Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OKay, my entire post seemed to vanish when it posted.. guess I shoulda hit the preview button :(

I recently aquired a 1980 GL1100 that I am currently changing out the timing belts and fluids on. When I removed the oil filter housing after wrecking the bolt(it was literally PAINTED on!), I discovered that the "Sealing Ring" that goes between the spring and filter was missing. Is there a replacement size at the Home Depot or Lowes that I can pick up, or am I going to have to hit up a dealer for this little fella? Does it actually do some "sealing", or is it there mainly to separate the spring from the filter's rubber gasket there?

Thanks,
Sam.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Almost all the bikes that have that style that I have ever bought have had that washer missing or in the wrong location. I never found any that were good sub. for the factory one from Honda. The last time I went to buy one they still had them, but are pricey for what they are (go figure).

From what I understand its there to protect the rubber seal from the spring so that the seal does not get cut and come apart going into the oil galleries, and to keep a proper seal at the bolt.

Bill

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My 1200 has 2 0-rings, one seals between the filter bolt and housing, the other seals around the outside of the housing. Inside all there is is the filter, a spring, and a flat metal washer that goes between the spring and rubber sealing surface on the oil filter. If the flat metal washer is what you are talking about, it is not for sealing, but to protect the rubber part of the oil filter from damage caused by the spring. It provides a nice flat surface area to be in contact with the rubber part of the filter.

I just checked the '80 parts fiche on CCP, and it is the same. I would replace that washer with the correct part. While it may work without it, it does serve a purpose, and it should last forever, it is not something you replace on a regular basis, like the 0-rings.

I am more concerned about the bolt. Assuming you are talking about the large bolt with all the holes in it, that is a major part of the lubrication system. A new one costs $42, but fortunately is still available if you need it. If the old one is damaged, I would definitely replace it.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

JerryH wrote
I am more concerned about the bolt. Assuming you are talking about the large bolt with all the holes in it, that is a major part of the lubrication system. A new one costs $42, but fortunately is still available if you need it. If the old one is damaged, I would definitely replace it.

Yeah, I shelled out the 3.75 for the new washer from the stealer. I also picked up an Emgo oil bolt while I was there.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

WELCOME TO THE BEST FORUM ... YOU'LL SEE IM RIGHT:congrats:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.