Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey guys, I finally got around to looking for the place that does plastic molding locally. Not to sure what town/city as all the ad has is a phone number and web site. Here goes. Digital Design, Inc.
218-751-7276. [email protected], www.ddiplastics.com. hope this helps someone out. Interesting looking dash panel. I recall seeing one when I went to Wing Ding in Billings summer of 2000.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I've submitted my pristine, original panel to a "mold-maker" to reproduce this panel. There will be minor modifications from the original but "cosmetically" it will be an "identical twin".

The first batch is a small number of panels, partly due to the initial cost to get this project off the ground, AND my desire to get some available to the interested riders by Christmas time. IT'LL BE A GREAT "GIFT" TO SPRUCE UP THE APPEARANCE OF THE "OL GIRL"!!

I've been reassured that the quality and craftsmanship will match the original panel, , ,time will tell.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN BEING NOTIFIED WHEN THESE PANELS BECOME AVAILABLE SHOULD PM ME TO BE PUT ON THE "LIST" TO CONTACT.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've submitted my pristine, original panel to a "mold-maker" to reproduce this panel. There will be minor modifications from the original but "cosmetically" it will be an "identical twin".

The first batch is a small number of panels, partly due to the initial cost to get this project off the ground, AND my desire to get some available to the interested riders by Christmas time. IT'LL BE A GREAT "GIFT" TO SPRUCE UP THE APPEARANCE OF THE "OL GIRL"!!

I've been reassured that the quality and craftsmanship will match the original panel, , ,time will tell.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN BEING NOTIFIED WHEN THESE PANELS BECOME AVAILABLE SHOULD PM ME TO BE PUT ON THE "LIST" TO CONTACT.

I just pm'd you too put me on the list of contacts for the panel

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I just got an email from the vendor!!!

He was only able to produce and ship about 60% of the original number of panels that I paid for. I saw pictures of them and THEY LOOK GREAT!!! They are scheduled (UPS) to arrive Christmas Eve (12/24/18). I am really disappointed I couldn't get the total number of panels expected, AND have them available for Xmas "presents" for the 1500's. Sorry guys, , , I tried my best, but this was the best the vendor (and I) could do.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
UPS delivered the panels to my door on Saturday 12/22/18 about 1 pm. All of the members who paid, had their panels shipped out (USPS) by 5 pm on Saturday 12/22/18. USPS estimated delivery by 12/26/18 BUT, , I was happy to learn that all of the panels were delivered on MONDAY 12/24/18, , , ,Just in time for wrapping to go on and stuffed under the tree for Christmas morning!!!!! Two-Thumbs-Up for the US Postal Service!!!! They made me look good by delivering the panels by Xmas as I had hoped.

There have been times when my mouth "wrote checks" my azz couldn't cash, but this wasn't one of 'em. . . GOOD JOB Mr. Postman

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I had a few "International" members interested in the panel but I was hesitant to do international shipping due to the customs ppwk, declaration docs, and any "tariffs". I decided to put on my "big-girl" panties and "LEARN" how to do the International shipping, , , , ,Happily I'm no longer an "International shipping" virgin!! (It was easier than I originally thought)

IF AN INTERNATIONAL MEMBER NEEDS/WANTS A PANEL, , ,LET ME KNOW WITH A PM!! The shipping costs/fees will be more than domestic rates, but I think I have a handle on it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Received the panel last week or so. Very nice unit. Have to look at changing the colour to match the bike, but that's a small work issue. Have been deciding on what to install on the panel considering I was gifted a set of switches from an 1800. These switches fit on the clutch and brake MC and have 3 switches in each. My initial thoughts are a USB connection, voltmeter, outside temp gauge, and a heated clothing plug. Will use one of the switch units for driving lights, etc. Will place gauges so that I have a bit of room for additional installs down the road. Cheers

