Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I finally pulled my frontforks off, drained them, and put some of Mother Honda's 10 Weight Fork Oll in both. Was a job with no spring compressor. Had toholdwith one hand on the top, and twist the bottom. Very difficult! Put in 7.5 oz. Went 1 oz over, because I did not take them completely apart. Sprayed for leaks, none found. Hopefully, After changing the Handlebars, I will have a smoothe ride. Did ride like a truck, because of old fluid. Rear holding ok also. Question, Can you put Fork Oil in the rear? Does it take it?

Wish Me luck.

Nightrider1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yes, Yes..The problem is getting the old oil out so you can know how much is in there after you finish. Pull them, take off air valve hang upside down for a day..drain all the oil..use a syringe to inject slowly the appropriate amount of oil..I think that's the basics of it..
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

Not sure I understand if you are over full or not.. but becertain of theoil quantity asoverfull is not good.. it will greatly overpressure the seals potentially causing leaks... overfilling is even a worse condition than just overpressurizing (with air) as the extra oil reduces the volume of the air cushion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Jim,
Very True. I got some scles, and weighed it, rhen poured in my fork oil, 4 ozfirst, then the est. I wanted to get thee sam amount in both. it sid if you tore them apart completely to add 8 oz but I tried to get as close to 7.4 as close as possible. Rides much better now, and no pulling in either direction.
Nightrider1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

RB,

It says to put 12.5 oz. ATF fluid in the rear shocks.What kind? Mother Hond'a's is over $16.00 per 32oz, 10 wt,whichI put in the front. What would you recommend? What or any specfic weight? Honda's fork oil is to dang expensive. Also, is there any kind of safe cleaner you can put in then and shake them up to make the old fluid run out faster?

Thanks,

Nightrider1

RB wrote:

Yes, Yes..The problem is getting the old oil out so you can know how much is in there after you finish. Pull them, take off air valve hang upside down for a day..drain all the oil..use a syringe to inject slowly the appropriate amount of oil..I think that's the basics of it..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
185 Posts
imported post

Fork oil is measured in FLUID OZs---Not by weight--I don't understand how you got the correct amount in those forks--or am I missing something??????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
imported post

A while back I changed my fork oil and it was easier then I thought. I pulled the drain plugs, pumped the forks till nothing else came out. I couldn't tell what it was maybe original fluid. Then I bought some $1.99 auto trans fluid, poured some in each tube ,then pumped that out til it came out clean, then filled with 9 oz's in each tube. I made a fork cap installer from an old shovel handle. Just notched it out till it fit snuggly over the end. worked like a charm took 10 seconds to install the caps.As far as the rear shocks go, heres a site with some info how to change the fluid, http://www.kichline.com/chuck/GoldWing/shocks/default.htm
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1 wrote:
Jim,
Very True. I got some scles, and weighed it, rhen poured in my fork oil, 4 ozfirst, then the est. I wanted to get thee sam amount in both. it sid if you tore them apart completely to add 8 oz but I tried to get as close to 7.4 as close as possible. Rides much better now, and no pulling in either direction.
Nightrider1
The 7.4 ounces is by volume not weight. You should use measuring cup (or similar measuring vial) not scales. 7.4 ounces by volume would weigh about 6 ounces by the scale... You probably have more oil in the forks than is called for. If this is the case, you need to take some out (which probably means starting over).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Jim,

I read in the clymer manual that it took 8 oz, 9Completely broken down) but my manual said 7.4, and I tried to get both as close as possible. Such a big difference, it's amazing.

Noightrider1

sandiegobrass wrote:
Not sure I understand if you are over full or not.. but becertain of theoil quantity asoverfull is not good.. it will greatly overpressure the seals potentially causing leaks... overfilling is even a worse condition than just overpressurizing (with air) as the extra oil reduces the volume of the air cushion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks BC,

I appreciate the info!

Nightrider1

Big Cahuna wrote:
A while back I changed my fork oil and it was easier then I thought. I pulled the drain plugs, pumped the forks till nothing else came out. I couldn't tell what it was maybe original fluid. Then I bought some $1.99 auto trans fluid, poured some in each tube ,then pumped that out til it came out clean, then filled with 9 oz's in each tube. I made a fork cap installer from an old shovel handle. Just notched it out till it fit snuggly over the end. worked like a charm took 10 seconds to install the caps.As far as the rear shocks go, heres a site with some info how to change the fluid, http://www.kichline.com/chuck/GoldWing/shocks/default.htm
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

David... you have overlooked the posts about weight and volume... you still need to confirm whether you are using ounces of volume or ounces of weight.... volume, not weight is correct....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

oinoyou, (Straighting this out)

