Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, looking to buy my first goldwing next spring and I was wondering what year and engine size to go with. I'm thinking from 88 to 96 will be a in my price range any input is helpful thanks.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Any Goldwing is better than no Goldwing:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I prefer the older 4 cylinder bikes myself, but if you are looking for a 6 cylinder, any year GL1500 will be fine. They came in several different versions, with different levels of standard equipment over the years. I prefer the more basic models myself but many Goldwing owners want everything INCLUDING the kitchen sink. You need to go by the condition of the bike (condition, not just mileage), and the options you want.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
imported post

From the years you have stated you have not left yourself the option of different engine sizes
unlike other bikes there was only 1 size Goldwing made during that time frame and that would be the 1500
back up and your looking at the 4 cylinder 1200
go forward a couple years and your looking at the 1800.All of coarse excellent bikes in there own right, as long as they have been taken care of
it really boils down to what you want and how big you want to go and what options you really want
Good Luck and I'm sure as you get closer to that purchase you can get the kind of intell here to help you get what will fit you best

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Best thing to do is find one you like and can afford, if there is any members in your area I am sure they would be happy to go with you to give it the once over...

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

You don't mention your level of experience, or whether you have ever ridden a heavy tourer before. If your just coming off of a CB125 - I'd start with a 1000-1200cc 4-cylinder. I just sold a nice 1200 Aspencade that ran like a Swiss watch for under 3k.

The 1500s are fantastic bikes - but they are big and fat, and the passenger sits up higher than "normal". If you have experience with a heavier machine, and are comfortable on one - I'd go for the 1500.

1500s are more of a PITA to wrench on than the 4-cylinders, too. That may be a consideration. You can't really go wrong with ANY liquid-cooled, Honda boxer IMHO.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

What size bikes have you ridden in the past, and what style of riding do you plan to do with your Wing?
I like my '83 Wing....only an 1100, but there are tons of spare parts out there, it runs well and can take the (gentle) abuse that I give her.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

What's the $$$ budget?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

mnmike wrote:
Hello all, looking to buy my first goldwing next spring and I was wondering what year and engine size to go with. I'm thinking from 88 to 96 will be a in my price range any input is helpful thanks.
> I'd start by asking How Much Work are you willing to put into it? If you want to just hop on and ride, then the newer bike (2000) will "likely" require less work, than the older one. On the other hand if you're the sort to completely tear down a used bike as soon as it's purchased, then it makes little difference what year you get, in which case go for the Older one, back to 1990... After you're done with the rebuild, then the old bike will be as reliable as a newer one.

> There is very little difference between the 88-00 yrs. I'd however avoid the 88 & 89 yrs, due to some variances in their rear ends (making it difficult to get spare parts); and some minor bugs that Honda did not get out (other than by recalls) until later.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
mnmike wrote:
> I'd start by asking How Much Work are you willing to put into it? If you want to just hop on and ride, then the newer bike (2000) will "likely" require less work, than the older one. On the other hand if you're the sort to completely tear down a used bike as soon as it's purchased, then it makes little difference what year you get, in which case go for the Older one, back to 1990... After you're done with the rebuild, then the old bike will be as reliable as a newer one.

> There is very little difference between the 88-00 yrs. I'd however avoid the 88 & 89 yrs, due to some variances in their rear ends (making it difficult to get spare parts); and some minor bugs that Honda did not get out (other than by recalls) until later.
I'd have to agree with Alex on this one, even though there are some really nice 88-89 models out there, those two models have cause a few minor headaches for people. But even at that, the 1500s of any year are great big reliable, comfortable, powerful machines, that with good care could last almost forever. There are timesI really miss my 93.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

Amen to that !!!:applause:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks to all for the replies. I've had a 500 custom and a v65. Price range around 6500. I'm going to look at some this weekend to get a better idea what I think looks best. again thank you. mike

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

That 6500 should get you a 1500 from 96-97 or later, depending on how bad the PO is hurting at the time.

If he is lackadaisical about selling, he will want 7500-8000 for a nice one.

If he is hurting, I have seen a primo 98 go for 5500 in my own territory right here. The guy was in severe need of cash to stay out of IRS jail....

Patience finds the right one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.