Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

First of all, I'd like to thanka distinguished member and fellow riderAndyB forpointing me in the right direction. His post sparked my interest, and his advise did the rest. Thanks Bro!

Now, on to the install.LikeAndyB, I decided to upgrade the entire assembly, instead of the bulb, which called for the Sylvania Silverstar H6024-ST. The Silverstar listed for $30 (incl shipping) on Ebay, Autozone had itfor $24.99,so I elected to purchase it from O'Reilly's for $21.99.During the install, I noticed that the headlight adjuster or aim knob's phillips screw head was stripped. I did manage to remove the screw, and replaced it with a new one. Other than that, the install went without a hitch, and I'm enjoying the new headlight.As you can see, the stock H4 was hazy and would notclean up enough to really be seen. Safety is #1. Anyway, as you can clearly see, the upgraded headlightwas definately worth it.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the shout out. Have you had a chance to ride it at night yet?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

AndyB wrote:
Thanks for the shout out. Have you had a chance to ride it at night yet?
Hey Andy! Yea, I took her out about an hour ago. After some minor adjustments, everything was great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

strongfellow wrote:
wonder if that bulb would swap out w/ 1985 ltd 1200?
I'm not sure. Remember, this is the headlight assembly, not the bulb. However, I'm sure there's a Silverstar bulb (only) for the 1200. Also, I think the bulb alone is cheaper and definately easier to install. Give it a try.....

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

When you say "headlight assembly"... are you referring to a sealed beam light? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

D. Green wrote:
When you say "headlight assembly"... are you referring to a sealed beam light? Just curious.
Exactly. The sealed headlight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

strongfellow wrote:
wonder if that bulb would swap out w/ 1985 ltd 1200?
no, the assembly won't go in an '85. You want to find a brighter bulb to place in the stock assembly. Like William said, try looking for a xenon bulb.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I have the same thing that Bozack0 put in his bike. It is a huge improvement over the stock headlight bucket due to age/corrosion. I am very happy with it but I am a bit concerned about it going out someplace where I can't find a replacement. When I do replace it, I think I will look for a new 7" bucket so I can just replace the bulb in the future.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I also replaced my factory headlight with the Silverstar sealed beam; I figured I'd benefit from a 30 year newer design and it was rather inexpensive to boot.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Not seen this before. Maybe I just missed this post.

I got a silver star bulb for my 1980 when on holiday in USA from walmart. Best dollars I spent over there!

Cannot find silverstars in the UK for this bike at the moment.

It's a long way to get a new bulb when it goes but Hey I could go to see mickey at the same time!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.