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Rednaxs60,

Does the '95 SE have a Grey(Cosmopolitan Grey), or is that a Reddish (Tuscany Red) colored Center shelter? I can provide the Color-rite color code if you need. It'll be the "ORIGINAL" color code, but due to weathering, cleansers, and sun-fade, it'll be slightly different than the TRUE color of your shelter "NOW". It should be close but not an exact match.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Good site, but watch out for "mistakes"/"typo's". Check out multiple resources for the correct color code. Checking the '95 SE center shelter, fuel door, and ignition panel on 3 different parts sites, seems to consistently show "Cosmopolitan Gray" as color code NH159L, and "Tuscany Red" as R200. (A "base" color might be needed also)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Had a look on line - typed in the colour code - and it appears to be the same as what is on my bike. There should be an indication of the colour code on the bike plastics somewhere.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Sounds like you'll have that color matched in no time, glad to hear it. NOW, , ,the hard part, , , what're ya gonna put on that panel, and we're dying to see what it looks like after you mount it.

Ride safe

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have been thinking about what to put in the new panel. I am thinking a voltmeter, USB connector, a heated clothing connector, and an outside temp gauge. Trying to stay with the one inch gauge/connector style. I was given two switch units (see attached) that fit onto the brake and clutch MCs so I don't have to install any switches, although when I get to the panel install (will be before June 26 because the bike is going north to Yukon/Alaska - four week trip) may change my mind on the switches as well.

I will be putting a fuse holder under the panel for the electronics. It's very compact and good for splitting a 15 amp circuit to suit lesser amp requirements. The last one I used I purchased from Eastern Beaver in Japan - expat Canadian. He has some very good products. See attached.

The electronics that will be on the bike for the trip north are cell phone - who leaves home without it, an inReach Explorer sat tracker - older model but new still in box for safety issues, lots of no cell phone coverage as you go north, and a Garmin GPS. May also have a car GPS on the back for Sonya to use so she feels more engaged in the trip as well.

The sat tracker will also come in handy around home and on Vancouver Island as there are lots of places that we ride that have no cell phone coverage. Our family and friends will be able to see our trip progress by logging into the Garmin site. Only have to use it once to pay for itself.

The Delorme Explorer is a nice little unit, was $200.00 CDN less than new Garmin Explorer plus and will do everything I want it to. Nice little unit, set it up last night. Had to purchase a monthly plan to set it up and activate the unit, but can suspend the service until I need it. This first month will allow me to use the unit and get used to it. Only negative issue with this sat tracker is the SOS function has been known to be inadvertently set off. Knowing this will safeguard against it.

This install will be done in conjunction with install of an auxiliary fuse block and some electrical wiring to suit my eccentric behavior.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,940 Posts
I have read many comments about how costly it is to inadvertently set off the 911 SOS function on our Sat Trackers....

you WILL get a bill for Services Rendered, if the situation is not valid.

Fortunately, for most devices, that button is hard to active accidentally.

I like the additional features of the InReach above what my Basic SPOT Gen II can do.
for me, just being able to touch a button and give my family a one shot notice of where I have stopped, is good enough.... typically my cellphone will have coverage anywhere that I stop for lunch, or the night.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269#specs

InReach specs

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Sending Current Location

for me, just being able to touch a button and give my family a one shot notice of where I have stopped, is good enough.... typically my cellphone will have coverage anywhere that I stop for lunch, or the night.
To let my family know where I am, I use a Family Locator - GPS Tracker APP called Life360. Reasonable annual cost ($24.99 a year) and it is always on and at your finger tips as long as you have your phone, which everyone does it seems. As long as the phone is on and the battery is good, It tracks your phone.

I have one of the Firecreek Ignition covers I purchased on Ebay for $30 but have not installed it on my GL1500. I have my Garmin GPS mounted in that position so there is nowhere to install accessory gauges in that area. The first pic is of my old Street Pilot before I installed the Garmin 1490 in a waterproof zipper case. Here I was on Mt Evans in Colorado. Notice the Altitude.

Attachments

41 - 59 of 59 Posts