Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

there's a thread about sport bikes riding a strip called tail of the dragon or something like that. One of the guys on that thread mentions his and has a picture of his bike with it on plus this link

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks interesting but I was wondering if you'd get more water into the instrument panel in the rain. It's a similar idea to the electric windscreen on the BMW.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Looks pretty cool, but $675 for the electric version!:shock: Oh well, they don't make them for the 1200 anyway.:(

John

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

exavid, the windscreen on my v-strom is mounted away from the cowling by about and inch or a little more. i get no water coming under the screen for some reason. you would think that water would come up the back side of the screen but it does not????? riding in the down pour trip last spring nothing got wet behind the screen except what would be normal run off from the around the edges of the screen. something to note about this gap under the screen........ even though the screen is much smaller then the wing screen i get no buffeting and no wind slapping me in the back accross the shoulders like i do on the wing..... even with the new tulsa extra tall i get this wind on the back. maybe i need to add the vent in the screen that tulsa has for sale as an option:p i will post pics of the v-strom screen if you want to have a looksee.

cyclepath

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I wondered because in heavy rain I get water bubbling up behind my windshield where it contacts the rubber pad. I don't get much buffeting and I've got my windshield cut down to 20" height. I like the idea of having the minimal windshield that gives good protection. I have a vent for my screen but haven't installed it, I should go put it in but have been hesitating in case I don't like it after it's in. Kind of hard to convince myself to cut a hole in my nice Cee Bailey windshield.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

I've always ridden with the vent open to minimize the buffeting caused by low pressure behind the screen.
I'd like to hear a couple of testimonials before spending that sort of cash...

·
Registered
515 Posts
imported post

I've got the manual version on my GL1500 last spring and have been pleased. Good quality. The slide arrangement for raise/lower held up fine in the worst gusty winds I ever expereinced last summer in ND. No problem with water on gauges and I ride with a low setting looking over. Recommended.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

cldryder wrote:
I've got the manual version on my GL1500 last spring and have been pleased. Good quality. The slide arrangement for raise/lower held up fine in the worst gusty winds I ever expereinced last summer in ND. No problem with water on gauges and I ride with a low setting looking over. Recommended.
hi cld, got a couple of questions for ya if you don't mind. first off i am 6'2" tall with a 32 inch inseam. long torso, neck and head:shock: anyway that is why i bought the tulsa extra tall. it did eliminate the buffetting on the head but i am still getting slapped accross the back in the shoulder area by the wind. one of the reasons i bought the tulsa was to keep my pillion rider from getting her head buffeted around and now i am not sure this screen will help. she hasn't been on the bike yet since i changed the screen but i am still getting it in the back as with the old stock screen. how does yours work as far as wind turbulence goes:baffled:

cyclepath

·
Registered
515 Posts
imported post

Mine has been quite effective in eliminating buffeting unless it's a gusting cross wind.
Rode 2200 mile trip last year with my daughter and she never complained about it except for the 2 horrible days crossing the dakota's in 40-50 mph crosswinds. I've never noticed any buffeting head or back.

I'm 5'8" and I bought the shortest version of the firecreek so I assume the tallest version would give someone your height adequate protection. There is some info on their website that helps you decide what height to order. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
imported post

I don't know the brand of the windscreen on my 1500, but it measures 29" tall when fully lowered. It has a slow reverse curve (towards the front) starting about 20" and turns up almost vertical the last 1".

I don't get hardly any wind on my face or body at all. Just the slightest little buffet on my neck which is only noticable when the temperature drops down around 40*F or lower. Warmer than that, it is just a small feather touch.

I rode Redwinger's 1500 a couple of days ago with a 20" windscreen. I didn't like it for cold weather, but can see how it would be nice in the summer.

The disadvantage of a very tall windscreen will be rain drops I suppose. But, It only rains here in Phoenix once a year for about 15 minutes. :cheeky1:

Actually, I have ridden in an extended rainstorm with it and did not find it bad at all. I keep the glass well waxed (Redwinger, hush up!:cooldevil:) and the drops just bead up and run off. I like it because I don't get wet when it rains unless I have to stop.

I am thinking of installing a vent on it for hot summer weather.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

AZ, i wish you new the brand of that screen. i have an after market screen on my v-strom that has that lip at the top of the screen and it works very well. no buffeting at all and buffeting was the worst problem the strom has. it was REALLY bad with the stock screen.
and as far as you only getting 15 minutes of rain a year, well, we only get 15 minutes of sun shine a year:p i have abuddy that moved to phoenix a couple of years ago from seattle and so far he likes it. does most of his riding in the winter months and doesn't come out of his air conditioned house in the summer.:shock:

cyclepath

AZgl1500 wrote:
I don't know the brand of the windscreen on my 1500, but it measures 29" tall when fully lowered. It has a slow reverse curve (towards the front) starting about 20" and turns up almost vertical the last 1".
But, It only rains here in Phoenix once a year for about 15 minutes. :cheeky1:

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
imported post

cyclepath wrote:
AZ, i wish you new the brand of that screen. i have an after market screen on my v-strom that has that lip at the top of the screen and it works very well. no buffeting at all and buffeting was the worst problem the strom has. it was REALLY bad with the stock screen.

I looked at my windscreen, it is stamped with:

Polycast
AS4 M-316
DOT 101

I did a search for the name Polycast in combination with various word groups based on the above and even with/without gl1500. Zilch

On my trip back on I-8, from San Diego yesterday, I hit some really bad cross winds west of Yuma just as I came down out of the mountains east of Jacumba, CA. I was surprised at how well the bike handled all that wind. And especially when passing the 18 wheelers, both on the up wind side and on the down wind side. I was leery at first, but felt it out and then with experience, I just went by them with alacrity. I am amazed at the combination of the bike and that windscreen. Very stable.

Going thru the sand dune country was bad, visibility was only about 1/8 to 1/4 mile. That was one time the big windscreen really paid dividends. I never felt a grain of sand. However, the back side of the screen really loaded up with a super fine dust silt. Had to wash it off when I got home.

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
imported post

I just found something that looks similar to mine. This one is a light grey tint, while mine has a rose tint.
HON-G50T GT3 29.5" Light Grey Tint
http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=24

The height dimension is the same as mine too. I wish the web site showed a side view. I think I will take a picture tomorrow in the daylight to give you an idea of the curve mine has in it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I just found something that looks similar to mine. This one is a light grey tint, while mine has a rose tint.

The height dimension is the same as mine too. I wish the web site showed a side view. I think I will take a picture tomorrow in the daylight to give you an idea of the curve mine has in it.
az, thanks for checking into the windshield and finding clearview. i'll write to them and ask a few questions. i'd like to see a pic of your screen.
thanks az,

cyclepath

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I like the looks of these shields. I think I just changed my mind as to what shield I'm going to replace mine with, thanks.:D

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
I like the looks of these shields. I think I just changed my mind as to what shield I'm going to replace mine with, thanks.:D
Looks like my Cee Bailey in shape, how does it compare in price? Both are made in acrylic which I think is better material than polycarbonate.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Jluvs2dive wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Looks like my Cee Bailey in shape, how does it compare in price? Both are made in acrylic which I think is better material than polycarbonate.
They look good AZ.... I've made note of the site ...Thanxx.... at around $140-150 price for a standard height it's not bad

Thanxx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.