Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I haven't been on a ride more than 30 miles in 25 years. Back then I rode a V65 Sabre from Tucomcari, NM to Houston, TX (765 miles) straight through with only a minor amount of stiffness when I got off the bike. Last week I took the 84 Wing on a 3 hour ride - 1.5 hour each way with a stop for dinner in between.

My pansey butt was stiff for 2 days. I really thought the old girl would be more comfortable. She's always been very comfortable on my short commuter rides (daily to work).

Some of the things I learned from the ride:

- a 27 year old seat is not comfortable after an hour. It hurts in places I'd rather not have hurting.

- Need highway pegs for someplace other than stock to put your feet.

- Fairling lowers are still removed after doing some carb work. Without the lowers, a lot of heat gets dumped on your legs.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Every spring I got to get my butt back in shape :) Old foam can be helped a little by adding a gel seat cushion from Wal-Mart. Highway pegs are good. With the lowers a lot of heat gets dumped on your legs, I need a set of wind wings.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

My 1200 actually has the unmodified, factory seat on it for 90k miles, and 300 mile days are no problem for my old, somewhatbony butt.

You definitely have to break the keyster in for a long haul, tho - like j said. An hour commute to work helps, too.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Sheepskin, sheepskin, sheepskin.......

(Seriously, a good natural sheepskin will ease your "pansy butt!" And at about $60, it's a cheap solution; cool in the summer, warm in winter....we've learned to carry a couple of extra garbage bags to wrap it in when it rains.....one one the front, one on the back)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

remember that your seat has had 27 years to fall apart. regular use tends to break it down but so does the elements in the air. They loose their ability to cushion you. Sometimes a replacement seat is the only way to go. I don't recommend replacing it with a used seat off craiglist or ebay as those seats are just as old and will be just as bad. JC Whitney offers new replacement seats or you could have it re made. Don't go for a new seat cover because you need new foam rubber too.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I second CJ's recommendation for a sheep skin as a cheap fix.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My wife and I have averaged 600 to 700 miles a day when going out west.

We stop every 60 to 90 minutes and stretch out for about 5-10 minutes.

Works for us really well. When I ride I want to enjoy myself and not have a sore ***

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My 85 GL1200 seat is very comfortable, but I sure agree with the foot pegs and wings to get air to the feet and legs when they are on the factory pegs. I have short legs (29" inseam) and can barely sit on the bike flat footed, yet sitting on the bike, my toes are crushed up against the heads of the engine. Need a little more stretch room there, maybe a different seat that lets me sit back further when riding alone...... which is most of the time.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

When I got the bike not quite a year ago, the original seat was in shreds. Even the duct tape holding the foam down was ripped. So I bought a nice looking seat from a salvage yard. This nice looking seat is pretty bad after an hour on the road.

On my todo list is to have the orginal seat reapolstered with new foam and or gel. All the existing foam on this old pan is shot.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
My 85 GL1200 seat is very comfortable, but I sure agree with the foot pegs and wings to get air to the feet and legs when they are on the factory pegs. I have short legs (29" inseam) and can barely sit on the bike flat footed, yet sitting on the bike, my toes are crushed up against the heads of the engine. Need a little more stretch room there, maybe a different seat that lets me sit back further when riding alone...... which is most of the time.
Check to see if your seat will slide back. My travelcade has 3 notches in the "tongue" that fits up under the false tank. You loosen the two bolts on each side of the seat, release the latch in the fuel door and slide the seat forward or back. I did end up getting a trunk relocation kit to move my trunk back a little so I could slide my seat all the way back.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
Every spring I got to get my butt back in shape :) Old foam can be helped a little by adding a gel seat cushion from Wal-Mart. Highway pegs are good. With the lowers a lot of heat gets dumped on your legs, I need a set of wind wings.
Where is the "gel" seat at in wal-mart? I would be interested in one

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

1983goldie wrote:
jwhitmore44 wrote:
Where is the "gel" seat at in wal-mart? I would be interested in one
It's a seat pad, usualy find them in the automotive section where the seat covers are. They come in a black cloth cover and inside is a gel (rubber looking) pad that is smooth on one side and waffle looking on the other. The pad has a rubberized no slip bottom. They are priced at $19.95 (or somethnig close)

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

The older I get, the longer it takes me to rebound, so I just pace myself better. I don't stay in one position for too long and like Sethan12 mentioned regular interval stops help a lot.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Brian and Stethan have the right idea. I always start off with a few deep knee bends (I tell Linda I'm "checking something" down here) some stretches. I also wear the "no seams" sweat wicking" underwear, and a judicious amount of Anti-Monkey Butt" powder. Works for me.........

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
jobe05 wrote:
Check to see if your seat will slide back. My travelcade has 3 notches in the "tongue" that fits up under the false tank. You loosen the two bolts on each side of the seat, release the latch in the fuel door and slide the seat forward or back. I did end up getting a trunk relocation kit to move my trunk back a little so I could slide my seat all the way back.
Yea, I did check and I have the same setup for adjustments as you described. I have moved the seat all the way back along with the backrest. I don't think moving the seat back any further will do anything, but maybe if there was a way to lower the factory pegs about an inch would greatly improve the comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

FWIW:
If you were to adjust the handlebars higher, It makes you sit up straighter and changes the position of your butt on the seat.
From your avatar pic, your bars look a little low for my liking, but everyone is built a bit different.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

GreyDino wrote:
I haven't been on a ride more than 30 miles in 25 years. Back then I rode a V65 Sabre from Tucomcari, NM to Houston, TX (765 miles) straight through with only a minor amount of stiffness when I got off the bike. Last week I took the 84 Wing on a 3 hour ride - 1.5 hour each way with a stop for dinner in between.

...snipped...

Well, the logic I've followedupon acquisition of a bike is this: change out the seat (or add a beaded seat cover), put in new risers if needed, add hiway pegs for additional comfort for passenger and myself, play with air pressure in the shocks (if so equipped), add cup/drink holders for passenger and me, ensure tires are in good shape to give a good ride.... and the last step is...

Sell the bike, replace it with another one and start all over :)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
FWIW:
If you were to adjust the handlebars higher, It makes you sit up straighter and changes the position of your butt on the seat.
From your avatar pic, your bars look a little low for my liking, but everyone is built a bit different.
Without tearing anything apart, I looked at that but didn't see any way to adjust. I was going to wait till I did my front forks next week and see if there was a way to raise them as I do get a little shoulder fatigue on those longer stretches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.