Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just made a round trip from Panama City Beach to Lafayette, LA and back. Total 876 highway miles running between 75-85 mph. I must say I was impressed with the performance of my bike. Averaged 43 mpg and never once coughed or hiccuped. Anxious to see if there will be any noticeable performance increase with a carb synch. Hard to imagine it could get any better than it was.

Now I have to work on the comfort issues. Especially with the seat and finding someway to extend the highway footrests out farther so I can stretch my legs. It seems my seat feels tapered in such a way that I feel like I'm tilted too far forward, putting too much weight on my wrists and hands. And there has to be a way to extend the highway footrests.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,097 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear that you had a great time. It is amazing how much fun you can have on a M/C trip. I sure hope the economy picks up so Nan and I can get some riding done soon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
658 Posts
imported post

Nice to hear. Glad you had a good trip. I'm looking forward to taking some sort of excursion myself. I think my wife is ready to head down to Rapid City with me and we will take some time and ride up Spearfish Canyon. Hope my bike performs as flawlessly as yours.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,803 Posts
imported post

Wonderful to hear after all the problems you went thru . Glad shes up an running down the highway for you now . For a day or so I thought you were going to toss in the towel . I am proud of ya for sticking it out to the end . They truly are sweet machines once the routine and heaviermaint is out of the way . May you have many safe miles of fun and relaxation now . :action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Back from a month offshore. Thanks OnaWing and everyone else. She sat covered for a month and fired right up when I got back off the boat. Another flawless 430 mile ride on the return home.

I would have thrown in the towel were it not for the encouragement and advice from the members of this forum.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,947 Posts
imported post

I run a set of Kuryakyn Offset Pegs set on the vertical bar of the case guards with the arms pivoted forward. At 6'3" tall with a 35" inseam, I can actually set them so that my legs are fully stretched out if I want to.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

I used to run Mick-O-Pegs when I ran a Wing, but.......... since I have a ST1300, I no longer need anything!

get them here:

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
Total 876 highway miles running between 75-85 mph. I must say I was impressed with the performance of my bike. Averaged 43 mpg and never once coughed or hiccuped. Anxious to see if there will be any noticeable performance increase with a carb synch. Hard to imagine it could get any better than it was.
If you were getting 43 mpg at speeds of 75-85 mphI don't think I'd touch the carbs. Most of the Wing's mileage drops into the 30's at speeds over 70. Out of curiosity, have you checked the speedometer's accuracy? Reason I ask is with my '86 if the indicated speed was 75 mph, I was actually doing around 68 mph, checked both by radar and a couple of GPS's. I didn't check any of the other 1200's I've had, but I've found that several others have said the same about their 1200's speedometers, + or -.

As for the pegs, good advice has already been given. What kind of seat do you have, stock or after market?

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
343 Posts
imported post

i had the forward floor board on mine and they just sit to close to the engine guards for any comfert , i had a set of foldup pegs so i mounted them as far forward as i could and then bought 4 u bolts and drilled holes in the floor boards and mounted them to the pegs ,had to cut the rubber where the nuts come thru the boards and ground everything down alittle and painted the nuts and bolts that was above the boards a flat black so they blended with the rubber , i removed the folding hardware off the floor boards , it made them look like they belonged on the pegs and painted the bottom of the pegs and boards , works great for me ,
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,841 Posts
imported post

actionpack wrote:
i had the forward floor board on mine and they just sit to close to the engine guards for any comfert , i had a set of foldup pegs so i mounted them as far forward as i could and then bought 4 u bolts and drilled holes in the floor boards and mounted them to the pegs ,had to cut the rubber where the nuts come thru the boards and ground everything down alittle and painted the nuts and bolts that was above the boards a flat black so they blended with the rubber , i removed the folding hardware off the floor boards , it made them look like they belonged on the pegs and painted the bottom of the pegs and boards , works great for me ,
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

"If you were getting 43 mpg at speeds of 75-85 mphI don't think I'd touch the carbs. Most of the Wing's mileage drops into the 30's at speeds over 70. Out of curiosity, have you checked the speedometer's accuracy?"

