Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just received the Firecreek HP-S tinted shield and made one ride. The windshield is more than I expected. Adjusted so that I can EASILY look over it (3rd position from lowest) it is MUCH quieter and calmer than the stock shield that I was looking THRU in the lowest position. The bike looks much sportier. I was amazed. Took about ten minutes to install. Only wish I had ordered the clear. For a little more money I can get a clear outer piece to go on this base and then have a clear and a tint. FYI the shield was $264 shipped and a second outer portion is about $130. Right now I feel like it's the best money I ever spent on a bike.

I wanted the radio, the CB, the air suspension, the intercom, the comfort.....but I did NOT want to look thru a shield. Now I'm not. Heaven. Bob

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob, post a picture of the shield on your bike so we can see it.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob, nice bike, I rather like the lines of the seat too, that is a bit different.

What a tidy garage, wish I could see that much concrete on mine!!

I am hopefully fitting the new tow bar today and it's kind of surreal, seeing a pic of the bike that has donated the wiring. :clapper:

By the way, where is the "other bike" I don't see it in the pic :goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Pete - I have the bike pretty much back to stock with no add ons except for the corbin seat. Comfy but hard, and way heavier than it should be. Actually changes the slow speed feel of the bike. I'm going to try something else (probably Hartco - I've had good luck with Mark Hartco) and sell this Corbin after the trip. Good luck with the trailer set up - ask if you need help. Bob

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Sweeeet looking ride:waving::waving: I bet it was tough to get used to looking thew that tinted shield..

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

You don't look through these shields, you look over. In the lowest position it looks like a shorty shield on a Harley bagger bike. In the upper position you can look through it but the tint is pretty dark. Like I said, I would recommend clear to anyone buying one - I kinda got "talked into" the tint by the sales guy on the phone (not Tom). Anyway, I plan on buying the clear HP - S outer portion as well as the "ST" outer portion (more trditional without a lip on top - meant to be looked thru). Some of you know I've been riding and trying different bikes and acceessorizing them for over thirty years. I am rarely as impressed as I am with this shield system. Bob

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Maybe you can't look through the "tint" but it sure looks "Cool" coming down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice looking "Bike" !:clapper:

The "Fonz" would give it a "Thumbs Up":cooler:!!!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey rkjjeep :waving:Nice windshield, :clapper: nice :15grey:, :clapper:but sadly the wrong colour.:crying:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

A 100 mile ride today and more feedback on the shield:

Tried my full face (it's what I use on longer trips) and noticed just a LITTLE turbulence that shakes the face shield a little with the shield cracked open. With the windshield in lowest position I get enough airflow to get cooling thru the helmet vents. I REALLY like seeing the road ahead without looking thru any kind of shield. This is cool.

I did notice that the bike behaves differently on the hiway - especially in a crosswind. Bike is more x-wind sensitive now - not a lot but enough to notice.

And I've never seen so many bikers going the other way do double takes before - they must not be used to seeing a GL coming at them with a guys head sticking WAY over a tinted shield.

Can still hear the radio just fine.

Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rkjjeep wrote:
I did notice that the bike behaves differently on the hiway - especially in a crosswind. Bike is more x-wind sensitive now - not a lot but enough to notice.
Bob
I'm surprised about the crosswind reaction, I'd have thought it would be the opposite. Perhaps it's because the crosswind hits you more now?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Cut approximately 2" off my stock screen and now get buffeted, passenger even worse. Did it because the screen was so scratched. Can't wait now for the replacement Cee Bailey to arrive!!

Pete

( Bob, you might be getting a PM from me later, on the wiring, almost there, just a couple of things to ask, unless I fathom them out)

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

When I replaced the windscreen on my '83 1100i I bought the cheap J.C. Whitney replacement that was the shortest in height. Didn't regret it. It fit where I was (mostly) looking over it rather than through it and was just high enough that I could slump a little and reap the benefits of looking through it to watch the rain.

When I replace the one on my current ride ('85 1200a) I will probably get the same windshield. I prefer the shorter, more sporty look and feel. The one I've got now feels like it catches a LOT of wind. It's a tall, wrap-around version that the sides curve down onto the fairing. Not sure I like it, but it's not bad enough that I'm going to replace it until it wears out.

(Oil, tires, air pressure, and now wind screens? Do we really NEED another item to cause dissension?!?!)

Ruaidh

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I also recently put an HPS on my 1500. Really like it. Good install instructions. I like to ride with an open face no shield and I can do so in perfect comfort and still look over the windshield.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Can't wait now for the replacement Cee Bailey to arrive!!

Pete
Great minds think alike, I just ordered a Cee Bailey windshield. It will be nice to be able to see through the thing when facing the sun. I went with the stock size since the OEM screen worked well for me, at least it would have if it weren't semi-opaque.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
I also recently put an HPS on my 1500. Really like it. Good install instructions. I like to ride with an open face no shield and I can do so in perfect comfort and still look over the windshield.
How does it work in the rain?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I tried to get my wife to lean out the car window and spray me with a tank sprayer while I followed on the bike but she wouldn't play. I'll have to wait for real rain. I think at speed the rain will hit the shield and go up and over with the airflow. Remember, this thing flows a lot of air between the base and the shield - keeps the airflow from collapsing back into the lower pressure area better. We'll see. Bob

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

UPDATE:

Still liking the shield but learned something on a long trip. With the shield adjusted so I can easily see over it a little turbulence rolls up BEHIND my head and pushes my helmet forward. Not a lot of force, but enough to make my neck and upper back/shoulders hurt after 4 hours or sofrom holding my head up. Not a problem on short rides. I put the stock shield back on and noticed a huge difference in pain - like there isn't any. I'm going to buy the "ST" upper portion to put on my firecreek lower portion so I can have the best of both worlds. Bob

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I think in an ideal world, screens would be two part, with an uper secction that slides up or down depending on weather conditions. The tall Cee Bailey is great in fine weather, but a nightmare in dark wet conditions. I seriosly think I will have to cut it down, just to be safe at night and in rain.

By the way Bob, the trailer wiring was as easy as you suggested and I am happily towing my little trailer around behind me now. So thanks again for the free parts, they were just the ticket.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Hey Pete! Any pics of the trailer?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.