Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 gl1800 trike. It was in a shed and some mice decided to make a home under the airbox on top of the engine. My wife went to get it out of the shed and started it and it caught fire. We pulled it outside and i got the hose going. It was hard to get it out because it was very difficult to get to. finally got it out. Left it sit for 30 minutes and tried to start it. BIG mistake. Started right up and immediately started on fire again. got it put out again. I decided to take things apart to see how bad. well the airbox had melted all over the top of the engine. burnt some wires and hoses 4 spark wire. I did get all the melted plastic off the motor. Don't really where to go from here. I know the dealer would probably want more than its worth. Any advice or help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Dave

·
Magic Moderator
4,591 Posts
Can you post pics of the damage?
All the great minds here can offer ideas.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,845 Posts
What could start a fire in the Air Cleaner box?
full of mouse nest I am sure, but what was the fire source?

the exhaust is no where near to that location.
there must be a wiring fault, causing a spark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the mice had their nest on top of the engine under the airbox. they had chewed on hoses wires and chewed 4 sparkplug wires.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,845 Posts
Ah,
most likely a Spark Plug wire touched it off

·
Magic Moderator
4,591 Posts
I would say it can be fixed, there are plenty of parts in a salvage yard. JMHO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody have an idea where to start? maybe a parts diagram?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,845 Posts
the Schematic is going to be hard to follow.
they don't make any attempts to place the lines on the page, near where the actual wires are in the Harness.

Look in your PM, I will send you one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John
Thanks for sending me this to download. It looks like this should help a lot. I got to admit I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to turn. There are a lot of caring folks on this site. thanks john for your help. I will keep you updated on my project. Thanks again Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know of cheap parts bike? even a salvage place that does not rip you off? Got screwed on an ecm in a bike salvage yard so am leary.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,845 Posts
these guys are big on eBay

·
Registered
17 Posts
Assuming the trike portion of your trike was not heat damaged I would look for another 1800 2 wheel bike the same color as your trike, and put your trike kit on that Gold Wing. Moth balls spread around floor under trike keeps mice away.
gumbyredd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts