Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi, What is the best way to get the valve train in sync with TDC #1 they are out correct rotation?

Heads had to be pulled, camshafts rotated, but the crankshaft was not at TDC on #1 cylinder on the compression stoke. Need to align the timing back.

Shawn (North Carolina)
Thanks.

Some projects take longer than others.....

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

I would suggest getting a manual, and starting from square 1. May require the heads be pulled again to avoid valve damage when aligning the timing marks on the top of the engine.(T/F1) Align the cam-shafts/timing gears statically before installation of the heads. Take your time and double-check everything.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

A manual is a must for this type work. You can unbolt the cams from the heads and rotate them to within a few degrees of TDC then tighten back down and finalize the alignment. If you have spun the engine with the valves out of timing, then go ahead and pull it back down because there are some bent valves to be replaced.

·
Administrator
27,005 Posts
imported post

Rotate the crank 45 degrees off TDC, turn the cams to get the up marks up and the marks aligned, turn the drank back up to TDC and install the belts.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

dave he's not drankin:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: but yeah what dave said you only have to worry abut hitting valves get them out of the way and do what you want, belts need to be removed first

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies. Is the T1 mark (aligned with block mark) is it always on the compression stroke for cylinder 1? I want to make sure I am on the compression stroke and than line up the valve train accordingly. Thanks again for the info. I do have a book or books. Just clearly up some confusion on my part.
Happy riding.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Short answer is no... it could also be on the exhaust stroke :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Next question - what is the method to determine the compression stoke? I the heads are currently off of the engine.

·
Administrator
27,005 Posts
imported post

The compression stroke is determined by the cams, not the crank. If the #1 is on TDC it can be on either top compression or top exhaust stroke depending on where the cam is. Just put the cam pulleys in the up position and bolt the heads on. The right cam will spring forward but don't worry about it until you put the belts on.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

In an engine, you have intake, compression, power. and exaust. It is difficult to find out which one it is on like this with the heads off though, but not impossible. You must make sure the block is completely clean.
IF you have big hands to cover the #1 Piston, or a piece of sticky paper, put your hand or paper over it and rotate the generator. If it builds up like trying to push your hand/paper away, you are coming up to the compression stroke. Then make sure the piston is as far out as possible. Check and see if you are on the T1 Mark, and install your heads. Sounds crazy, but it will work.
Good Luck,
David

Here is a link to timing belt fitting, shows how to set the timing marks:

Replacing Timing Belts on a GL1200

·
Administrator
27,005 Posts
imported post

Nightrider1, the piston will create pressure every time it comes up. All they do is go up and down. It has no idea which stroke it's on unless the valves are working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.