the way to Calhoun this year. Namely the Black Hills and the surrounding area of Sturgis , Id like to check out, on the way back east. We'd part ... at the most, a day and 1/2 ride from your place, depending on my entry point into canada

Cheers, Dusty ;)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Ken! Awesome Pictures!!!!! It was a pleasure to meet you in Calhoun...........Glad you made it home OK! :jumper:
No .... the pleasure was all mine, Bill!! ...... all mine!

Hope to hook up with you in the near future. :goofygrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.