The fork oil only comes in32 oz markedbottles. I had a gram scale that went up to 6 oz, also measured in 3 other weights. I also went by the bottle and also checked it. Also, I had a cup that weighs.8 fluid oz. First measured exactly 4 fluid oz, which weighed 4.8oz, with 1 oz increments. Cleaned container, put in 3oz, (then got as close to .4 as close as posssible. With the container weighing .8 oz, I filled it to a total of 1.2 oz. (4 fluid oz topped off) (Simple math) I also compared itto Honda's marked fork oil container to make sure I was getting close as possible. I nearly used 1/2 of the Fork Oilin Mother Honda's container on my 1st fork. But I do see what you mean by it. 7.4 x 2 = 14.8 leaviing 1.2 oz, but I had about 1oz. left over. But anyway, I went mostlyby Honda's Bottle.

I used to be a perfectionist when I was young, but now, I realize that nothing is perfect, so you have to get it as close as possible. The only thing we as a layman must be perfect on is the belts, coolant, battery, air pressure, and oil and make sure we go over the daily preride checklist. This is something I practice before I ride every time, especially the air pressure in the tires, because the cold air vs warm air is critical. I usually dothe air pressure in my tires every other day in the winter if I plan to ride.

Nightrider1





Fork oil is measured in FLUID OZs---Not by weight--I don't understand how you got the correct amount in those forks--or am I missing something??????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Guys,

Moher Homda's bottles ofHonda's fork oil also has measurements on the bttle, but I got it correct. 7.4 to within + .5 to 1.There was about 1oz leftover in the cup. It's just simple Math. If I took an identical bottle that was empty, and poured half in each, there would be 8 fluid oz in each. You can also measure fluid oz by scales to make sure it is correct if you have the correct scales.

Nightrider1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Jim,

Thats why I confirmed when I first marked the 16 ox plastic bottle of the 10wt. fork oil. I'm certaiin I have them within at least .5 oz ea. I do not like to blow seals. That would be as bad as using compressed air to fill the shocks.

What gets me s the rear, when I take them off to drain them. I could pump out the front forks, until I got a sputter, wait a few minutes, and do it again, then let it drain some. 12.8 oz ea. in the rear shocks seems like a lot, but considering the weight being carried, it's logical.I am not looking foward to pulling these. But I have to. My question is, what is the best weight of ATF to use in the rear shocks ea? What brand? etc..

Thank You,

Sincerely,

David


sandiegobrass wrote:
David... you have overlooked the posts about weight and volume... you still need to confirm whether you are using ounces of volume or ounces of weight.... volume, not weight is correct....
 

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
Joined
·
4,513 Posts
imported post

If you took the 16 oz bottle (which is fluid ounces) and divided it for the forks (with 1 oz left over) you are okay...

but you are still not understanding the issue.. only when measuring water is 1 ounce of volume (fluid ounces) the same as 1 ounce of weight (by the scales). Water has a specific gravity of 1.0 Oil has specific gravity of about 0.8.... then 1 fluid ounce of oil would be 0.8 ounces of weight..

The bottom line is: Don't use scales to measure the oil for you forks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Jim,

I got it right, because out of a 16 ox bottle of 10wt fork oil, I only had about 1.5 oz left, so thats gonna be close to 7.4 to 7,5 oz. in each fork.Close as possible. I appreciate your concern though.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

David

ndiegobrass wrote:
David... you have overlooked the posts about weight and volume... you still need to confirm whether you are using ounces of volume or ounces of weight.... volume, not weight is correct....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Jim,

That is true. If you took the 16 oz bottle (which is fluid ounces) and divided it for the forks (with 1 oz left over) you are okay...

but you are still not understanding the issue.. only when measuring water is 1 ounce of volume (fluid ounces) the same as 1 ounce of weight (by the scales). Water has a specific gravity of 1.0 Oil has specific gravity of about 0.8.... then 1 fluid ounce of oil would be 0.8 ounces of weight..

The bottom line is: Don't use scales to measure the oil for you forks.


This is simple. I used 7.4 oz in each fork. The Fork Oil was Mother Honda's 10WT fork oil. Mabye thats where the misunderstading is. When I change my oil, it calls for 3.4 Qts, even with a new filter.
What I need to know is about my REAR shocks. I need to know what kind of ATF Fluid is best to use in my shocks. My Manual calls for 12.8 oz. Which proudct is best?
Thanks,
David
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I went out and double checked the leftover today. I got it correct.
Nightrider1
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top