Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, so I was reading through my clymer manual, and I came across something that I thought I'd share. (By the way, yes, I do READ my service manuals... I keep them in the bathroom when I'm not using them.)

Anyhow, class turn your books to page 57 in the First edition, sixth printing. Heading "Tappet Noise".

For those of you who forgot to bring your books to class, here is the synopsis:

If you are getting tappet noise, the exhaust rocker arm shaft center collar clearence may be off. Honda claims that the clearence between both exhaust rockers and the center coller must be exactly equal, otherwise the tappets will not behave properly, and won't be able to maintian a zero clearence.

Procedure to fix:

Remove the cover from the side that is making the noise. (The 4 allen bolts.)

Check the clearance between the exhaust rockers and the center collar. On 1984 and 1985 bikes, the clearence should be .10 mm. Use 2 feeler guages, so you can check the clearence on both at the same time. (This is important.) On 1986 and 1987 this clearence is between .30 and .35mm.

If the spacing is not correct (one side has more clearence than the other) do the following:

Loosen the "center lower bolt" on the camshaft holder.This is the bolt that is directly above and in the center of the exhaust rocker arms. Adjust the center coller to bring it into specifications, and then re-torque the center bolt to 25 NM / 18 FtLbs. while keeping the feeler guages in place.

If you need more information,look in the clymer manual, in the engine section.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I thought everyone knew that!!! :rollingeyes:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Will There be a test on this, /forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies2/whinger.gifAfter Class ?   ??   /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif 'Does it count " ???? LOLOLOLOL Silverdave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

But did it work?

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I am waiting for the verdict before I get out my feeler guages. Besides, SilverDave says that I can use ATF in the oil to help valve clatter.--HUH.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'll be doing that next weekend. I'll let you all know what happens. Looks like it should be a 10 minute deal. A little oil spillage, and possibly some liquid gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Just did some reading in my Haynes manual, and in the specs, it gives the clearance for the 84-85center collar on the exhaust side as 0.10 mm, and in the text, it says that the collar must be installed so as to be sticking into the rocker cavities an equal amount. That bolt you speak of( one of the hold down bolts for the camshaft holder) actually fits right thru the collar so there must be a very slight oversizeto the hole in the collar to allow a bit of sideways movement in the collar. Only thing that troubles me a little with that procedure of loosening the corresponding bolt enough to move the collar, is possible warp to the holder due to totally loosening only one bolt. It is supposed to be a sequencial torquing or untorquing. And what happens if I find that the clearance is more or less than spec on BOTH rockers. The write up assumes that if one is less, the other will be more. I guess you go for "equal"

I am going to check it though and hope it is way out because I have some clatter.

I would tend to think that the clatter would be caused more by the hydraulic lash adjustment--driving us right back to MMO

Just me smoking my brain a bit.

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Would you happen to know if this holds true for a 81 gl1100 I have ajusted the valves a few different time thinking I had valve clatter but still after the bike is ridden for 30 min. at hyway speed I still am hearing what sounds like valve clatter

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Well, Hawker... What I meant to say was... the tiny amount of Valve clatter that MY 1200 had ... was cured completely by  one quart of MMO, and 300 miles, and  New oil, and filter..../forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif.... and...... Many  riders on the GWRRA site  have told me that the   rather pricey MMO is nothing but ATF fluid, with Euclyptus oil, and menthalatum   and stuff/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif to make the user happy..... so ....  I was extrapolating from that ... and for 200 miles, of gentle mixing of oils, ATF will not do much damage, and if it cleans out the valve  channels... then Voila !!! SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi,

My jug of MMO says....since 1923.....automatic trannys were not avalable then. So,

it can't be ATF despite what the matching satin jacket crowd says. :p. Not only that but it doesn't smell or taste the same:baffled:. So why is it red??

TOJ

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Red dye?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi,

Well, I took the valve cover off on theleft side and check the clearance. It seemed fine....but a big fat O-ring fell out from somewhere. I don't know it it was in the engine or on it. Anyways, I buttoned it up and went riding.

Then I decided to check the right head. No O-ring this time. finally figgerd it out, used a small screwdriver wedged it between the rocker arm and center collar. .004 feeler gage fits on both sides. Button that side up, that head is quiet now. I will do the other head again. Ain't the first time I ever had to do a job over......:baffled:

TOJ

·
Registered
462 Posts
imported post

I`m not sure if my valve chatter is the same as the above mentioned..I only get it on occasion,usually when downshifting and coming to a stop.I dont have it when I idle the bike or even at any one consistent occurence,but sometimes it`ll chatter loud for 15 seconds and stop.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

TOJ wrote:
Hi,

Well, I took the valve cover off on theleft side and check the clearance. It seemed fine....but a big fat O-ring fell out from somewhere. I don't know it it was in the engine or on it. Anyways, I buttoned it up and went riding.

Then I decided to check the right head. No O-ring this time. finally figgerd it out, used a small screwdriver wedged it between the rocker arm and center collar. .004 feeler gage fits on both sides. Button that side up, that head is quiet now. I will do the other head again. Ain't the first time I ever had to do a job over......:baffled:

TOJ

How large is that O ring, and is it round or contoured in cross section. I was lucky enough to get a look at all this stuff yesterday as I visited a local wrencher( a super guy). That O ring may supposed to be under the oil distribution plate. I had a bit of a hard time grasping everything you said, did you wedge the o ring in with a small screw driver-don't think it goes there. Just try to explain what you did again. Thanks

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi Hawker22

The O-ring is about 1/8 thick, and 1 1/8th in inside dia.

I used the screwdriver between the rocker arm and the center collar after loosining the bolt. On both heads there was no clearance on one side, feeler gage would not fit.

one can see the edge of the center collar if it isn't centered.

I just finished left side again, going to install the valve cover and see how it is.

TOJ

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

OK, I got ya. I would be a bit worried where that O ring came from though. When you first saw it, was it oily or dry?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi Hawker22,

Hmmmmmmmmm, I think oily, but there was some oil on the floor, and my hands were oily:baffled:. I looked in my Chilton book, don't see it anywhere. However, The bike is running good:12blue:. Might be a little quieter.

TOJ

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I took alook at my exhaust rocker collers today, and they were both quite assymetrical, with no clearance on one side of each one. I centered them and got the required .004" feeler guages inserted and retorqued the holder bolts and then buttoned it all back together. On the test run, they were nice and quiet on warm up and were probably a bit quieter overall. I am happy that I did it.

But it seems to NOT be the final answer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.