Have not checked the speedo's accuracy and that may be relevant. Based on how I was passing traffic on the Interstate, I would have to guess that the speedo is not that far off. Anyhow, even if it is, I'll take 43 mpg any day of the week. I also timed my trip and it was 436 miles in just a little over 8 hours. That includes three stops of about 20 minutes, one stop of about a half hour for rain. In order to err on the high side, let's say my total stop time was 1.5 hours. That means I averaged about 67 mph.

Comfort has become an issue for sure. I HAVE to find a suitable pad for the seat, which is stock. And I have to get some relief by being able to stretch my legs. I'm like MD, 6'4" tall and a 34" inseam.

Right now the seat makes me feel like I'm tilted forward somewhat. It takes conscious effort to lean back and keep that position. In otherwords it just doesn't feel normal.

Footpegs are a must and I would love to see some pics of how everyone has addressed this issue.

So, belly up to the bar guys, gimme your best on butt comfort and footpeg for long legs.

Thanks again everyone! It's good to be home for a couple weeks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

75 to 85 miles an hour is to fast for me to enjoy my wing,plus our speed limit is 65 mph max on most roads..........
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
75 to 85 miles an hour is to fast for me to enjoy my wing,plus our speed limit is 65 mph max on most roads..........
Different Strokes for Different Folks. Drive 65 down here and you'll get run over. What's the enjoyment in that? Speed limit on the interstate is 70 or 75.... we've made some progress down here since the Confederacy fell!

:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
Glad to hear that you had a great time. It is amazing how much fun you can have on a M/C trip. I sure hope the economy picks up so Nan and I can get some riding done soon.
RIDE OFTEN, RIDE FAR

My first long trip on a wing was on a 1999 GL1500, what a great trip that was 900 miles in 4 days. I had never been on a trip longer than 100 miles prior to that trip. I thought for sure I would get real tiered riding, but I found the wing to be so comfortable It was just a nice enjoyable ride.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
redeyes88 wrote:
75 to 85 miles an hour is to fast for me to enjoy my wing,plus our speed limit is 65 mph max on most roads..........
Different Strokes for Different Folks. Drive 65 down here and you'll get run over. What's the enjoyment in that? Speed limit on the interstate is 70 or 75.... we've made some progress down here since the Confederacy fell!

:D
Hmmm that means you were 10 to 15 over the limit :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Always have been....over the limit that is... weight limit, height limit, credit limit, speed limit, only 20 items lane limit, eat all you can for $5 limit, etc. Just the way I am. But I will keep a sharp eye out for PA. State Patrol should they decide to leave the jurisdiction and pull me over on I-10.

:cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
imported post

My highway pegs are on the vertical bar of the case guards about in the center. I have a 36" inseam and this allows my legs to have a slight bend with my feet on the pegs. I can also hang my feet over the pegs if I need to get my legs straight. I also have a back rest so I can rock back or set forward to change my seating position. The handle bars are set so that my arms are at about a 45 degree angle when setting up straight. My seat is a Travelcade that is cloth on top instead of vinyl. I have the seat moved to the back as far as it will go (there are three settings).

There are typically two issues (for me anyway) when it comes to seat comfort. One is the muscles getting sore from setting in the same position. adding highway pegs allow you to make changes in your position. The other is "monkey butt" and allowing air flow to this area helps prevent that. The use of a sheep skin pad, beads, or anything that will allow air circulation helps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
I run a set of Kuryakyn Offset Pegs set on the vertical bar of the case guards with the arms pivoted forward. At 6'3" tall with a 35" inseam, I can actually set them so that my legs are fully stretched out if I want to.
Pics would be great:clapper:I'm a short 6'4" and have an inseam of 34.5" and I wuld love to get the ol legs out there farther:action:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top